By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

@hanafuda: You obviously ignore all the counter reasons to your ignorant arguments, which means you are trolling. Same for Diomedes.

A game can't sell to people who are not interested in it, as simple as that. It may have not been a quick cash in, but it's a game made obviously for people who watched or at least know about the movie.

As for PES, Diomedes, I know you like trolling but this is just too much, troll. PES was launched on the Wii months later than the PS3 version, it featured a drastically changed control scheme, had a new title "playmaker" and had reduced content. Yet it sold more than 100k, which is pretty good for a game that was released on every other platform months ago and that was a complete new experience (we should know, it's Konami, they are dirty).

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

I was hoping better for Wii Music.

trestres said:
@hanafuda: You obviously ignore all the counter reasons to your ignorant arguments, which means you are trolling. Same for Diomedes.

A game can't sell to people who are not interested in it, as simple as that. It may have not been a quick cash in, but it's a game made obviously for people who watched or at least know about the movie.

As for PES, Diomedes, I know you like trolling but this is just too much, troll. PES was launched on the Wii months later than the PS3 version, it featured a drastically changed control scheme, had a new title "playmaker" and had reduced content. Yet it sold more than 100k, which is pretty good for a game that was released on every other platform months ago and that was a complete new experience (we should know, it's Konami, they are dirty).

Look ,little troll ,you may create all the excuses on the world it wont change a thing.PES on the Wii sold decent numbers but 1/3 of the PS3 version....it had a new control scheme and what not but precisely its the "new controls" what is being dubbed by Nintendo as the key to their success.Thing is ,in traditional games their "new controls" suck.And will continue to suck.As for the reduced content it will always be like that ....SD graphics, ,no online ,less options ,you name it.Thats why I am saying the situation will keep like that.The Wii will alwas be technically limited,it will always have less content ,it will have its waggle controls that core gamers arent so fond as casual gamers.OF course a big game as MH3 can succeed here and then ,just as Mario Galaxy succeded,but the Wii demographics and buying patterns are quite clear right now and we have seen this more than enough.The Wii is no PS2 regarding a lot of issues and it will never be it just doesnt have the features (technical prowess ,storage,controls,online infraestructure,you name it)it would need to be the choice console for both casual and core players.This is a different situation that last generation ,and this time the Wii may be very succesful and all but wont get the big games because of that.

Diomedes1976 said:
trestres said:

Look ,little troll ,you may create all the excuses on the world it wont change a thing.PES on the Wii sold decent numbers but 1/3 of the PS3 version....it had a new control scheme and what not but precisely its the "new controls" what is being dubbed by Nintendo as the key to their success.Thing is ,in traditional games their "new controls" suck.And will continue to suck.As for the reduced content it will always be like that ....SD graphics, ,no online ,less options ,you name it.Thats why I am saying the situation will keep like that.The Wii will alwas be technically limited,it will always have less content ,it will have its waggle controls that core gamers arent so fond as casual gamers.OF course a big game as MH3 can succeed here and then ,just as Mario Galaxy succeded,but the Wii demographics and buying patterns are quite clear right now and we have seen this more than enough.The Wii is no PS2 regarding a lot of issues and it will never be it just doesnt have the features (technical prowess ,storage,controls,online infraestructure,you name it)it would need to be the choice console for both casual and core players.This is a different situation that last generation ,and this time the Wii may be very succesful and all but wont get the big games because of that.

First of all, learn how to use proper punctuation... It's getting on my nerves, your use of the coma is just terrible.

Then second, bolded, keep repeating that to yourself, even when you know it's just the biggest lie ever made. If it makes you happy do so, but just don't expect all those games to be on the HD's either. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

PES08 could have sold better had it included both forms of play, traditional and motion/pointer based schemes. Fans of a sports game are very reluctant to change when it comes to controls, they have a proper gameplay formula and they would need to learn it all over again. Besides PES08 was released like half a year later on the Wii than on the rest of the platforms, so only an idiot would expect higher sales. Reduced content only boils down to the developers, Nintendo has nothing to do with it. Online play was present in PES08, troll, as for the rest of the modes, Konami's choice not to include them, but gamers aren't stupid and will not keep on buying a crappy game. Konami promised a full experience for PES09 this time, though it will still face the same fate release date wise.

And you said it, big games sell big on the Wii, just as big games sold big on the PS3. The only difference is that the Wii saw hardly any big 3rd party game in Japan this gen, while the PS3 saw tons so far. The worrying thing for Sony is that they are running out of big 3rd party games, as most of them were announced before the Wii had become successful. We can now expect most of the 3rd party home console announcements for Japan to be for the Wii, and that includes big core franchises.

It will be funny to see your facial expression once quality games start hitting the Wii early next year. Funny times ahead.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

mrstickball said:

See, here's the problem: The X360, PS2 and PS3, despite their userbases, manage to sell core titles. Not as much as they used to, but despite the userbases, there have been some successes, again despite the user bases.

You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase.

Here's the damning list against the Wii of Top 3rd Party Console Games. All next-gen systems, with games above 100,000 units sold:

System Title Units Sold
PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 652,101
Wii Dragon Quest Swords 502,193
PS3 Dynasty Warriors 5 411,405
PS3 Winning Eleven 2008 321,462
PS3 Devil May Cry 4 311,530
PS3 Gundam Mousou 298,005
PS3 Yakuza 3 277,287
Wii Resident Evil: UC 276,993
Wii Deca Sports 246,045
Wii Dragonball Z 3 244,432
Wii Tales of Symphonia: DoTNW 237,059
PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 171,399
X360 Tales of Vesperia 153,125
PS3 Ridge Racer 7 153,026
PS3 Valkyria Chronicles 150,324
PS3 Blade Storm 141,905
PS3 Gundam: Target In Sight 139,296
Wii Resident Evil 4 138,593
Wii Powerful Pro Baseball 138,252
Wii Family Trainer 137,380
Wii Family Ski 136,566
PS3 Soul Calibur IV 133,973
PS3 Call of Duty 4: MW 128,754
PS3 Pro Yakuu Spirits 111,546
Wii Gundam 0079 111,091
Wii Chocoboo's Mysterious Dungeon 110,220
PS3 Disgaea 3 108,977
Wii Winning Eleven Playmaker 108,803
Wii One Piece Unltd. Adv. 107,594
X360 Infinite Undiscovery 106,403
Wii Master of Festivals 104,960
Wii Shiren the Wanderer 3 103,772
X360 Dead or Alive 4 103,150

Wii Total Sales 2,703,953

PS3 Total Sales 3,510,990

X360 Total Sales 362,678

As it stands, The Playstation 3 is the best seller of 3rd party software over 100k (and most likely entirely). Period. Maybe that's me, but if console has almost 1/3rd the hardware units in the wild, yet are outselling your competition, there's a massive problem. I'm not going to comment further than this, because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

I think you need to look a little more closely at that list because it's quite deceptive. For starters, look at how many key franchise installments are on there, and which platform they are predominantly on; the PS3 of course. Metal Gear Solid 4 had been anticipated in Japan for a long time, and would have sold a large amount regardless of the platform. Next we see DW, Pro Evo, DMC, Gundam and Yakuza; all of these franchises have followings in Japan and are proven sellers on platforms other than the PS3 so it's no surprise to see that they still sell now. A little further down there's Ridge Racer, another proven seller, and so on.

Conversely, look at the Wii's top sellers. A Dragon Quest spinoff. Yes, a SPINOFF manages to outsell every PS3 third party title here bar one of the highest profile games released so far this generation. Further down the list, a Resident Evil spinoff has managed impressive sales. We're still waiting to see the first key third party title here. Deca Sports, a game taking advantage of the Wii Sports phenomenon, sales reflect this. Still not a key third party title to be seen. That is until Dragonball Z and what's this? It has outsold the PS3's Dragonball title quite comfortably. This is the first fair comparison we can make given that both titles are main installments in a recognised franchise that's proven to shift units, and the Wii comes out on top.

Next on the list is Tales of Symphonia: DoTNW, seemingly not a mothership title as Namco-Bandai likes to put it, but not entirely a spinoff either and the original on Gamecube sold strongly. Sure enough it has managed to outsell Vesperia on the 360. The gap isn't as gigantic as it perhaps could/should be which suggests the Wii's fanbase isn't as core-concentrated. No surprise there.

Further down there's Resident Evil 4, a port of the Gamecube version. No surprise that it hasn't sold remarkably well given the very machine it's on can play the Gamecube original. We don't really have an equivalent title on the PS3 to compare to though. Then of course further down we have the Wii's edition of Pro Evo. Sadly this was released months after the PS3 version which hurt it, and it wasn't pushed at release which hurt it further. The PS3 version managed to triple the Wii version's sales which, even with the Wii version's release disadvantage in mind, is a clear win to Sony.

Overall I think it's fair to say that there just haven't been enough (heck, arguably any) major third party releases on the Wii in Japan to make a clear judgment on what you're suggesting. Monster Hunter 3 will be the first big test.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
@outlaw

Here, I'll just skip to your third paragraph and forget the rest.

I have no solid proof. But considering they shipped little copies I'd say you can easily come to the conclusion that they didn't really have uber high hopes for the game and even if it sells 40-50% they'd likely consider it a success for a niche game like that.

I know you just "skipped" it. You must have had to do that earlier because half of your post had nothing to do with what I said.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I cant wait till 2009 I still dont get it why some members here cant accept the truth... The Wii is winning, they have more 3rd party quality support as usual especially japanese 3rd parties and the sales of the Wii compared to HD consoles are wider than ever before as month passes. Even Neogaf themselves accepts it

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
I cant wait till 2009 I still dont get it why some members here cant accept the truth... The Wii is winning, they have more 3rd party quality support as usual especially japanese 3rd parties and the sales of the Wii compared to HD consoles are wider than ever before as month passes. Even Neogaf themselves accepts it

or either you are in a hard denial, considering the wii userbase the wii RIGHT NOW, should be outselling ps3 and 360 third party together, especially in japan.

but it isn't.

Jo21 said:
yushire said:

or either you are in a hard denial, considering the wii userbase the wii RIGHT NOW, should be outselling ps3 and 360 third party together, especially in japan.

but it isn't.

Yushire is acting strange today:  http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45886&start=50

Soriku, why are you getting involved in this drama? You should know by now that when Sony fanboys focus so intensely on something they hadn't acknowledged before (Sky Crawlers), that it's simply deflection. They're hiding something and they're trying to take attention away from it.

I realized this last year when Ratchet & Clank debuted to poor sales. Sony fans had been hyping and droning on about that game, then all of a sudden it comes out and all the Sony fanboys are claiming that Mario Galaxy flopped in Japan. Uh, what? It was simply a distraction. I had been wondering why none of them was talking about a game they had been hyping for months on end.

This is a similar situation. Think about. Who are we talking about? Namco. What was the last big game they released? Eternal Sonata for the PS3. Sony fans claimed that it would move hardware, outsell the 360 version week 1, etc. None of that happened. The game flopped hard, and it won't even outdo the 360 version by the end of its lifetime. That's bad. Hence, the deflection.

Anyone who's been paying attention knows that Namco isn't going to drop development on Wii over the underperformance of a licensed game. They've got like 15 Wii games in development now, including the big gun, the next Tales. If anything the PS3 is going to get dropped, because of the 3 consoles it's the one they've supported the least. And that scares the people in this thread.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"