By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The state of consoles post-Moore's Law

Grey Acumen said:
vlad321 said:

Guessing you have been missing all the HD next gen Nintendo system talk out there with HD graphics and all. I doubt Nintendo won't do it, seems to be the only way for them to improve on the wii atm. That said, I'll keep this short:

1) assuming wii does go HD, and it's a pretty good assumption, the pattern of consoles becoming more like PCs will only continue.

2) Same as point 1). They are already lamenting the fact they didn't have a storage solution on the Wii and implementing one right now. Also with HD graphics next gen I don't see why it won't have installs and updates and all that still.

3)That only applies to games with platformer elements and that's it. For everything else it doesn't matter how precise you are and whether you are walking or running, well maybe sneaking games too, but it's funny that the beast seaking game is still on the PC, Thief 2.

4) Yes, Nintendo will be always making games but if everyone else starts making games for other platforms and no one other than Nintendo is making games for their system then it doesn't really matter. Nintendo alone would not be able to pull the entire console industry assuming everything else was dead or on another platform. While I agree that the Wii gets major points for innovation, the motion controls are used effecttively and uniquely only for the Wii games and other such party-like games, which many consider casual. I agree that you can't have party games on your computer, unless you do a lot of work on the set up first, so I guess that will always be a console only feature.

Okay, first off, a console being able to display in 1080 is not what makes it PC-like. That's just a display issue and it's utterly ridiculous to try to equate those together. On top of that, using an unconfirmed rumor to support your point is even more ridiculous. The only way Nintendo would include 1080p support in their next console is if enough 1080p capable TVs were actually in people's homes, in which case this is like including A/V jacks instead of RCA jacks, they're just following the standard that's already out there.

Second of all, the "storage solution" consists of making it easier to use SD cards. They haven't even come out and been clear of what the "solution" is going to involve. Even then, there's  adifference between "hey you want to play this game? poof the game is on your console now go play it" and "let instal wizard help guide you through the process of installing the game, do you want the big instal or the little instal, where should it be installed, etc"

Third of all, my issues to the controls apply to ANY game that has MOVEMENT that is not directly related to AIMING, and as to your issues with Thief, it plays better with a PS2 controller, I don't care if it was only released on the PC. The platform a  game is released on provides no proof of the benefit that platform's controls provide the game.

Finally, as long as Nintendo makes games for their console, 3rd parties will also develop games for that console as well, even if its just ports of PC games. On top of that, Nintendo has already set the Wii up to be able to do things that the PC won't ever do, which will also attract more developers.

You're acting like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are trains on some kind of track headed inevitably to their ultimate doom, but they AREN'T. If consoles stray too far into PC territory, those consoles will fail and leave behind the ones that were smart enough to stick to those things that seperate a console from a PC. In this particular case, Wii has chosen NOT to push the graphics department, NOT to incorporate a huge hard drive and come out with games that require a huge installation, NOT to focus on playing non-gaming media, and instead incorporate an innovative control setup that you will NEVER get on the PC, and most importantly NOT cost $300 - $600 right out of the starting gate.

To put simply, there is already a company that knows the difference between a PC and a console, and they have made a raving success of it. Consoles will NOT die out.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there. Obviously Nintendo has already started down the path of non-gaming features and mass storage. Look at what Nintendo is doing with the DSi, adding many non-gaming gadgets, I can see them doing the same to the wii. It also only makes sense that the next gen from Nintendo will try to remedy all the negatives of this current gen, unless they come out with something new and as innovative as the Wiimote they will probably up their graphics and multimedia support for next-gen. Otherwise why would it be next gen with no improvements?

I don't think I mentioned aiming anywhere, also I don't see where movement with such amazing precision would be needed outside of platformer games, or games with such elements. I guess racing games too, but you can get very cheap wheel/pedal addons for the PC which are far superiior than the normal kbd input and any analog stick input. I also don't know what Thief you've been playing, but the PC was much less annoing to control and manage than the PS2 version by a mile.

Sorry to disappoint you, but if the PC needed motion controls for its games then there will be motion controls, it's completely possibile to add motion controls to a PC if the need arises. As I stated above you just won't be able to bring the party-game environment to the PC platform, and Nintendo isn't the only one doing things like that.

Nintendo isn't but they way Microsoft and Sony are heading with adding more and more crap to their systems with every generation sure are. The more they add the less ease-of-use there is and the more problems the consoles start sharing with the PCs. Consoles need to back off on the useless and complicated stuff and just focus on their strengths, which is the ease-of-use and no hassle of just drop and start playing a minute later.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

Firstly, console success doesn't depend on any advances in technology.It's all about the games and how fun they are.

Ignoring that, I don't believe we will hit a limit in computer technology scaling - Moore's Law will hold for the forseeable future, and beyond that new forms of processing like spintronics, quantum computing, photon-based chips and so forth will allow features on subatomic scale.

I think a more pressing limit is how well programs and games in particular can scale to take advantage of these extra transistors - multicore isn't going too well even on 4 cores at present. What will it be like at 100+ like Intel, AMD and Nvidia seem to be aiming for with Larrabee and GPGPU?

This was published today at engadget.com

Researchers say new state of matter could extend Moore's Law

There's certainly been no shortage of folks trying to pin down an end date for Moore's Law, but there's also thankfully plenty of researchers doing their best to keep it going, and a team of physicists from McGill University in Montreal now say they've made a discovery that could keep the law alive even further into the future. Their big breakthrough is a new state of matter known as a quasi-three-dimensional electron crystal, which they discovered in a semiconductor material by using a device cooled at temperatures "roughly 100 times colder than intergalactic space," and then exposing the material to the "most powerful continuous magnetic fields generated on Earth." Unlike two-dimensional electron crystals, which lead researcher Dr. Guillaume Gervais equates to a ham sandwich, the quasi-three-dimensional electron crystals are in an "in-between state" between 2D and 3D, which could potentially allow for transistors to improve further as they run up against the physical limits imposed by the laws of physics.

vlad321 said:

You seem to be contradicting yourself there. Obviously Nintendo has already started down the path of non-gaming features and mass storage. Look at what Nintendo is doing with the DSi, adding many non-gaming gadgets, I can see them doing the same to the wii. It also only makes sense that the next gen from Nintendo will try to remedy all the negatives of this current gen, unless they come out with something new and as innovative as the Wiimote they will probably up their graphics and multimedia support for next-gen. Otherwise why would it be next gen with no improvements?

I don't think I mentioned aiming anywhere, also I don't see where movement with such amazing precision would be needed outside of platformer games, or games with such elements. I guess racing games too, but you can get very cheap wheel/pedal addons for the PC which are far superiior than the normal kbd input and any analog stick input. I also don't know what Thief you've been playing, but the PC was much less annoing to control and manage than the PS2 version by a mile.

Sorry to disappoint you, but if the PC needed motion controls for its games then there will be motion controls, it's completely possibile to add motion controls to a PC if the need arises. As I stated above you just won't be able to bring the party-game environment to the PC platform, and Nintendo isn't the only one doing things like that.

Nintendo isn't but they way Microsoft and Sony are heading with adding more and more crap to their systems with every generation sure are. The more they add the less ease-of-use there is and the more problems the consoles start sharing with the PCs. Consoles need to back off on the useless and complicated stuff and just focus on their strengths, which is the ease-of-use and no hassle of just drop and start playing a minute later.

Dude, again you're bringing stuff up that is yet to be confirmed with the DSi. So far all they have is that it can take pictures, and maybe view them? Sorry, but I DON'T see that going too far in depth. It does make sense for them to address storage and boost their specs a bit, but again, this does not a PC make, as it's pretty obvious that all of those features are going to be focused on primarily on the gaming aspect.

the problem you're running into is "NEED =/= WANT" Just because a keyboard is sufficient for a game doesn't mean that analog control won't make it more comfortable to use. As for Thief, I played the PC version, I just used a PS2 controller and mapped all the controls to that. It works quite well, provided you aren't utterly dependent on items and weapons being assigned to hotkeys.

And the PC doesn't need motion controls because no game that needs motion controls will be designed for the PC because there are no motion controls on the PC. Oh wait, there are, just that no one really noticed, which is pretty much the whole point. You think someone can come out with motion controls for the PC? Go ahead, tell me then. Which company is going to put them out? Microsoft? Dell? HP? Toshiba? What game are they going to use to push those controls? How are they going to market games for the PC that require motion controls when most people still have mouse + keyboard, and how are they going to market the motion controls for the PC when there aren't any games that need them?
This is the conundrum that all PC companies face. None of them are lare enough to make a signifigant innovative difference in the market within which they exist. Only console companies can do this, because they are the ones who decide their market.

And yes, I've made numerous posts that M$ and Sony are shooting themselves in the foot the way they're headed. Certain elements of PCs are going to be incorporated simply as part of the technology advancing, but I think Nintendo has still maintained a firm grip on those elements that seperate itself from PC gaming, and it's more than just party games.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

wow you guys are crazy..... and nice read scottie thanks

in any case, I do think that PS360 type of consoles is going to conflict with PC gaming, and it already has.. (Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 developped for all 3 at once), which probably is going to lead to the living room PC that tech companies have talked about for years.... and I don't think either MS or Sony would complain about that.

The Wii type console (as from the little I read GA is trying to talk about without being understood), still has a bright future. It's a game platform and not a multimedia platform, and that enables it to be much more bold in it's choices as it doesn't have the constraints of the other multimedia requierments....

my guess would be that in the future, we are going to end up with 3 ways to play.... Handheld, Console and "gaming"-multimedia Hubs that offer a catalogue including all PC games...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:
vlad321 said:

Microsoft? Dell? HP? Toshiba? What game are they going to use to push those controls? How are they going to market games for the PC that require motion controls when most people still have mouse + keyboard, and how are they going to market the motion controls for the PC when there aren't any games that need them?
This is the conundrum that all PC companies face. None of them are lare enough to make a signifigant innovative difference in the market within which they exist. Only console companies can do this, because they are the ones who decide their market.

As much as I dislike Microsoft, they do have the power to change PC gaming rapidly. DirectX 10 and Games for Windows are two recent examples. They're really going to push touchscreens next, with Windows 7, and that is certainly a "new control method" that could be used in PC games. I don't see motion controls on the PC as a huge obstacle if they wanted to do it.

However, I agree that consoles will always be focused on games more than the PC and that is why they will continue to exist. Nintendo, the most successful console company today, are never going to put their games on the PC.

Soleron said:
Grey Acumen said:
vlad321 said:

Microsoft? Dell? HP? Toshiba? What game are they going to use to push those controls? How are they going to market games for the PC that require motion controls when most people still have mouse + keyboard, and how are they going to market the motion controls for the PC when there aren't any games that need them?

As much as I dislike Microsoft, they do have the power to change PC gaming rapidly. DirectX 10 and Games for Windows are two recent examples. They're really going to push touchscreens next, with Windows 7, and that is certainly a "new control method" that could be used in PC games. I don't see motion controls on the PC as a huge obstacle if they wanted to do it.

However, I agree that consoles will always be focused on games more than the PC and that is why they will continue to exist. Nintendo, the most successful console company today, are never going to put their games on the PC.

wait, what's this? Our arguments whittled down to a fundamental point over which we agree? On the internet?

And they say miracles don't happen anymore :P

seriously though, I see your point on the touch screen issue, but the question I still have is if that is going to be able to be implemented enough that it becomes a standard that PC developers can specifically design a game around and not just have it as an option. I don't see this as being likely, but I'm not going to try to say impossible.

But yeah, Nintendo is really the only console this generation that has managed to define itself as being significantly different from a PC in terms of it's focus on gaming, different controls, low price and wide variety of exclusive games. Even if Nintendo gets more computer-like farther down the road, it will suffer when it does and in reaction pull back away from the things that make it computery on any following iterations.

Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

The PC vs console argument is funny since consoles are becoming more & more specialized PC's as time goes by. Consoles even have their own operating system now.

Grey Acumen said:

The real problem with this whole idea is that it's NOT any technical achievement that allows consoles to remain viable despite the presence of PCs.

Consoles have and ALWAYS will have certain key features that NO PC will EVER have:

1) Hardware specs that remain consistent through every console of the same type. Every Wii can play every Wii game, Every 360 can play every 360 game. There is no minimum specs, or incompatible graphics card because they are designed SPECIFICALLY for that system.

That can be applied to consoles as well,"OMG I CANT PLAY GEARS OF WAR ON MAH XBOX 1 WTFBBQSAUCE"

And with a high end PC you wont need to upgrade for 10+ years more than a console life,but people are gonna say "TEH PS3 10 YEAR PLAN" there will be a PS4 released in 6 years into the PS3 life so yea...

Garnett said:
Grey Acumen said:

The real problem with this whole idea is that it's NOT any technical achievement that allows consoles to remain viable despite the presence of PCs.

Consoles have and ALWAYS will have certain key features that NO PC will EVER have:

1) Hardware specs that remain consistent through every console of the same type. Every Wii can play every Wii game, Every 360 can play every 360 game. There is no minimum specs, or incompatible graphics card because they are designed SPECIFICALLY for that system.

That can be applied to consoles as well,"OMG I CANT PLAY GEARS OF WAR ON MAH XBOX 1 WTFBBQSAUCE"

And with a high end PC you wont need to upgrade for 10+ years more than a console life,but people are gonna say "TEH PS3 10 YEAR PLAN" there will be a PS4 released in 6 years into the PS3 life so yea...

Totally missing the point.

I have a Gamecube. I have a Gamecube game. Knowing just these 2 facts, can you tell wether or not my game will work? I can say with 99.999% certainty that I will be able to put that game in, and it will play.

Now, same scenario; I have a PC, I have a PC game. Knowing just these 2 facts, can you tell wether or not my game will work?

Fact is, without asking both what the game is, as well as what type of specs the computer has, which will include, ram, harddrive space, proccessor speed, graphics card and OS, you will not know for certain if a game can play at all or correctly(with or without a patch) on that PC. That's why PC games have a "minimum specs" category. Even then, just because it's playable doesn't mean it looks GOOD while it's playable.
Wow, I saw my friend playing this awesome game. It's only $40 for that and it looks great. I'll go buy it and put it on my PC, it says I meet the minimum specs. Why does it look like crap on my computer? Oh right, just because I CAN play it on my computer doesn't mean it'll look like what I was willing to pay $40 for.

Say what you will about how cheap and easy it is to build a high grade PC or how cheap it is to upgrade, the average consumer doesn't want to be bothered.

Consoles will ALWAYS be here.