By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OK so pc vs apple who knows anything about this?

So I think I might be going with apple on there next upgrade. There current IMAC at best buy is:

$1499.99

20" screen

2 gigs ram

dual core 2.4

350 gig hd

256mb ATI video card

I thought this was a huge rip off and I always have thought that apples were WAY over priced until I started using Vista about a year ago and I absolutly hate it. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Also I have heard and read about that macs pretty much can not get a virus and if they do they are not affected in the same way windows pc's are and it will hardly mess with them. 

So to have mac os and not get viruses is a huge bonus and I have heard that the next imac upgrade will go something like this:

$1299.99

20" screen

4 gig ram

quad core 2.2-2.4

500 gb hd

512 mb nvidia or ati video card 

Now this is still anywere from 25-50% more expensive then buying a pc and lcd with same configure however with this u do not get restarded ass vista and macs are a lot more secure.

So has anyone heard if the next imac upgrade will be like this and does anyone have an opinion on mac vs pc? Please do not turn this into a flame war. I have had like 5 different pc's in my life so switching to mac is a pretty big deal so I would like some honest opinions and some good hard facts if anyone has any? THANKS

My PSN Name is:  EvilChronos    add me if u want :)

END OF GENERATION PREDICTIONS  "9-21-08"

PS3=130M     360=90M     Wii=120M     DS=130M     PSP=70M

Other Prediction: The PS3 will overtake the 360 XMAS of 09  "9-21-08"

Around the Network

new macs on tuesday, only portables confirmed so far, but imacs are due for a refresh id hold off till novemeber, this is apple update season

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

both are overpriced and over rated. try linux systems.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

I know Macs use to be terrible for gaming in that games generally just aren't released for them right away, is that still true?

-edit-

And yes, Linux is a complete waste of time.

twesterm said:

I know Macs use to be terrible for gaming in that games generally just aren't released for them right away, is that still true?

-edit-

yes, to must pay a licence for boot camp or something similar and sintall windows anyway.

Around the Network

If you're using that much money, you're probably going to use your computer for gaming. OS X, however, is not suited for gaming as still only few games support it. You still need Windows to play games (to put it short - I'm not going to tell a long story). If you're not going to play games, you're going to pay a lot more than you would actually have to.

Well I do like to play games on pc but I thought a lot of the current/new/soon to come out games are windows/mac games? I know starcraft 2 and diablo 3 say they will come out on mac? Doesnt all the companies do that now?

My PSN Name is:  EvilChronos    add me if u want :)

END OF GENERATION PREDICTIONS  "9-21-08"

PS3=130M     360=90M     Wii=120M     DS=130M     PSP=70M

Other Prediction: The PS3 will overtake the 360 XMAS of 09  "9-21-08"

Why is vista so horrible for you? I don't have a problem with my system using vista...

twesterm said:

-edit-

Ubuntu is pretty user-friendly an has several features that Windows and Mac's OS would kill for. Being free is a plus, too.

Unless you mean in terms of gaming, in which case you're pretty right.

twesterm said:

-edit-

To a large extent, yes, but new macs have video cards (although the quality of them would be a concern), The only games I know of are EASports games, Spore and The LEGO series.

MACS CAN GET VIRUSES. THE VIRUSES ARE SIMPLY LESS COMMONLY PROGRAMMED FOR MACS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE LESS COMMON FORMAT, JUST AS THERE ARE LESS GAMES FOR MAC THAN FOR PC OR CONSOLES, BECAUSE THEIR MARKET SHARE IS SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER.