By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank is pulling a Splinter Cell.

Ratchet and Clank is one of my favourite video game series. So was Splinter Cell, once.

Now, Ratchet and Clank Future seems to be distancing itself from the earlier games somewhat, with this new "Clank's gone missing" story arc. This is basically adding a whole bunch of unnecessary continuity to the whole thing.

Splinter Cell did something similar. It tried to break the formula of the old games which everybody loved and brought us Double Agent. Which nobody liked. Guess what they did. That's right, they're making a sequel with the same story arc.

The key difference is that Tools of Destruction was very good (ignoring the lack of multiplayer). But I really hope that the next R&CF doesn't become like Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Please, Insomniac, once you're done with Resistance 2, dump this horrible storyline and go back to the wonderful PS2 days, where there was little to no continuity and the plot of every game involved killing a megalomaniac alien. Please. Everybody loved Ratchet and Clank in those days. I want to be a loyal fan, please don't stop me being one.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

So a lack of storyline actually is GOOD for you?... Go figure...

Let's just wait and see what happens. The Ratchet is missing storyline did lead to Quest for Booty, which I though was rather good, as it focused more on the platforming elements

Munkeh111 said:
Let's just wait and see what happens. The Ratchet is missing storyline did lead to Quest for Booty, which I though was rather good, as it focused more on the platforming elements

Compared to the rest of the series, Quest for Booty is a letdown.

And story isn't a bad thing. In fact, it's a very good thing. However, in a spontaneous game like Ratchet and Clank, carrying stories over from game to game does not work. Especially when that story involves Clank not being there. Both of the worst critically acclaimed Ratchet and Clank games lacked the robot.

In a game like Resistance or God of War, a permanent story is necessary, to add to the tension. In a relaxing game like Ratchet and Clank, a story shold begin and end within the game, with a few features (like Captain Qwark) returning.

Kantor said:

Ratchet and Clank is one of my favourite video game series. So was Splinter Cell, once.

Now, Ratchet and Clank Future seems to be distancing itself from the earlier games somewhat, with this new "Clank's gone missing" story arc. This is basically adding a whole bunch of unnecessary continuity to the whole thing.

Splinter Cell did something similar. It tried to break the formula of the old games which everybody loved and brought us Double Agent. Which nobody liked. Guess what they did. That's right, they're making a sequel with the same story arc.

The key difference is that Tools of Destruction was very good (ignoring the lack of multiplayer). But I really hope that the next R&CF doesn't become like Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Please, Insomniac, once you're done with Resistance 2, dump this horrible storyline and go back to the wonderful PS2 days, where there was little to no continuity and the plot of every game involved killing a megalomaniac alien. Please. Everybody loved Ratchet and Clank in those days. I want to be a loyal fan, please don't stop me being one.

Uhm what ? From what I've heard everybody loves that game. (And so do I)

Around the Network

I have full faith in Insomniac

trust them.....& you will be rewarded

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Kantor said:
Munkeh111 said:

And story isn't a bad thing. In fact, it's a very good thing. However, in a spontaneous game like Ratchet and Clank, carrying stories over from game to game does not work. Especially when that story involves Clank not being there. Both of the worst critically acclaimed Ratchet and Clank games lacked the robot.

In a game like Resistance or God of War, a permanent story is necessary, to add to the tension. In a relaxing game like Ratchet and Clank, a story shold begin and end within the game, with a few features (like Captain Qwark) returning.

a game that is 4 hours long that focuses on gameplay and story is a let down.... what?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Quote: Both of the worst critically acclaimed Ratchet and Clank games.

I'm lost...are they the worst or are they critically acclaimed?

Kantor said:
Munkeh111 said:

That's why they made R&C Future a little more "mature".

kspraydad said:
Quote: Both of the worst critically acclaimed Ratchet and Clank games.

I'm lost...are they the worst or are they critically acclaimed?

I suppose it didn't make much sense. Deadlocked and Quest for Booty have the lowest ratings, and in my opinion, Up Your Arsenal was better than Deadlocked and Chaos Theory was miles better than Double Agent.