Forums - General Discussion - So who won the VP debate?

Soo, I'm not a fan of these two, but I think Biden 'won' this debate, although it wasn't really a debate.

I'm not an American, but this how I saw this:

His answers just had a lot more substance. I'm not sure, but I think repeating cheesy lines with key words like [insert random sport here] mom and maverick doesn't show much knowledge.

I really can't see how anyone could possibly say Palin won. She didn't look like a moron. True. So what? I thought we were talking about something serious, presidential election and stuff like that.  Even if it's only the VP, there should be a lot more criteria.

Around the Network

Can someone confirm whether or not Talibani is a word? I could understand being an Iraqi, but a Talibani? Just curious.

Anyways, there are only three reasons anyone could provide for why Palin won:

1. She talked to the audience like they were small children

2. She performed slightly above mediocre

3. She had the highest number of speech clips that could be put on Youtube

Save for those three reasons, Biden won the debate. You could claim that he spent too much time bitching about McCain, but that's what you're supposed to do. They were there to represent their candidates. If Biden spent the whole time bitching out Palin, do you think that would get good reception? The Democrats knew beforehand that the public would see it as bullying. But if you're willing to ignore every argument that Biden won, then Palin wins by default.

I don't think there's any credible news site out there that will say Palin won with the undecideds...Biden clearly did better here.

I don't like Palin, and you may say it's not a big deal, but VP is a big deal. We joke about McCain being old...but a lot can happen between now and 2012, and I don't want to risk Palin being President of our entire country. She just rambled on about family and being a soccer mom...she's an entertaining politician and surely knows enough about the workings of Alaska, but I don't think she's at all capable of one of the highest jobs in our government.

I don't really care for Obama or McCain, but at least with Obama, both he and Biden know what they're doing. Palin doesn't and I don't trust McCain at all after picking Palin.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

MontanaHatchet said:
Can someone confirm whether or not Talibani is a word? I could understand being an Iraqi, but a Talibani? Just curious.

A lot of people seemed to be confused about this.  She wasn't talking about the Taliban she was talking about Iraqi President Jalal Talibani.  I don't think Talibani would be a word if you were describing the Taliban.  I barely paid attention during Arabic class and just took it for an easy A but I believe the word Taliban itself is plural.

@RealMafoo

As far as you being less concerned about McCain's successor.  I see where you are coming from and I understand.  I'm not personally ready to say i'm less scared about the chances of Palin as President because even though she didn't stumble with any major gaffes she dodged way too many questions.  Whenever Biden said something she didn't want to respond to she instead decided to try to talk about something else even if the moderator asked her to respond to Biden.  What that tells me is during her debate prep they hammered certain topics that she kept falling back on and she's probably still not up to speed on many issues that are important to the American people.

She did keep her composure better and didn't come across like the idiot she appeared to be in the Katie Couric interview so I was surprised.  If she could keep up this type of performance and actually start talking to the press all the time like a normal candidate I will be impressed.

If I had a couple weeks or whatever to drill nonstop on important topics, I could probably answer those debate questions just as well as Palin did.

Clearly I'm ready to be VP.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Internet polls dont count

Scientific polls show that Biden barely won, with 51% saying he did better. But 800% said Palin did better than expectations, so a gain for her there.

Palin didn't mess up, and even though she obviously few talking points and facts, she came off incoherent at times and didn't talk about things she wasn't familar with. In the end though, this wont matter that much since Vice Presidents dont have a large effect on the election.

I just can't believe that Palin is getting kudo's for not messing up. For Christ sake she is a potential vp of one of the most powerful nations in the world. Why don't you people expect/demand better?

Biden was putting me to sleep last night... Listened to the debate on the radio. While it sounded like they essentially tied, Biden talked about things that I knew and found that I disagree with him on most points. Palin talked about things I knew, and agreed with most things she said.

Now both Biden and Obama are on the record for supporting higher taxes on the rich because it is "fair" not because it will raise revenues or even help the economy.

bigjon said:
PDF said:
Biden won the debate
but
Palin won overall

My sentiments exactly. Biden won it if it was scored tecnically. 90% of Americans don't judge debates that way.

Yeah, most Americans go for style over substance >.<

Which is why I think Palin won. Though I may personally vote for Obama now since I think Palin is by far the least qualified of the 4 people (Mccain, Biden, Obama, herself) to be president. Biden and Barack we would be okay not great... McCain we would be better off than Biden/McCain, but not a tramondou amount better off... Palin= we're screwed.

bigjon said:
PDF said:
Biden won the debate
but
Palin won overall

My sentiments exactly. Biden won it if it was scored tecnically. 90% of Americans don't judge debates that way.

Yeah, most Americans go for style over substance >.<

Which is why I think Palin won. Though I may personally vote for Obama now since I think Palin is by far the least qualified of the 4 people (Mccain, Biden, Obama, herself) to be president. Biden and Barack we would be okay not great... McCain we would be better off than Biden/McCain, but not a tramondou amount better off... Palin= we're screwed.