By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Level 5 DETHRONE S-E?

this is thier last game on ps3 , they will start suppoting the psp after this one
SE will continue developing for ps3 -i hop- so no they can't

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Ok, lets just deal with the topic at hand.

Can Level 5 DETHRONE S-E in ANY measurable sense?

No.

i love short answers they make u look cool

c0rd said:

Comparing WKC to FF7... you've gotta be kidding me. Never mind the fact that besides Dragon Quest (an SE franchise), Level 5 hasn't made a game with sales making even half of FF6's, the precursor to FF7. Also, their best selling games aren't even RPG's.

Big JRPG's can't just materialize out of thin air. All the big ones are old franchises from SE (the newest, KH, aided by Disney familiarity), and the number of non-SE JRPG's that can break even 1mil are few in number. Mistwalker should be a nice example of how hard it is to make a new hit in the genre. I'm sure PS3 fans will argue that the 360 userbase have far fewer JRPG fans - I guess we will soon see the truth regarding that.

Level 5 "dethroning" SE means they'll need something bigger than Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, and (finally) - Final Fantasy. I do not see this happening, ever. They'll be lucky to outsell DQ/FF remakes.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I've played so far from Level 5, they're awesome devs. I also like what I've played from Team Ico, but I'm not about to get delusional and start predicting their games will get bigger than Zelda.

Those four JRPG series you mentioned have established fanbases and they all have atleast one upcoming game that is highly anticipated.  Even so, WKC is probably the most hyped non-DQ Level 5 game ever.  Then again, hitting 1 million will be hard for this game because:

1.PS3 has only 2 million owners in Japan

2.Japan doesn't seem to be all that interested in new franchises and prefer the older series.  The only breakout Japanese developed series that was started 2000 onward was the Monster Hunter series(a fact stated by the September issues of EGM)

In fact, if ToV and Star Ocean The Last Hope were on the PS3 instead of the 360, they would have taken WKC's hype away

blackstar said:
this is thier last game on ps3 , they will start suppoting the psp after this one
SE will continue developing for ps3 -i hop- so no they can't

This is rather shortsighted, considering that the majority of their big talents are currently working one game exclusively for the PS3 which has yet to be release, do you honestly expect them to announce any new big budget game on a current gen home console much less on the PS3?

Like starcraft so succinctly put it Level-5 is not (yet) at the scale were it can go toe to toe with any of the big Japanese publishing house like SE. Do you see Insomiac announcing there next major PS3 game before Resistence 2 is even out? Naughty Dog? Level 5 while bigger than those 2 examples is still on their playing field. Don't expect their next big project being announce until well after WKC is out and they can gauge how successful it is.

@mibuokami

actually Insominac has been releasing brilliant games EVERY YEAR since Ps3 launched (Rsistance 1, R & C:TOD, Resistance 2 now)....something S-E, nor Konami (even though MGS4 is better than ALL of insomniacs games put together) nor Capcom could do that

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Level 5 still have a long way to go!!!!

darthdevidem01 said:
@mibuokami

actually Insominac has been releasing brilliant games EVERY YEAR since Ps3 launched (Rsistance 1, R & C:TOD, Resistance 2 now)....something S-E, nor Konami (even though MGS4 is better than ALL of insomniacs games put together) nor Capcom could do that

That's because the type of games that S-E, Konami, and Capcom make need several years of development time while games made by Insomniac only need 2 years in development at most.

@darth

Yes but the point is do they ANNOUNCE a major new porject when the current one isn't even out on the market yet?

blackstar dismissed any new project from L5 on PS3 because they have announce nothing at all, I am merely pointing out that no developer does that, only major publishers and Level 5 is not that.

@mibuokami

ok...I misinterpretated your statement incorrectly :)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

starcraft said:
Does anyone else get the impression that this game is simply becoming PS3 fans new Stalwart after Lair and Haze bombed, DMC and Tekken switched sides, Killzone got bumped to the deadzone and FFXIII switched over?

Does anyone get the impression that this post has nothing to do with the O.P. or anything related in this thread? 

And to make this post fail even more, Tekken just got multi-platted, days ago, yet we've been hyping this for ages.  Onto Killzone, why would we not continue to hype the game?  The game, again, was bumped to Feb to give breathing room to Resistance 2, and to not cannibalize sales, it's not too hard to figure that one out, unless you're slow.  DMC switching sides happened in 200- and freaking 7.  Why are you still bringing that game up, a game that sold better on *gasp* the PS3.  Lair bombed in 2007 also, no one is still thinking about that game...  And to even think that Haze was a "stalwart" title proves how much you are trolling in this thread.

Seriously.

Discuss the game or GTFO. 

Thanks!  ^_^