By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you enjoyed despite thinking they will suck before purchase

well in this gen, i would put enchnted arms i thought it was brilliant. king kong on 360 that was an amazing playthrough indeed it was my 1st 360 game i didnt think it wud be good only got it coz it was cheapest. prey is another 1 that looked shit but playthrough was good.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

I don't have much money...I can't remember a game I've bought I wasn't at least a bit interested in.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

crumas2 said:
I don't usually bother with titles that I believe will be really bad, but maybe I should start reconsidering...

Im not saying that everyone should get the games they think they won't enjoy...but sometimes you just want to be sure...

Like Too Human...I just couldn't tell if ill like it or not...i did like it and am glad i rented it.

Command and Conquer Renegade: everyone i knew who had played it said it sucked big time, but i found myself enjoying it quite a bit.

Red Faction: at a time when the PC market was filled with top quality FPSs, i bought this one, which i hadnt even heard of before ,and really played the heck out of it.

Monkey Island 1: Now i had no prior knowledge what this game was about, and when i saw a friend playing it once, i thought it was pretty meh. but then ,due to peer pressure, i bought it ,and it remains,along with its sequels, one of the funniest games ive ever played, and by present trends, am ever going to play.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Assassin's Creed for me. I thought it was going to be either suckfest or a massive blast of mediocrity, but I found myself really loving it.

Resident Evil 4, too. I thought RE4 was gonna be scary, and I've always hated scary stuff. So when I decided to give in and get it for the Wii, I was blown away. Probably the most epic gameplay experience I've ever had, if nothing else due to the pure shock factor of it.

Around the Network

metal gear online.

i never been a shooter fan, but i got addicted to it, i only played counter strike 1.6.

Great thread topic disolitude!

There was quite a few N64 games that I had played/rented that I though were gonna suck hard but turned out to be some of the best fun my friends and I had with the system...

1. Road Rash 64... racing games were a dime a dozen on the 64, so what made me rent this one day i dunno... but I haven't played a racing game like it since. Ridiculous crashes and physics that make barreling through traffic at over 200mph something to behold. Plus, beating the shit out of your opponents and some great multiplayer modes made this game a solid package of fun. Worth checking out if you can find a used copy or if it ever shows up on the VC.

2. San Francisco Rush 2049.. same thing, was bored, rented a racing game... turned out to be pretty good N64, and a week later my friend rented the Dreamcast version, which was even better with its arcade perfect graphics for its time and great multiplayer.

3. Beetle Adventure Racing... starting to see a pattern here people?!?

4. Top Gear Overdrive... I'm being serious here folks.

5. Worms Armageddon... change of pace finally Had never heard of Worms before, but my friend rented it and once i sat down and actually played it I was instantly hooked and bought a copy the next week.

6. Body Harvest... everyone I heard play it said it sucked, but I found a new copy real cheap so I decided to pick it up and really enjoyed it, though never got around to finishing it. Surprised to find out that it was developed by DMA design who did the GTA games... Body Harvest was somewhat of a precursor to the open world drive around in any available vehicle gameplay.

And finally... SUPERMAN 64!!!

just kidding!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

San Francisco Rush 2049, Red Faction...some definite gems there.

Oooo...I thought of another one.

Raptor for the PC. It was 4.99 bargain bin...and I was a poor kid in need of something to play... I didn't have money for a genesis game but I also had a shitty 486 back in 1995. The game ran beautifully...not to mention it owns serious ass off every SHMUP game up until that point. Great game.

For the most part, I don't play games that I think are goinng to suck, but...

A recent game that comes to mind is Excite Truck (Wii). I got it as a gift not too long after the launch of the Wii. My expectations for this game were pretty much non-existant, but I had a lot of fun unlocking all of the different modes, and vehicles. It was a very good launch title.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Current gen Conan (maaaany combos despite the lame visuals and lots of blood and boobs), and Too Human. I was really convinced that finally the game would suck. But it was great. Better than SW:TFU for example. And with great replayability. I almost play it constantly (every 2 or 3 days) since its release.