By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Return of the CHUMP box! 9800GT, 4gb ram, 2.7ghz AMD 5200+, $348 + shipping

3 questions

1. Are these parts well made and durable. Can I trust them to last?

2. I know nothing about AMD CPUs so does this build offer a good path to upgrade. I mean the Chipset doesnt even offer PCIe x 16 2.0. So technically wouldn't the video card get gimped?

3. How well will the build run Crysis, DMC4, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed?

Also does the case promote good air ventilation

Around the Network
shakunage said:

3 questions

1. Are these parts well made and durable. Can I trust them to last?

2. I know nothing about AMD CPUs so does this build offer a good path to upgrade. I mean the Chipset doesnt even offer PCIe x 16 2.0. So technically wouldn't the video card get gimped?

3. How well will the build run Crysis, DMC4, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed?

Also does the case promote good air ventilation

1. It has all name brand components where it counts. Everything is rated at least 4 eggs. So yes you could. The only potential issue might be the motherboard, but another $20 thrown in that direction would sort that issue if you percieve it to be a problem.

2. AMD CPUs are pretty good, they offer a good balance between price/performance so essentially its at least as good if not better than the equivelent Intel CPU. PCI-E version isn't saturated by even the heaviest of current video cards so its not likely to be an issue.

3. It would run them all pretty well, especially Bioshock/Assassins creed. Crysis hardly runs well on anything but it should be playable at medium/high settings depending on your preference.

4. It has an 80mm fan, and the PSU fan is 120mm. This is more than enough if you don't intend to overclock it.  

Tease.

I've heard the case has sharp edges. Any ways to get rid of these?

These are all good name components...and if one particular component doesn't satisfy you...it only takes an additional $10-$30 to bring that component up to something superb.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Go CHUMP box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

but I liked the original better :(

good idea, looks like a reasonable build for an inexpensive gaming box. i gotta say that doing that many MIRs would be a bit of a pain.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

sorry for Noob questions but does the motherboard allow for a good upgrade path? Cause I mean it only allows up to 4gb of ram....

shakunage said:
sorry for Noob questions but does the motherboard allow for a good upgrade path? Cause I mean it only allows up to 4gb of ram....

You shouldn't need more than 4 GB of RAM for a long time...maybe in 4 years 6 or 8 GB will actually be useful for games, but for now, you won't notice anything over 2 GB of RAM even in Crysis...any more than 2 GB is simply better for lots of multitasking and heavy computing.

Unless you're going to be working on 10 Photoshop projects, browsing with 50 tabs open, watching the debates while listening to music with Crysis on pause, you won't need more than 4 GB of RAM, and 2-3 GB will do just fine.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Chump box version 3: No rebate edition.

Case: Rosewill R218-P-BK Mid Atx: $22

Power Supply: Rosewill RG430-2 430W: $50

Total Case/Powersupply: $72 - $10 (Combo) = $62

Rosewill powersupplies and cases and consistantly rated 4 eggs or higher and from reading the user reviews they take care to attempt to solve peoples issues which they have. This case has a 120mm fan instead of the 80mm fan offered by the other build for better air flow and the 430w PSU is rated for 1 PCI-E 6 pin adapter so its good for any GPU up to the 4850 *Correct me if im wrong, 1 PCI-E 6 pin right?*

So if you want you can replace the Case/PSU of the above build with these as they are simply better value.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7ghz: $66

GPU: EVGA 9800GT 512mb GDDR3: $125

Total GPU/CPU: $191 - $20 (Combo) = $171 *Note there is a further $25 MIR rebate to be had if wanted*

The CPU/GPU power are quite evenly matched here. They should give you good performance without overspending on any one particular area. Benchmarks for the CPU and the GPU can be found by following the links.

The reason to go for EVGA is that they are an extremely reputable brand, so you can be sure your purchase will be supported and you get the option of "stepping up" to a faster graphics card within 90 days of your purchase should you decide you need more performance.

Motherboard: ECS Geforce 7050M-M AM2+: $45

This motherboard comes with a 1x16 lane PCI-E version 1 slot, 4 Sata slots, 2 ram slots, IDE, 2 PCI and onboard HD Video. It supports everything up to the Phenom Quad cores but not FX models. It does some basic overclocking so if you want some more juice out of the 5200+ you can get it. 

*Note as im not much of an overclocker im not sure how the memory would support it that I chose* 

Memory: Either, 1x2gb stick of GSkill DDR2 800 Ram, or 2x2gb stick of GSkill DDR2 800 Ram: $25 or $48

Optical: LiteOn Dvd Burner: $24

Hard Disk: 250GB Seagata HDD OEM: $50

Total Sata accessories: $74

Total Without MIR and one 2gb stick of ram: $377 ($352 with one $25 EVGA rebate)

Total Without MIR and two 2gb sticks of ram: $400 ($375 with one $25 EVGA rebate)

So there you have it, even better than ever a fast system for all purposes.

Tease.