By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So how exactly is the PS3 going to outsell the Xbox 360?

mrstickball said:
psrock said:
yo_john117 said:
*sniff* I care who comes in second.

why?

When no one makes games for the Playstation 4, you'll understand. Ever looked at the atrocious lineup of 3rd party games on the Wii? That speaks volumes about how 3rd parties will treat your system if you don't do well.

Well ,lets see..

1)The atrocious lineup of third party titles for the Wii is more because of the very very weak hardware that doesnt allow to port the other plattform games that the "failure" of the Game Cube.The Xbox was quite close in sales to the Cube and yet you see all that third party support.

2)The PS4 would still get a lot of third party support even if it doesnt win.If the PS4 failed then we could have an arguement about the PS5 lets say in 2020.

3)The PS3 is selling lots of software for the traditiona developers(not THQ and other shovelware producers) and is unpiratable to the joy of the industry.I think developers are ,once the hardware learnt ,pretty happy with their PS3 sales and would support a PS4.

4)The PS4 if it uses the evolution of the Cell technology and a Nvidia card(the agreement was for many years) will already have the learning curve masterized by developers...they will jump into it without too much problem.

Around the Network

they have to keep the momentun

they only need to stay strong a year more to outsell the 360 something that will be easier to the ps3 due stronger first party ( gran turismo 5 being huge in europe), more reliable hardware, and all companies like capcom going multiplatform.

Once FF hits in Japan and GT5 hits in Europe it will be just about over for the 360.

A couple of points I'd like to make:

1. You assume that the market will cap at 200 million this generation. I could see the Wii alone surpassing the 200 million mark (though 150-180 is more likely).  I believe that the majority of ps2 owners are being split between the 360 and ps3 (just look at the sales of Madden, GTA, etc.), and that a very large portion of the Wii's sales stem from "blue ocean" gamers, and that many more of these new gamers will be brought into the fold before the gen is out.  I could see this gen easily breaking the 250 million mark for total consoles sold.

2. The ps3 is still very expensive in all regions ($399 USD, etc.), and there is plenty of room to grow sales via price cuts.  The 360 has used the price cut strategy to the fullest in Europe and Japan, and Microsoft has little left they can do in these regions.  Aside from a brief spike from Star Ocean 4 in Japan, North America is really all Microsoft has left.

3. The bell curve, as Kitler pointed out, does exist.  If you expect the 360 to be some amazing anomoly, then I can't help you there.

4. The ps3 still has two "system sellers" in it's deck, in the form of GT5 for Europe and FFXIII for Japan. 

makingmusic476 said:

1. You assume that the market will cap at 200 million this generation. I could see the Wii alone surpassing the 200 million mark (though 150-180 is more likely).  I believe that the majority of ps2 owners are being split between the 360 and ps3 (just look at the sales of Madden, GTA, etc.), and that the majority of the Wii's sales stem from "blue ocean" gamers, and that many more of these new gamers will be brought into the fold before the gen is out.  I could see this gen easily breaking the 250 million mark for total consoles sold.

2. The ps3 is still very expensive in all regions ($399 USD, etc.), and there is plenty of room to grow sales via price cuts.  The 360 has used the price cut strategy to the fullest in Europe and Japan, and Microsoft has little left they can do in these regions.  Aside from a brief spike from Star Ocean 4 in Japan, North America is really all Microsoft has left.

3. The bell curve, as Kitler pointed out, does exist.  If you expect the 360 to be some amazing anomoly, then I can't help you there.

4. The ps3 still has two "system sellers" in it's deck, in the form of GT5 for Europe and FFXIII for Japan. 

a level 5 RPG and Versus.

thats 4, ands what it's announced only.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

1. You assume that the market will cap at 200 million this generation. I could see the Wii alone surpassing the 200 million mark (though 150-180 is more likely).  I believe that the majority of ps2 owners are being split between the 360 and ps3 (just look at the sales of Madden, GTA, etc.), and that the majority of the Wii's sales stem from "blue ocean" gamers, and that many more of these new gamers will be brought into the fold before the gen is out.  I could see this gen easily breaking the 250 million mark for total consoles sold.

The only thing I wanted to point out that I thought was (most likely) false was that "the majority of the Wii's sales stem from "blue ocean" gamers" ...

There are no doubts that there are a lot of people who bought the Wii and haven't owned a home console in quite a while ... but all of the people I know who own XBox 360's and PS3's also own a Wii, on most web-sites and web-forums Wii owners outnumber XBox 360 or PS3 owners, and high quality (well known) 'Core' games on the Wii are selling at a very fast rate and seeing very high sales.

In other words, it is highly likely that the majority of Wii owners are conventional gamers who (probably) owned a PS2, XBox, Gamecube, Dreamcast or Gaming PC in the previous generation.

HappySqurriel said:
makingmusic476 said:

The only thing I wanted to point out that I thought was (most likely) false was that "the majority of the Wii's sales stem from "blue ocean" gamers" ...

There are no doubts that there are a lot of people who bought the Wii and haven't owned a home console in quite a while ... but all of the people I know who own XBox 360's and PS3's also own a Wii, on most web-sites and web-forums Wii owners outnumber XBox 360 or PS3 owners, and high quality (well known) 'Core' games on the Wii are selling at a very fast rate and seeing very high sales.

In other words, it is highly likely that the majority of Wii owners are conventional gamers who (probably) owned a PS2, XBox, Gamecube, Dreamcast or Gaming PC in the previous generation.

I guess "majority" wasn't the right word to use, as it does in fact imply greater than 51%.  My main point was that the industry is increasing rapidly this gen, and it's primarily a result of the Wii's success.

Edit: I changed "majority" to "a very large portion" in my post.

Jo21 said:
makingmusic476 said:

a level 5 RPG and Versus.

thats 4, ands what it's announced only.

Versus probably won't get too many FF fans in Japan to jump on board that didn't jump for the actual FFXIII.  In the other territories, I could see it making major FF fans pick up a ps3 that formerly only owned a 360.  Assuming it stays exclusive, of course.

And Level 5's stuff have never been system sellers, outside of Dragon Quest.  WKC should provide a spike in Japan similar to the spikes the 360 saw from recent JRPG releases, however.

sony will have more price cuts in 09/10 then 360 will have so ps3 will destroy 360 in those years.

I think a lot of PS2 owners are buying wiis ...I know 2-3 myself.But they buy it for the novelty and are buying or plan to buy a PS3 too.When they have both the bulk of the expenses goes to PS3 software and the Wii rests as a social machine for when the friends come home.Two of the 3 people I know with a Wii have pirated the Wii as they were used to pirate the PS2.