By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bioshock PS3 a bust?

Did anyone really expect high sales??? It's a one year old game that got the repeated "No it will not be coming to platform B" treatment for months....... Most of the people that wanted the game would have bought and played it on the 360 or PC by now, don't you think???

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I think they only ported it to get it on PS3 before releasing Bioshock 2 multi-platform. They knew it wouldn't sell as well but its worth it to get the franchise onto the PS3 before the next one.

Clearly they were happy to be exclusive (timed at least) when 360 had big lead, now they see most strong multi-platform games sell roughly equaly on each and want to aim for that instead.

I suspect it'll have legs though, particularly once the price drops. It clearly rankled many that essentially the same game can be bought today for much less as a 360 release. While Bioshock is not a budget game offering it on PS3 for less than full price new game would likely have driven higher sales IMHO.

Although if PS3 fans want to make sure that games like Bioshock are always multiplatform they are going to have to get out and buy the damn thing in reasonable (sorry) numbers otherwise MS might well get a chance to make 2 a timed exclusive as well.  And while I don't consider myself a fan I will put my money where my mouth is and get it on PS3... I hate timed exclusives more than anything regarding console industry (which still still annoys me more than PC games due to exclusives, etc. which I don't like either).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Everstar said:
twesterm said:
I don't think any rational person is expecting it to be big. It will sell well because it's a great game, but nothing amazing.

I was never expecting it to be big but it has a great score on metacritic at like 95 or something so you would think it would do decent at this pace it looks like it will sell like Haze or Too Human or something.

well to be fair its only the eu sales data for launch week that you have provided.

i expect this game to have some legs, mabey after xmas the sales will pick up, theres simply to much new stuff on ps3 coming out before xmas end.

i expect lifetime of around 600k - 700k for this game. bioshock 2 will be different this time because its announced as multiplat. 2k should have released this same time as 360 version for maximum sales

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

It did 1/4-1/5 of the sales of the X360 version in the opening weeks.

For NA, I predict that it will sell 100k units which is approximately 1/4-1/5 of what it did in NA on the X360. So sales look right in line to me.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Never expected stellar sales to be honest....it wont be a bust though

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

Why should PS3 users buy this game at $60?  We can get it for the pc at $20.  2k made their profit on the 360/pc and whatever amount of money MS paid for them to delay the PS3 version.  The only reason they released it on the PS3 was to establish the product on the platform for Bioshock 2.  I will probably pick it up when it is half price.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

i know this is off topic but i didnt like the 360 demo ages ago, and i didnt like the ps3 demo a few weeks ago, but this week during some trades i did, i picked up ps3 bioshock to give it a go.

game is and runs imaculate

i was a few hours in when i got to the part when the owner drops mist in rapture and u have to find ingrediants includind the rose tree thingy.

its then i decided that bioshock is a delapetaded game, i took it back and got farcry 2 2day. dont let other shooters put you off farcry 2 its amazing.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ twesterm

Exactly.

I'd like to see your rationale for this. Bioshock is one of the most praised console shooters. If there is a large enough base for shooters on the PS3, which Resistance 1 showed a decent amount for this game should have sold well enough for itself.

As others have said, it's a year old game (PC and 360 users have already had their go and the new content isn't enough to justify another purpose) at full price going against shiny new games.

It's still a great game and couldn't be happier that PS3 only owners finally get to play it, but I just wouldn't expect anyything big from it.

As for comparing it to Resistance, remembe that Resistance got so much glory because it was released at a time when there really wasn't much else and Bioshock isn't your average FPS.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
axumblade said:
Everstar said:
twesterm said:
I don't think any rational person is expecting it to be big. It will sell well because it's a great game, but nothing amazing.

I was never expecting it to be big but it has a great score on metacritic at like 95 or something so you would think it would do decent at this pasce it looks like it will sell like Haze or Too Human or something.

Keep in mind, the game was released in Europe last week. It just got released in the US (and I'd imagine some other places in the world) this week. I don't see it topping a million overall but I do see a lot of PS3 fans ecstatic that they can play Bioshock finally.

You mean a minority of PS3 fans.

The game has been out for a while on the PC for 40$....

Pretty hard for the PS3 to compete with that....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Too many quality games coming out on the PS3 soon, so people will look at this game and go meh.... I will just wait for LBP, or R2. I did not expect people to buy this game at its current price.