By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's storage solution - $20 for a 20GB HD or a free 512 MB card

Euphoria14 said:
jasonnc80 said:

The 512MB option shows up for people who had the original core or other system that didn't come with a memory card. If you bought an arcade with a 256mb card it can store the update info and does not qualify for the free 512mb card. That's what I've been seeing from the thread over on NeoGAF.

If this is true then it covers all bases I guess....

Free 512mb card for older core users to store NXE update

Arcade owners have 256mb card so they can store NXE update

Cheap HD option for both core/arcade owners if you want to "upgrade"

Only part that confuses me is how on the site it says at the bottom in small print "^ requires HDD" for NXE.

I just updated my original post.

The part about the "requires HDD for NXE" is an asterik that refers to: "downloading the latest High Def TV shows and Hollywood hits"

That's pretty obvious because you'll need a HDD if you want to download TV shows/movies

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network

question.. if i don't get the latest dashboard, will I still be forced to create this "experience"?

Frankly, there's no way my offline xbox can know about this thing, right?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
sega4life said:
kingofwale said:
okay, now I figured out the country option.

but hmmm... 30 bucks for 20GB? I will hardly use it. I think I will pass it for now

Soooo.....you just decided to bitch and moan for something that you said yourself your not going to use much?

seems logical I guess...

Not to mention most of the stuff you complained about is either: something you took out of context from what someone else typed, or you didn't read everything on the site.

well, I would LOVE to get the 512MB one, which I was misinformed about. So yes, I was whinning about that.

It's called "being a consumer and putting my own right up first.", not "being a fanboy so I must suck up to everything the company is doing".

Dude....RIGHT THE F#$K NOW...I'll give you $20 thru Paypal, if you will just STFU about what looks to be a good deal and stop complianing.  So there...anything else?  Gimme a god damn break...you can get a 20GB drive for $20 to participate in the new XBL and all you want to do is whine...r u freaking kidding me?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

jasonnc80 said:
Euphoria14 said:
jasonnc80 said:

The 512MB option shows up for people who had the original core or other system that didn't come with a memory card. If you bought an arcade with a 256mb card it can store the update info and does not qualify for the free 512mb card. That's what I've been seeing from the thread over on NeoGAF.

If this is true then it covers all bases I guess....

Free 512mb card for older core users to store NXE update

Arcade owners have 256mb card so they can store NXE update

Cheap HD option for both core/arcade owners if you want to "upgrade"

Only part that confuses me is how on the site it says at the bottom in small print "^ requires HDD" for NXE.

I just updated my original post.

The part about the "requires HDD for NXE" is an asterik that refers to: "downloading the latest High Def TV shows and Hollywood hits"

That's pretty obvious because you'll need a HDD if you want to download TV shows/movies

I was referring more to the "^" than the asterix although I think you may be correct that both are referring to Netflix and movie downloads.

That should make Kingofwale a little better.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Groucho said:
Those refurb 20GB drives will fail at a colossal rate.

MS is genious. They are basically dumping a bunch of crappy refurb drives on Arcade owners for $20 each (a profit in and of itself), and then those same people will likely get themselves a 60 or 120GB drive at full price after the refurb 20GB fails once or more times -- which of course makes their 360 unusable until they get a new drive.

Pure greedy genious. X360 users hosed again. I applaud them for their voracious appetite for money and ability to soak money from their userbase. That takes some greedy skill.

way to live up to your name lol

I've hardly seen an outpouring of HD failure threads on gaming forums.  Gamestop has been selling MS refurbished HD's since pretty much the beginning of time.

@kingofwale

If you don't connect your 360 to the internet then no, it won't know there is an update and the dashboard won't prompt you to update.  I had a friend who brought his 360 over for a LAN that he had from launch.  It still had the OLD update before dashboard overhaul last fall.  He has dialup at home so never went on live.  Once we connected to the internet it prompted itself to update then which we did.  I'm not sure if you could just decline the update if you ever hooked it up at a later time but I don't see why you couldn't.

@Euphoria14

If you're refering to this page then yeah, they are using the ^ as an asterik for downloading the TV shows/movies.  It sounds like Netflix streaming can still be used with the memory card since it has an * for only requiring 8mb of storage for streaming and no mention of requiring the HD.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what it looks like.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network
jasonnc80 said:
Groucho said:

MS is genious. They are basically dumping a bunch of crappy refurb drives on Arcade owners for $20 each (a profit in and of itself), and then those same people will likely get themselves a 60 or 120GB drive at full price after the refurb 20GB fails once or more times -- which of course makes their 360 unusable until they get a new drive.

Pure greedy genious. X360 users hosed again. I applaud them for their voracious appetite for money and ability to soak money from their userbase. That takes some greedy skill.

I've hardly seen an outpouring of HD failure threads on gaming forums.  Gamestop has been selling MS refurbished HD's since pretty much the beginning of time.

@kingofwale

If you don't connect your 360 to the internet then no, it won't know there is an update and the dashboard won't prompt you to update.  I had a friend who brought his 360 over for a LAN that he had from launch.  It still had the OLD update before dashboard overhaul last fall.  Once we connected it online it prompted itself to update then which we did.  I'm not sure if you could just decline the update if you ever hooked it up at a later time.  I don't see why you couldn't though.

Good point there. Never update.

You sir may have just made his day.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

heruamon said:
kingofwale said:
sega4life said:
kingofwale said:

but hmmm... 30 bucks for 20GB? I will hardly use it. I think I will pass it for now

Soooo.....you just decided to bitch and moan for something that you said yourself your not going to use much?

seems logical I guess...

Not to mention most of the stuff you complained about is either: something you took out of context from what someone else typed, or you didn't read everything on the site.

well, I would LOVE to get the 512MB one, which I was misinformed about. So yes, I was whinning about that.

It's called "being a consumer and putting my own right up first.", not "being a fanboy so I must suck up to everything the company is doing".

Dude....RIGHT THE F#$K NOW...I'll give you $20 thru Paypal, if you will just STFU about what looks to be a good deal and stop complianing.  So there...anything else?  Gimme a god damn break...you can get a 20GB drive for $20 to participate in the new XBL and all you want to do is whine...r u freaking kidding me?

Okay, give me the 20 dollars if you so insist, and then maybe I will get the hdd. Please message me with your Paypal account number so i can send you an invoice

Frankly, I don't consider 'mandatory' item for a small amount of money... GOOD DEAL, But hey, with 20 bucks, now i will probalby get one. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
jasonnc80 said:
Groucho said:

@kingofwale

If you don't connect your 360 to the internet then no, it won't know there is an update and the dashboard won't prompt you to update.  I had a friend who brought his 360 over for a LAN that he had from launch.  It still had the OLD update before dashboard overhaul last fall.  He has dialup at home so never went on live.  Once we connected to the internet it prompted itself to update then which we did.  I'm not sure if you could just decline the update if you ever hooked it up at a later time but I don't see why you couldn't.

@Euphoria14

If you're refering to this page then yeah, they are using the ^ as an asterik for downloading the TV shows/movies.  It sounds like Netflix streaming can still be used with the memory card since it has an * for only requiring 8mb of storage for streaming and no mention of requiring the HD.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what it looks like.

Just to add, you can indeed decline the update, but then you get signed out of XBL.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
kingofwale said:

Okay, give me the 20 dollars if you so insist, and then maybe I will get the hdd. Please message me with your Paypal account number so i can send you an invoice

Frankly, I don't consider 'mandatory' item for a small amount of money... GOOD DEAL, But hey, with 20 bucks, now i will probalby get one. ;)

Uh, the whole point of him giving you the 20 bucks would be so you would shut the fuck up and buy the hard drive, not so you would consider buying it

kingofwale said:
heruamon said:
kingofwale said:
sega4life said:
kingofwale said:

seems logical I guess...

So, let me get this right...you're gripping about no free 512mb, and how it's a rip-off, and to stop you're whining, i say, I'll give you $20 bucks...and you say, you'll MAYBE get it?  Hmmm....something is fishy...but REGARDLESS, gimme ur email, as I'm already in paypal, at the send screen,...and I'll be interested to see what else can be found to whine about.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder