By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DS/Wii will have the top 10 selling games this generation

Viper1 said:
Khuutra said:
Interesting. We're looking at the possibility, by end of gen, of the top ten list being made up of only 10 million+ sellers.

Has that ever happened before?

Not even close.

Last gen saw the PS2 with 4 games over 10 million while no GC or Xbox title came within 1.5 million of hitting 10 million.

Holy Hell.

Around the Network

Last gen                                                                                 |        This gen

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - PS2 - 17.37 million   |  Wii Sports - Wii - 29.29 million
2. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire - GBA - 15.40 million             |   Nintendogs - DS - 19.68 million
3. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec - PS2 - 14.87 million               |   Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - DS - 15.93 million
4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - PS2 - 14.20 million          |    New Super Mario Bros - DS - 15.77 million
5. Grand Theft Auto 3 - 11.60 million                                 |   Wii Play - Wii - 15.14 million
6. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green - GBA - 10.49 million    |   Brain Age - DS - 14.21 million
7. Gran Turismo 4 - PS2 - 9.50 million                               |   More Brain Age - DS - 12.13 million
8. Halo 2 - Xbox - 8.46 million                                             |   Mario Kart DS - 12.02 million
9. Final Fantasy X - PS2 - 7.95 million                               |   Mario Kart Wii - Wii - 8.26 million
10. Final Fantasy VIII - PS2 - 7.86 million                          |   Halo 3 - X360 - 8.26 million

The rEVOLution is not being televised

That is a terrifying statistic! Wow. I am unsure of what else to say. And we're only three years into this gen.

Am i the only one who finds it kind of unfair to count Wii Sports and Wii Play.

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo at their rightful place.

As if.

Count Wii Sports out - it's bundled in with every Wii.

Otherwise that list is fine.

Around the Network
Xen said:
RolStoppable said:

As if.

Not in Japan...

Former something....

Where's Animal Crossing?

I'm not sure if it's a good thing having the whole top 10 coming from one publisher.

Well, as much as I hate seeing those sorts of figures (I wanted more of an even spread between consoles) it's quite amazing that 4 of those Wii and DS titles are actually what I'd consider to be great games.

Blacksaber said:
Xen said:
RolStoppable said:

As if.

Not in Japan...

Then only the Japanese sales of the game count.

Whoops, it's already out of top 10.

DeotoxSlayer said:
Am i the only one who finds it kind of unfair to count Wii Sports and Wii Play.

No, other haters also like to count them out. Look the game has a 50% attach rate in Japan and if that's an indicator then Wii Sports sales would at least be 16 million, if not more, since Wii Sports is what sells the Wii in more than 50% of the cases. There's no denying the game would have still been in the top 5 even if it wasn't bundled, like it happens in Japan.

Wii Play would have sold on it's own either way, 10 dollars is a really low price and people would have just bought it because it has the "Wii" name stampled on it.

If you don't believe me then check Wii Fit, sold 8 million+ in less than a year and it's still selling like crazy. Next up Wii Music, doubters will have to remain silent as they did with Wii Fit.

Or if you don't want to believe me and think Wii Sports wouldn't have sold like it did, just wait until Wii Sports: Resort comes out. Oh, it will be bundled with Wii M+ so people would scratch it off, just like they scratched off Wii Play, Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Damn, is it that hard to accept. Your life will not end either way.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies