By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is the X360 so popular in the USA/NA?

We Americans,....cough....I mean I especially am an impulse buyer, and am extremely impatient. 360 came out first, so I "jumped in". I honestly, wanted to get the PS3 but it was a year away. So I picked up the 360.

When the PS3 finally rolled around I was like "YES, I will sell my 360 and get the PS3". But priced at $599, with little or no games, I was like "holy crap, come on Sony, what the hell is this?". I waited, and waited, and 360 just kept getting better and better, with Live, and more and more games. It started making me feel similar to being a PS2 owner with the library options for current Gen games. Then 360 started getting all the previous games turned multi-plat......now your talking!

So in the beginning it was a matter of not wanting to wait. In the end.....It is the best decision I have made this Gen. PS3 is a great system, but to me, it is several steps behind the 360.....just like it was from the start.

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
I believe Halo played a demonstrable role in the 360's popularity. This may be anecdotal evidence but I know a lot of people who bought the Xbox simply to play Halo with friends. It was a snowball effect after this.

Could be true...After all Halo was the game that made the Xbox famous.  I maybe should have add a country though..The UK..The X360 is very popular their as well.

konnichiwa said:
Lol@shmupgurus.

Well I thought the answer of this question could maybe explain why the X360 is not so popular in Europe.

So Europeans don't like to watch men with an high overdose of Muscular strength =p?

Indeed. They prefer guys like him:

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

i call it the live effect, where friends have it, and to play them, you move on to it too. kinda built up for me in college not a frat boy. however, a lot of friends were on there, and more joined this gen, just to keep up the co op gaming and playing with each other. only one of my friends has a ps3 and got it for mgs4, from what he has said that may be the only game he gets for it. his girlfriend has picked up a 360 after the price cut. they dont have live yet, but they have bought 6 games... oblivion, and forza seem to be their favorites

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

TheTruthHurts! said:
We Americans,....cough....I mean I especially am an impulse buyer, and am extremely impatient. 360 came out first, so I "jumped in". I honestly, wanted to get the PS3 but it was a year away. So I picked up the 360.

When the PS3 finally rolled around I was like "YES, I will sell my 360 and get the PS3". But priced at $599, with little or no games, I was like "holy crap, come on Sony, what the hell is this?". I waited, and waited, and 360 just kept getting better and better, with Live, and more and more games. It started making me feel similar to being a PS2 owner with the library options for current Gen games. Then 360 started getting all the previous games turned multi-plat......now your talking!

So in the beginning it was a matter of not wanting to wait. In the end.....It is the best decision I have made this Gen. PS3 is a great system, but to me, it is several steps behind the 360.....just like it was from the start.

=p  I did the same and for the same resaon.

@SHMUPGurus  Zidane <3.

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
I believe Halo played a demonstrable role in the 360's popularity. This may be anecdotal evidence but I know a lot of people who bought the Xbox simply to play Halo with friends. It was a snowball effect after this.

This Man is wise.

Certain franchises have the ability to sell mass consoles via snowball effect.. Like Halo,Zelda,Mario,

some people just want to see the world burn.

F.U. Fun University.

The reason I have a 360 instead of a ps3 is due to it's earlier release. It's as simple as that.

Honestly, I can't quite figure out why the 360 isn't doing much better than the ps3 in Europe. Given the price, comparable graphics and quality of games, I'd figure it'd be doing significantly better. I really do think the 360 is a more attractive option unless blue-ray is an extremely important feature.

Mind you, I don't really care who "wins', but as an MBA student the subject does interest me. Unfortunately I haven't read any compelling explanations for the enthusiasm gap.

Euphoria14 said:
Soulja Boy says "Who the fuck plays PS3? 360 got all the good games."

That is why.

YOU....got the right answer!  Sorry, but after the success of the PS2, Sony got too cocky, and believed that Playstation was a can't lose brand...ooops...now, they are entrenched in 3rd place, and while they have staved off absolute disaster for the PS3, they are hardly looking in a commanding position.  If they perform this holiday season vs. the 360 and Wii, like last season, the bronze medal will be assured for them.  Right now, it's all about jockeying for the next gen...look at the buzz for the Wii HD...and while M$ is being silent, you know they are working it as well.  People in NA LUV the 360 because it's fun...and that's what you want in a console...XBL is REALLY the killer app of the console, and it shows.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I personally got a 360 cause i liked the Xbox 1 far more than the PS2.