By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Am I the only PS3 owner NOT excited about LBP?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I think you're in the minority on these forums, but the mass majority of PS3 owners worldwide.

Also, when cuddly cute creatures are on Nintendo consoles, they're for kids, but when they're on the PS3, they're for everybody...or didn't you get the memo?

It's really not only these forums that I'd be the minority in, if anything it seems that the "hardcore" fanbase of the PS3 install base are the ones most excited about LBP. Given that the "core" fanbase probably takes up the mass majority of the PS3 demographic, I'd say that existing PS3 owners would buy this game but I can't say the same about LBP's ability to move consoles or expand the userbase.

Other than that, Nintendo's cuddly cute creatures can't exactly ride a giant penis into a vagina to complete a stage...

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Whoa! Stop the thread! You guys that played the Beta didn't like it? Well, there's way too much good coming out in the next several weeks for me to buy a less than stellar game. I'm gonna rent it first. Thanks for the heads up.

-thread can continue now

Dude, that's our opinions on the game. I just said I'm not purchasing it day one because I recently just picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for the PS3. So clearly LittleBigPlanet will not be bought until I finish Uncharted.

I would rent and see if you like it. The gameplay videos don't really justify the game though. You should actually play it with the controller to get a better feel and the user created levels will really give this game some legs!!!

But to be honest the whole standard platform thing is what keeping me from playing it. I have two platformers I'm playing right now, and that is New Super Mario Bros. for the DS and Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii.

Sadly after playing the Beta, I turned my "Will get it" opinion to a "Might get it" opinion.

Turned out to be not my cup of tea, don't have the time or patiance to doodle with it.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Despite the avatar, I wasnt very excited. But after playing the beta, its going to be too hard to miss out on this one. Its not revolutionary or one the best game games ever made, but it is very fun and a nice change of pace.

One thing about this game is it's played in sessions like a casual game, so you can play in sessions of 10 or 15 minutes at a time and not be required to play for very long to get the best out of the game. In that sense, it's built around a casual play schedule.

On the other hand, the meat of the game for core players comes in the level creation.

In this way, it is different from a game like Galaxy, who has the same "wonder" base casual appeal, but builds its core appeal around the collecting of stars, increasingly difficult stars to obtain, and nostalga, rather than a custom level creator.

That's why the game doesnt' appeal to me as heavily as it could. I know that being enthusiastic about the level creator could lead to all kinds of great rewarding self satisfaction...however I've always been an advocate of "buy the game not the engine." I think multiplayer and usercontent focused games are basically the wrong direction for the gaming industry, and certainly a different direction that it has ever headed in before, despite the success of online shooters and rts, via pc, to a certain extent.

I have less of a problem with the casual nature of the game, however it appears that the casual nature was necessary in a game where the content is largely dependant on the average person being able to develop an entertaining level.

I think a much more interesting idea would be....for instance....a DMC type action game where the user was able to make complex level design decisions(I could do a much better job than Lament of Innocence, lol).

It just appears to me, to be an odd combination, a game that mixes appeal to casual gamers, and appeal to their inner programmers, at the same time. I think that Sony will benefit, via sales, of people not realizing exactly what this game is. If they did present it in an easy to understand way, I think the target market for the game would significantly shift, and while it would certainly pick up new players(like maybe me), its total net gain would be red and in parenthesis. This game is similar to other platformers in a few ways, but overall, it is vastly different than any other games you've played before, and not necessarily better, but necessarily different. This isn't Super Sony Brothers 6 fortunately, and unfortunately.

Just food for thought.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Definetly NOT day 1 buy for me.
Or maybe it is.
Hell I dont kno.

Take my love, take my land..

I may get someday, too many games to play right now so I guess I'll get it when it goes platinum bestseller.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I pity the poor sap who buys this game and isn't online!

d21lewis said:
I pity the poor sap who buys this game and isn't online!

Are you talking VGChartz or PSN?

Aj_habfan said:
Despite the avatar, I wasnt very excited. But after playing the beta, its going to be too hard to miss out on this one. Its not revolutionary or one the best game games ever made, but it is very fun and a nice change of pace.

I think what you just said is a great example of the average user for this game. It certainly is a very fun game, but it's not designed like a traditional game, so it's very hard to compare or call it "better" that traditional games, even though it certainly has a higher potential for immediate fun.

I know everyone is gonna hate this example, and it's not a flame, lol...but this is the kind of reception and feeling I felt when I first got my hands on Nintendogs. I felt that it wasn't the end all killer app for the DS that it was billed to be by previewers and reviewers, but it was quite a fun game in spurts, and hard not to pick up a copy.

That game had a million ripoffs, and eventually got old. LBP seems to have a longer shelf-life, but we'll see about how many rip-offs come out in the next couple of years(Nintendogs also sold quite well, lest we forget).

BigLittle Planet from Microsoft Gaming Studios here we come.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.