By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who won the VP debate?

MontanaHatchet said:
Can someone confirm whether or not Talibani is a word? I could understand being an Iraqi, but a Talibani? Just curious.

A lot of people seemed to be confused about this.  She wasn't talking about the Taliban she was talking about Iraqi President Jalal Talibani.  I don't think Talibani would be a word if you were describing the Taliban.  I barely paid attention during Arabic class and just took it for an easy A but I believe the word Taliban itself is plural.

@RealMafoo

As far as you being less concerned about McCain's successor.  I see where you are coming from and I understand.  I'm not personally ready to say i'm less scared about the chances of Palin as President because even though she didn't stumble with any major gaffes she dodged way too many questions.  Whenever Biden said something she didn't want to respond to she instead decided to try to talk about something else even if the moderator asked her to respond to Biden.  What that tells me is during her debate prep they hammered certain topics that she kept falling back on and she's probably still not up to speed on many issues that are important to the American people.

She did keep her composure better and didn't come across like the idiot she appeared to be in the Katie Couric interview so I was surprised.  If she could keep up this type of performance and actually start talking to the press all the time like a normal candidate I will be impressed.

Around the Network

If I had a couple weeks or whatever to drill nonstop on important topics, I could probably answer those debate questions just as well as Palin did.

Clearly I'm ready to be VP.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Internet polls dont count

Scientific polls show that Biden barely won, with 51% saying he did better. But 800% said Palin did better than expectations, so a gain for her there.

Palin didn't mess up, and even though she obviously few talking points and facts, she came off incoherent at times and didn't talk about things she wasn't familar with. In the end though, this wont matter that much since Vice Presidents dont have a large effect on the election.

I just can't believe that Palin is getting kudo's for not messing up. For Christ sake she is a potential vp of one of the most powerful nations in the world. Why don't you people expect/demand better?

Biden was putting me to sleep last night... Listened to the debate on the radio. While it sounded like they essentially tied, Biden talked about things that I knew and found that I disagree with him on most points. Palin talked about things I knew, and agreed with most things she said.

Now both Biden and Obama are on the record for supporting higher taxes on the rich because it is "fair" not because it will raise revenues or even help the economy.

Around the Network
bigjon said:
PDF said:
Biden won the debate
but
Palin won overall

My sentiments exactly. Biden won it if it was scored tecnically. 90% of Americans don't judge debates that way.

Yeah, most Americans go for style over substance >.<

Which is why I think Palin won. Though I may personally vote for Obama now since I think Palin is by far the least qualified of the 4 people (Mccain, Biden, Obama, herself) to be president. Biden and Barack we would be okay not great... McCain we would be better off than Biden/McCain, but not a tramondou amount better off... Palin= we're screwed.

bigjon said:
PDF said:
Biden won the debate
but
Palin won overall

My sentiments exactly. Biden won it if it was scored tecnically. 90% of Americans don't judge debates that way.

Yeah, most Americans go for style over substance >.<

Which is why I think Palin won. Though I may personally vote for Obama now since I think Palin is by far the least qualified of the 4 people (Mccain, Biden, Obama, herself) to be president. Biden and Barack we would be okay not great... McCain we would be better off than Biden/McCain, but not a tramondou amount better off... Palin= we're screwed.

Jandre002 said:
HAHA PALIN WON!? Wow thats too funny. I'm sorry she just showed how completely clueless she is when it comes to all the issues.

Biden killed her, and no I don't give her points for just surviving.

THIS IS A GOD DAMN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION! I dont care if this woman can remember lines and punch back with predetermined answers, while saying maverick, hockey mom, and alaska over 30 times each. My job, my money, my future will be in the hands of the next president.

Do you all really think, if needed to step up to the plate as early as next year, Palin would be able to run the country? HELL NO! She is just as clueless as ever

My sentiments exaclty. However, the majority of the U.S. population won't be able to see this, either becuase of blind party loyalty, supidity, or some other factor.

For me, this election is like the prisoner's dilema. Do I take the safe, yet unatractive bet (for me thats Obama) or the highly desirable bet (McCain will keep my taxes down) with high risk (Palin)...

I didn't actually see the VP debate because the Canadian party leaders debate was on TV at the same time and I decided to be the only person in the world who watched it.

From what I have seen of highlights of the VP debate Palin performed pretty much how I expected her to ... She did seem like she was heavily coached (because she was) but I wouldn't be surprised if she was using "canned" answers at times even though she knew enough to answer the question on her own. This would be a faily common problem for someone who was over-coached and under experienced.

Where I though Palin performed particularly well was I though she showed off her personality in a way that many people could probably relate to ... Essentially, her performance made the statement "Hey, I'm just like you!"

In a time where people are absolutely pissed with Washington and Wallstreet, this "Mrs. Smith goes to Washington" approach may work very well for her; at the same time with how big of a crisis the United States is facing people may have favoured the experienced statesman that Biden appeared to be.

Hawkeye said:
Jandre002 said:
HAHA PALIN WON!? Wow thats too funny. I'm sorry she just showed how completely clueless she is when it comes to all the issues.

Biden killed her, and no I don't give her points for just surviving.

THIS IS A GOD DAMN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION! I dont care if this woman can remember lines and punch back with predetermined answers, while saying maverick, hockey mom, and alaska over 30 times each. My job, my money, my future will be in the hands of the next president.

Do you all really think, if needed to step up to the plate as early as next year, Palin would be able to run the country? HELL NO! She is just as clueless as ever

My sentiments exaclty. However, the majority of the U.S. population won't be able to see this, either becuase of blind party loyalty, supidity, or some other factor.

For me, this election is like the prisoner's dilema. Do I take the safe, yet unatractive bet (for me thats Obama) or the highly desirable bet (McCain will keep my taxes down) with high risk (Palin)...

I disagree about substance over style this time. Four years ago, Americans were split over Iraq and were still worried about terrrorists attacking so they just voted bush. This time though, with the economy tanking everyone is suddenly interested in WHAT a canadate says and not how they say it. Alot of political BS will not fly now, Americans are taking notice. They are scared shitless the ecnomy is going to totally collapse or that their retirement, which they worked very hard for, is going to evaporate. It's too important now, the canidates need to articulate what they believe and why it will work, backed up with facts. This is why Obama and Biden will win while the spin of the McCain campaign will fall only on the base's ears.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS