By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Level 5 DETHRONE S-E?

mibuokami said:
@darth

Yes but the point is do they ANNOUNCE a major new porject when the current one isn't even out on the market yet?

blackstar dismissed any new project from L5 on PS3 because they have announce nothing at all, I am merely pointing out that no developer does that, only major publishers and Level 5 is not that.

no no no , i didn't say that because they announced nothing new i said that because i read it in an interview about month ago

they said they are not working on any other game for the ps3 only WKC and after that they would start supporting the psp

Around the Network

1. Level 5 are awesome

2. they dont have the resources to be putting out several major console games, they needed sony to be able to do WKC

3. level-5 will not be bought. they are a private company so its completly their choice what happens

4. They will want to remain independant from sony. They have had great success with the professor layton series as well as other games on DS. plus they have several games in developemtn for both DS and wii

5. i think marvellous has a better chance of being the nex SE although they do seems to be almost entirely focused on one console (not that im complaing)

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

In answer to thread title: NOPE, but why would they want to?

At least if they stay relatively small, they'll remain like Bioware was, smallish, but still very dominant because of their low-frequency but high critically acclaimed games.

If they grow to S-E size, then quality cannot be guaranteed, and the PS3 fanboys precious JRPG saviour WKC wouldn't be rated so highly before release (I'd say this game is at least 80% average review scores based on Level-5's pedigree, I wouldn't put it in the 90's yet because the basic premise has zero originality).

@dmesiterJ

LOL

DmeisterJ thats one of your BEST posts ever....full of ownage!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
Does anyone else get the impression that this game is simply becoming PS3 fans new Stalwart after Lair and Haze bombed, DMC and Tekken switched sides, Killzone got bumped to the deadzone and FFXIII switched over?

Does anyone get the impression that this post has nothing to do with the O.P. or anything related in this thread? 

And to make this post fail even more, Tekken just got multi-platted, days ago, yet we've been hyping this for ages.  Onto Killzone, why would we not continue to hype the game?  The game, again, was bumped to Feb to give breathing room to Resistance 2, and to not cannibalize sales, it's not too hard to figure that one out, unless you're slow.  DMC switching sides happened in 200- and freaking 7.  Why are you still bringing that game up, a game that sold better on *gasp* the PS3.  Lair bombed in 2007 also, no one is still thinking about that game...  And to even think that Haze was a "stalwart" title proves how much you are trolling in this thread.

Seriously.

Discuss the game or GTFO. 

Thanks!  ^_^

Hey, watch the way you talk to Starcraft. He is only trolling a little bit.

Anyway, no one can dethrone SE right now when they are the only ones who can give life to Sony in Japan.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@dmesiterJ

LOL

DmeisterJ thats one of your BEST posts ever....full of ownage!

Quite the contrary.  It was so full of holes I felt comfortable ignoring it.  As you bought it, I guess I'll have to go deal with it.

*sigh*

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Riachu said:

Those four JRPG series you mentioned have established fanbases and they all have atleast one upcoming game that is highly anticipated. Even so, WKC is probably the most hyped non-DQ Level 5 game ever. Then again, hitting 1 million will be hard for this game because:

1.PS3 has only 2 million owners in Japan

2.Japan doesn't seem to be all that interested in new franchises and prefer the older series. The only breakout Japanese developed series that was started 2000 onward was the Monster Hunter series(a fact stated by the September issues of EGM)

In fact, if ToV and Star Ocean The Last Hope were on the PS3 instead of the 360, they would have taken WKC's hype away

Exactly. This game has more in common with Tales of Symphonia more than anything... the sales may be surprisingly good (>1mil) due to the current JRPG drought, but it'd be nothing like a big SE game. I'd be surprised if it matched the sales of the last Star Ocean.

As for your #2, I'm not so sure. Isn't KH pretty new? But yeah, we haven't gotten many new big IP's from Japan... though we haven't got many from the west, either.

@woopah: Great point, I completely forgot. The guy in the article brings up Sony potentially buying Level 5, when their biggest games are on the DS (Layton, DQ). He's coming off as just another Sony fanboy to me.

blackstar said:
mibuokami said:
@darth

Yes but the point is do they ANNOUNCE a major new porject when the current one isn't even out on the market yet?

blackstar dismissed any new project from L5 on PS3 because they have announce nothing at all, I am merely pointing out that no developer does that, only major publishers and Level 5 is not that.

no no no , i didn't say that because they announced nothing new i said that because i read it in an interview about month ago

they said they are not working on any other game for the ps3 only WKC and after that they would start supporting the psp

Do you honestly expect them to stop making PS3 game if WKC sells truckload on the level of MH2? Inversely do you expect them to take another plunge if WKC becomes an epic flop? He is being conservative and he is also being true, after WKC they will most likely have to split their team to meet commitment with their multiple PSP and DS games, wait and see, i can say with 100% certainty that if WKC really become Sony's 'white knight' of Japan you WILL see Level 5 at some point announce their next big thing on the PS3.

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
Does anyone else get the impression that this game is simply becoming PS3 fans new Stalwart after Lair and Haze bombed, DMC and Tekken switched sides, Killzone got bumped to the deadzone and FFXIII switched over?

Does anyone get the impression that this post has nothing to do with the O.P. or anything related in this thread? 

And to make this post fail even more, Tekken just got multi-platted, days ago, yet we've been hyping this for ages.  Onto Killzone, why would we not continue to hype the game?  The game, again, was bumped to Feb to give breathing room to Resistance 2, and to not cannibalize sales, it's not too hard to figure that one out, unless you're slow.  DMC switching sides happened in 200- and freaking 7.  Why are you still bringing that game up, a game that sold better on *gasp* the PS3.  Lair bombed in 2007 also, no one is still thinking about that game...  And to even think that Haze was a "stalwart" title proves how much you are trolling in this thread.

Seriously.

Discuss the game or GTFO. 

Thanks!  ^_^

You fundamentally failed to recognize what I was saying.  I was using historical correlations to draw parallels to our current situation.  As such, your primary argument that games are too far into the past to be considered here is flawed.

I already posted something dealing with (and dispatching) the OP.  If you wish to engage my posts, do so.  Do not take them, alter the topic, and then attack the easily defeatable point you have mistakenly alloted to me.  You are too intelligent for me to believe you missed the point so completely my mistake.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

c0rd said:
Riachu said:

Those four JRPG series you mentioned have established fanbases and they all have atleast one upcoming game that is highly anticipated. Even so, WKC is probably the most hyped non-DQ Level 5 game ever. Then again, hitting 1 million will be hard for this game because:

1.PS3 has only 2 million owners in Japan

2.Japan doesn't seem to be all that interested in new franchises and prefer the older series. The only breakout Japanese developed series that was started 2000 onward was the Monster Hunter series(a fact stated by the September issues of EGM)

In fact, if ToV and Star Ocean The Last Hope were on the PS3 instead of the 360, they would have taken WKC's hype away

Exactly. This game has more in common with Tales of Symphonia more than anything... the sales may be surprisingly good (>1mil) due to the current JRPG drought, but it'd be nothing like a big SE game. I'd be surprised if it matched the sales of the last Star Ocean.

As for your #2, I'm not so sure. Isn't KH pretty new? But yeah, we haven't gotten many new big IP's from Japan... though we haven't got many from the west, either.

@woopah: Great point, I completely forgot. The guy in the article brings up Sony potentially buying Level 5, when their biggest games are on the DS (Layton, DQ). He's coming off as just another Sony fanboy to me.

KH had the advantage of have FF and Disney characters in it.  Also, I have a feeling that if Sony give WKC a big marketing campaignin both Japan and the West, then it could sell as well as SO3 if not better.