By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iPhone Outsells Blackberry, Apple Earns over $1 Billion in Last Quarter

Apple sold 6.9 million iPhones in the three months ending in September, compared to RIM's 6.1 million Blackberries. Even though it isn't primarily a gaming device, add in iPod Touch sales and a you get a pretty serious video game hardware base.

Here are the DS and PSP sales for a similar period as a point of comparison:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 05th Jul 2008 to 27th Sep 2008:

Console PSP DS
Total

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/21/apple_4th_qtr_earnings/

Apple reported a stronger-than-expected 26 per cent rise in quarterly net profit as the gadget maker sold a record number of Macs, iPods, and iPhones and - for the first time - outsold Research in Motion's addictive CrackBerry.

For the three months ending in late September, Apple sold a whopping 6.9 million iPhones and generated revenue of $4.2bn. A jubilant Steve Jobs - who made an unexpected appearance on Apple's conference call with analysts Tuesday - pointed out that by comparison, RIM had sales of $2.1bn selling 6.1 million BlackBerry devices.

"Apple outsold RIM last quarter and this is a milestone for us," Jobs said. "RIM is a good company that makes good products so it is surprising that after only 15 months in the market we could outsell them in any quarter."

Jobs went on to declare Apple the third largest seller of mobile phones as measured by revenue, behind No. 1 Nokia and No. 2 Samsung.

During the same period last year, when sales were limited to the US, Apple sold just 1.11 million iPhones. Since then, Apple has refurbished the device to work on faster 3G networks and has expanded its market to 51 countries.

Sales of Macs and iPods also went gangbusters. The company sold 2.6 million computers, up 21 percent from the same period last year. Sales of iPods reached 11 million units, up 8 per cent.

Net income for the quarter grew 26 per cent to $1.14bn, or $1.26 per share, from $904m. Sales rose 27 per cent to $7.9bn from $6.22. While profit handsomely beat analyst forecasts, revenue fell slightly short of the consensus expectation of $8bn.

The dark cloud to Jobs's exceedingly silver lining was a forecast that was well below analyst expectations. Apple projected net income of between $1.06 to $1.35 a share on sales of $9bn to $10bn. Peter Oppenheimer, the company's chief financial officer, said visibility during October is always "foggy" as Apple tries to predict spending during the busy holiday period. The recent credit crunch and predictions by some of a recession are compounding that this time around.

"We may get buffeted around by the waves a little bit, but we'll be fine," Jobs said.

He said the current economic hard times may cause some customers to postpone purchases, but it was unlikely they would defect to competitors. He also said Apple, with its $25bn in cash, could benefit from current market conditions.

Wall Street must have heard something it liked. In after-hours trading following the report, Apple shares surged more than 13 per cent to $103.89. ®

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Perhaps I would have gotten a bigger reaction if I had used "iPhone Outsells DS and PSP" as my headline.

Oh, well.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Apple's brandname is really powerful now.

That makes perfect sense to me. The Iphone is pure win. Seriously, I like it and use it more then any other device I have bought, ever, and I include mac laptops in that.

I can browse the internet perfectly (and with zoom in its REALLY easy to browse full content sites), I get pretty fast internet browsing with 3G, way better then my first Iphone with edge and its damn near instant at home or on my college campus with wifi.

It has a GREAT screen for movies, seriously any video of decent quality (read not video camera shots of new releases you downloaded off bit-torent) looks amazing, and the genius shuffle for the ipod is great too (it puts songs that are related in an automatic custom playlist).

The best feature though, is pandora. It is an app based on the www.pandora.com internet radio service. Basically you put in any artist or song and it generates a radio station of related songs based on that choice plus it takes guidance (you can give thumbs up and down to certain songs and artists to better focus the stations content). Basically it turns the Iphone into the perfect radio station anywhere you get an edge or better signal, which is more or less everywhere if you live anywhere near a major city. Best of all, 100% free like a lot of the great apps are, vs 15 dollars for a feature thats not as good (just traditional internet radio) on the Zune. There are a ton of traditional internet radio apps too like AOL radio.

Yes it has more or less everything anyone could want in a device and its only 199 dollars. Especially compared to the Samsung crap I had before it, its just night and day. I don't even take my laptop with me to class anymore, I don't need it to look things up, check email, write down any info I need since I got the iphone.

Only one downside. If you use it heavily for more then 5 hours you need either A) a battery pack or B) a way to charge it on the go (car charger, wall charger ect). High functionality means high consumption.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

In two years gaming on mobile phones will be bigger than gaming on any Nintendo handheld.

Around the Network
illuminatus said:
In two years gaming on mobile phones will be bigger than gaming on any Nintendo handheld.

Please tell me your joking..

mM

@illuminatus

no pokemon on a handheld = fail

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@illuminatus

no pokemon on a handheld = fail

that didnt keep the PSP from selling 40 million units ^-^

mM
leo-j said:
illuminatus said:

Please tell me your joking..

you will see it

grossly unfair comparison, It would be like comparing last 3 months of MGS4 with last 3 months of Gears of War.

How many new Blackberry models were launched globally last 3 momths?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)