By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Level 5 DETHRONE S-E?

Square Enix has 3,275 employees? What a waste.

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
i dont think level 5 can, they havent produced a rpg game on their own. yes they did dragon quest 8 and it was a good game, but not a great game. also the game their best known for is dark cloud. i think if wkc is a really great game and if dark cloud 3 is more similar with the 1st dark cloud then maybe they can start to put some pressure on square-enix to make more quality games. i hope they can , because more competition equals better quality games. so i wish level 5 the best of luck in gaining more popularity with gamers.

Inazuma Eleven says hello (plus the 4 new projects)

c0rd said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@mibuokami

I know.....can't say why.

it usually happenes due to my thread titles.

but this time the thread title is of the "article"....

I dunno about your other threads, but the article you put up here sorta reeks of Sony... optimism. Comparing FF7 to WKC, and thinking Level 5 will take over SE? C'mon... I doubt this would be talked about if it were for the Wii or 360.

@nitekrawler1285: I tell pretty much everyone this: try not to put too much weight into FF12. It wasn't done by the normal FF team, so like FF11, it doesn't really "count." I don't think it was a bad game, but it definitely wasn't a normal FF. I wish they hadn't slapped FF onto the name (11 or 12), because it seems so many have been disappointed, and aren't looking forward to 13 as much as they would otherwise.

Anyway, I hear Atlus has some great stuff as well. Persona 3 FES is out, and Persona 4 is coming to NA in December, check it out if you've got a PS2.

I have many other disappointemts with SE.  Unless there PSP titles show me that they can do other things like Squaresofts PS1 reneissance I just think they may have just lost that special spark(FFVII:CC didn't exactly restore my faith).  BB1&2, BFM, PE1&2, VS, XG, FFT those games showed me how innovative the company  could be and how they still could polish and create great titles(even outside the regular RPG genre).  PS2 onward I only have FFX and KH1&2.  Less good titles = less faith.

starcraft said:
FinalEvangelion said:
This game looks like it's coming along very nicely. I hope they bring some competition to SE so they don't take the jRPG fans for granted so much.

@ Starcraft, no I think it looks like a great jRPG no matter if it was 360 or PS3 exclusive.

Oh I quite agree that it is a fantastic looking game, something I have said repeatedely in the past.

That said, it's hype level is massively exaggerated due to it's exclusive status.

I think it is fair to say that PS3 owners tend to rally around the hype train for the "big game" a little more than Xbox 360 and Wii owners.  In the West it is LBP, in Japan it is WKC.

For example, Drakes Fortune hype only truly started in earnest upon realisation of the crapness of Lair....

and banjo hype started upon the delapidation of two human...............

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

i really think Sony need to start looking elsewhere than just level 5 or really help it to expand. whilst its a very good company they dont have the size to be cranking out console titles as fast as SE is for MS or Marvellous is for nintendo. of course it could be that level 5 simply prefers making handheld games. we know that there was one handheld title that was getting a console version, sony should start trying to persuade them to make it on PS3 and not the wii

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

I hope this game does have that FF7 impact, for Level 5, and Sony's sake.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

damn i hope it to do huge sales in japan 1 million at least

do they even have a million seller yet besides developing dragon quest for square enix? they dont have the resources, ip's, money or man power to dethrone square enix they only have one major console game in development.

a lot of people on this site are confused about a publish that owns multiple in house studios and development studios that might have just a few teams. Its not just this thread i see it happen all the time like the a few weeks ago when people compared epic in terms of game library to capcom

Truthfully i do think white knight is gonna be a good game and the reason for its hype right now is because its one of the few games that had a big showing at tgs. For it to compare to FF 7 success the attach rate would have to be like 50%

Anyone could dethrone SE considering their current situation. They are digging their own grave and there are some very capable devs willing to take their place. For example Level 5 or Sega may do it on handhelds, while Marvelous or Namco could do it on home consoles. It will happen sooner or later and it will happen for good.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Well Level 5 have been doing really well but they dont have the resources or the man power to dethrone square enix on every platform but if they were to go to sony, like 1st or 2nd party then they could easily out do square enix on the sony platforms and become more popular with the sony fanbase which would be really bad for square enix. as they will be losing out on a big company and brand name within the gaming market

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st