By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's Nintendo working on? Even more Wii and 3DS games.

It takes two years to make 'core' games so you have to figure alot of their internal teams are working on DS2/Super Wii games.

You have to figure alot of Wii/DS projects started in late 2002-2005...then there is/was a second wave. After that the focus is on the next set of platforms. With a $10b or $20b warchest Nintendo has it can commission tons of talented small developers to use its highly marketable characters to fill the gaps.

The only change with Wii is that the best selling games actually take the least time to make (Wii Fit/Wii Sports/Wii Play/Wii Sports Resort) and sell the best.

Also, looking back histrorically, Nintendo seems to make all kinds of abstract stuff when it has a big user base.

NES sold 62m consoles...you got Mario/Duck Hunt/Zelda/Punchout/Metroid/Kid Icarus/RPGS/Action Games/Fighters out of that

SNES sold 49m. What was really innovative came out at the end - Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox when the base got about as big as what NES had in ~1991

N64 - 33m sold. Less innovation - again it came at the end - Majora's Mask, Conker, Sin & Punishment. Mario 64 is the one big exception.

GC - 22m sold. Innovation at the start (Pikmin/Eternal Darkness/Animal Crossing) but not much else that was.

With Wii, Nintendo has seen sales strong enough to see huge innovations, hence Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, and the recently announced stuff for Japan, things like Disaster/the water game/Wii Music/Captain Rainbow etc

With Nintendo there seems to be a very correlation between innovation and a big user base.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, & Wii Sports were huge innovations & they all came out at launch, what are u talking about?

TheSource said:

With Nintendo there seems to be a very correlation between innovation and a big user base.

You're seeing things backwards. Nintendo innovating is the cause of their success, not the effect.

And really, it isn't so much them innovating as innovating the right way. They've always done innovative things, but oftentimes they aren't meaningful; they result in a game that performs no job well. It's about "meaningful surprises," and that can come on day 1 like Wii Sports, or 7 years in, like Pokemon.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Any news? Nintendo has just released Art Style: Cubello and Self Indulgent Girls Fashion or however it's called in Japan, so it looks like another teams are free.

Does anyone have release dates for any of the upcoming games?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Art Style: ROTOHEX released today, it seems like they're gonna release them like 1 / week. Skip is making them I believe and there's like 3 more if we go by the GBA games.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Walk to Know: LifeStyle Rythm DS was released in Japan this week along with the DSi.

The game bombed. Now another teams are free. With almost 100% of the teams "working" on unknown projects, I may as well give up, secrecy this time is pretty ridiculous.

OP updated.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

That means (hopefully) a lot of stellar titles in '09

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

^ I wish that was the case, but with the recent 2009 launch schedule, there's almost nothing coming out next year, which is pretty disappointing.

I can't understand how is it that we aren't allowed to know about ANYTHING that they are making. They can't be anymore ridiculous than that.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

F-Zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ¿Where are you?

trestres said:
 I may as well give up, secrecy this time is pretty ridiculous.

Funny you should say that. Actually, Nintendo's ninjas seem to have been slacking off recently. Whereas before we never would hear a peep of information before Nintendo wanted us to, now we've gotten word about Punch-Out!, Play on Wii, Kid Icarus, and those Orbient games long before Nintendo was ready to announce anything. It may be time to start listening to rumors regarding Nintendo, at least a little bit.