By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will not fix the storage problem

Cactus said:

@ Words of Wisdom

Well, I wonder why you're still in this thread.

Judging from your post

"Problem: My Wii's memory is full, I can't download anything new.

Solution: Download to your SD card instead of your Wii."

It seems like you knew nothing of this problem to begin with.

It's almost refreshing to see people who still take every comment they read seriously.  Almost.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
Cactus said:

@ Words of Wisdom

Judging from your post

@LordTheNightKnight

You didn't read the whole thread did you? if you did you would realize that most sources say nothing about playing from the card, only a few do, which means we don't know which sites got lost in translation and which didn't. Also, at the US conference, Reggie did not explicitly say "You could play the games from the SD card" either. Why would they leave out such an important fact?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because that's a given? Otherwise they wouldn't bother announcing anything? Because there would be nothing to announce?

All I'm saying is as of now, the only new feature I can see is being able to download onto SD cards instead of always directly on the Wii itself.

I'm not saying it wont happen, but I can't see why they wouldn't just come out and say that we could. Also I appreciate your sarcasm. you know it really doesn't make you look like a dick.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Cactus said:

@ Words of Wisdom

Judging from your post

It's almost refreshing to see people who still take every comment they read seriously.  Almost.

Well, this issue is important to me, so I'll take it seriously.

Wait, what is this thread about? The storage solution is coming but not until 2009. That is what this thread should have been about.

BTW, you can already play DLC directly from the SD card so we don't have to wait until 2009 for that.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Cactus said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Cactus said:

@ Words of Wisdom

Judging from your post

@LordTheNightKnight

You didn't read the whole thread did you? if you did you would realize that most sources say nothing about playing from the card, only a few do, which means we don't know which sites got lost in translation and which didn't. Also, at the US conference, Reggie did not explicitly say "You could play the games from the SD card" either. Why would they leave out such an important fact?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because that's a given? Otherwise they wouldn't bother announcing anything? Because there would be nothing to announce?

All I'm saying is as of now, the only new feature I can see is being able to download onto SD cards instead of always directly on the Wii itself.

I'm not saying it wont happen, but I can't see why they wouldn't just come out and say that we could. Also I appreciate your sarcasm. you know it really doesn't make you look like a dick.

Look at the bottom of the first page. Arkk gave a link.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

To reiterate my stance, I would love to be able to boot games off of an SD card, but nothing I've read so far has confirmed this. Blog sources are mixed/unreliable for the JPN conference and Reggie himself said something along the lines of

"- Purchase/download WiiWare/VC software directly to SD. Transfer process will become ‘dramatically easier" (taken from GoNintendo)

...which doesn't mention anything about direct-from-SD playing.

@ LordTheNightKnight

Here's another live blog that doesn't mention it.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblogging-th.html

Kotaku's also doesn't mention anything about it

http://kotaku.com/5057867/liveblogging-the-nintendo-press-conference-liveblog

Until the statements can be officially clarified, I woudn't believe any of them. That's my point

CAL4M1TY said:

[...]

@Galaki and the SD card's sizes post:

A 500gb HDD cost me $100AUD last week, how much will a 32gb SD card cost me now? according to the sandisk website a 32gb SD card will cost $179.99USD.

Personally, I'm not paying $180USD (which would probably cost over $200 for the equivalent in AUD) for a 32gb SD card when Nintendo could have easily just allowed HDD to be used. Sure if the Wii were a portable camera and an SD card was practical because of size then I wouldn't mind paying the amount, but the Wii sits on the stand I have my tv on and there is space next to it to fit a HDD.

I went and looked up what kind of SD cards you can use with the Wii.  It will only recognize SD cards up to 2 GB.  That means those huge SD cards are useless anyway.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Cactus said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

Here's another live blog that doesn't mention it.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblogging-th.html

Kotaku's also doesn't mention anything about it

http://kotaku.com/5057867/liveblogging-the-nintendo-press-conference-liveblog

Until the statements can be officially clarified, I woudn't believe any of them. That's my point

Arkk gave a link where it WAS clarified. What do you think I was referring to? Magic pixies?

And last I chaecked you need a link that with OPPOSITE proof, not a lack of proof.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Sorry for the length of this post, but I thought some of you might be interested in what Mr. Iwata actually said at the conference in Tokyo. Below is my translation of what he said regarding the storage issue (from the text of his speech provided on the Nintendo website):

最近、SDメモリーカードは非常に安価になりましたが、本体保存メモリ不足時のSDメモリーカードの使い勝手の現状には、課題があると認識しています。任天堂では、お客様からの声をお聞かせいただきながら、本体のセキュリティを犠牲にすることなく、かつお客様の利便性を向上させる最も良い方法は何か、ということを、この間、研究してきました。この問題への対応には今しばらく時間をいただかかなければなりませんが、方向性は決まりましたので、今日、みなさんにご報告しておきたいと思います。

Recently, SD memory cards have become extremely inexpensive, and we recognize there is an issue with the current usability of SD memory cards when the Wii's internal memory becomes full. While listening to the needs of our customers, Nintendo has been researching the best method for improving user-friendliness without sacrificing the security of the Wii. While it will require some more time for us to resolve these issues, I am happy to report to you today that we have decided upon the solution to be implemented.

私たちの検討の結果、ショッピングチャンネルで、本体保存メモリに空きが不足しているときは、SDメモリーカード上に直接、チャンネル、バーチャルコンソール、WiiウェアなどのWiiソフトをダウンロード購入できるようにすること、そしてSDメモリーカード上のチャンネルなどのWiiソフトを、簡便な操作で本体保存メモリにコピーして実行することを1回の操作で行えるようにすること、この2つの点で対応することで、この問題に対処する方針を固めました。このような仕組みを実現するシステムのアップデートは、システムのかなり大がかりな変更になり、多面的かつ徹底した検証が必要になりますので、「対応が遅い!」と感じられる方も多いと思いますが、お客様にご提供できる時期は来年の春となる見込みです。重要課題として少しでも早くご提供できるよう、開発を急いでいくつもりですので、ご理解をお願いしたいと思います。

As a result of our research, we have decided to make 2 changes to resolve these issues. First, when the Wii's internal memory is full, you will be able to download Wii software such as channels, virtual console games, and Wii Ware games from the Shopping Channel directly onto an SD memory card. Second, you will be able to copy Wii software from an SD memory card to the Wii's internal memory with one easy operation. The update required to achieve this structure will require major changes to the system, and therefore will require multifaceted and thorough validation. I suspect there will be many people who feel that our response is too slow, but we plan to be able to provide this update to our customers in the spring of next year. Please understand that we plan to hurry the development of this update in order to provide this important solution as soon as possible.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69