By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

oh noes, this train has got derailed.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
appolose said:
akuma587 said:
I would like to know when being religious and being so hostile towards science became so intertwined. I mean if God can do anything, why couldn't he have just done everything through evolution? Because its not in Genesis? When Genesis was written, people still believed that demons possessed people on a regular basis (what we know now as mental illness) and that the earth was flat.

Do people really think they wrote Genesis with anything scientific in mind? Is it really such a stretch of the imagination to just say that they had no idea what they were talking about at least from a scientific perspective? Last time I checked, the Bible is a religious book, not a science textbook.

Guess who, Akuma?  :)

2nd part: ... Yes.  Inspired -> All True

1st part.   We (or I) are not hostile towards science; just this particular movement amongst scientists.  *Confession time*  I do not think evolution is correct, and that's not just because I think it it contradicts the Bible.

Now, why would I be so against the idea of God using evolution?  Because, according to my understanding of Genesis, the Earth was created only 6,000 years ago, and death only arose after the fall, so you'll probably guess as to why that might cause a slight contradiction between the two.

What precludes god from creating the heaven's and the earth with the appearence of being much older as a way to help sate the unquentiable curiosity of mankind?

And would it not ruin, or at least significantly diminish, the experience for him to tell us that's what he did?

From a strictly logical viewpoint neither evolution nor Big Bang Theory have any real bearing on the "Is there a god?" question.

I agree that the idea of God (in general) does not in any way lend itself to the ideas of either evolution or the Big Bang theory.

Yes, nothing (immediately) bars God from creating an apparently old universe; however, the theology I hold about the idea of God does.  My belief of God is that God inspired all of the writings of the Bible, that God is never wrong  and never lies, and that the Bible claims the Earth is 6000 years old, and, therefore, I am forced to conclude that both evolution (at least, historically speaking) and the Big Bang are untrue.  In conclusion, it is my specific beliefs about God that disclude evolution and the Big Bang.  Some, of course, think that the creation account is metaphorical, and, for them, Christianity and Evol. can coexist.

If that's what you were getting at (I'm having reading comprehension troubles to-deigh)!

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
highwaystar101 said:

To Each Man, Responsibility

To think we evolved from this, amazing really.

Where's NFG when you need her?

Sqrl said:
highwaystar101 said:

And like superman, SQRL picks up the train and puts it back on track... lolz at the pictures, hilarious stuff

Around the Network

@Appolose

So you just ignore the evidence for the Big Bang and Evolution?

@Highwaystar

They are my favourite animals. I so want them as pets.

Sorry, highwaystar

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195

Haha, thanks apposole, very good

tombi123 said:
@Appolose

So you just ignore the evidence for the Big Bang and Evolution?

@Highwaystar

They are my favourite animals. I so want them as pets.

While I could, I'm also prone to think there isn't much of any. 

That's all I'm going to say about it!

@Highway

Least I could do :)

Okami

Or how about:

... >> >> >> >> FINAL

Ok lets see if people can get this evolution chart...shouldn't be too tough

To Each Man, Responsibility