By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will not fix the storage problem

mike_intellivision said:
Ramuji

Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure all the details are fully known on this.
But from what has been said -- it appears the OP was right in his fear.

If this is true as currently understood/described, the question becomes WHY? -- as in what difference does this make?

All I can think of is that the real change is to speed up the transfer rates so that it is much easier than the current operation (which seems to be the way we will still be doing things).

Mike from Morgantown

I completely agree that there are a lot of unknown details. I just don't want people to get their expectations up about things that haven't actually been said.

Another thing to keep in mind: Mr. Iwata never said anything about an increase in transfer rates.

It is possible that the "2 parts" of the update should be thought of as two completely separate/unrelated changes.
First, the direct download to SD solves the problem of going into the Shopping Channel, starting the process of purchasing/downloading a new game, discovering that you don't have enough internal memory space to save that game, exiting the shopping channel, going into the Wii menu, deleting files from internal memory, going back into the Shopping Channel ... etc. A very tedious process.
Second, the "easier" operation for copying files from SD to internal memory could be exactly what we have now (i.e. the same transfer rates), but for example maybe a new channel on the menu that makes it easier to access an SD card quickly, rather than going through all the pages of the Wii menu.

Personally, I have hopes about improved transfer speed and direct play from SD card, but it doesn't do any good to speculate about this since Nintendo hasn't even implied that either will be made possible. (This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a general comment.)

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Around the Network
ramuji said:
mike_intellivision said:
Ramuji

Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure all the details are fully known on this.
But from what has been said -- it appears the OP was right in his fear.

If this is true as currently understood/described, the question becomes WHY? -- as in what difference does this make?

All I can think of is that the real change is to speed up the transfer rates so that it is much easier than the current operation (which seems to be the way we will still be doing things).

Mike from Morgantown

I completely agree that there are a lot of unknown details. I just don't want people to get their expectations up about things that haven't actually been said.

Another thing to keep in mind: Mr. Iwata never said anything about an increase in transfer rates.

It is possible that the "2 parts" of the update should be thought of as two completely separate/unrelated changes.
First, the direct download to SD solves the problem of going into the Shopping Channel, starting the process of purchasing/downloading a new game, discovering that you don't have enough internal memory space to save that game, exiting the shopping channel, going into the Wii menu, deleting files from internal memory, going back into the Shopping Channel ... etc. A very tedious process.
Second, the "easier" operation for copying files from SD to internal memory could be exactly what we have now (i.e. the same transfer rates), but for example maybe a new channel on the menu that makes it easier to access an SD card quickly, rather than going through all the pages of the Wii menu.

Personally, I have hopes about improved transfer speed and direct play from SD card, but it doesn't do any good to speculate about this since Nintendo hasn't even implied that either will be made possible. (This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a general comment.)

Bleh, that's still barely an advantage.  It's fairly easy to tell if you have enough memory or not, and it certainly doesn't hurt to gain more than needed.  And direct access to the SD only save about 8 seconds.   And you still have to do double jostling when downloading to the card. 

But, it does seem to look that way.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

Hey, Nintendo is hell bent on making sure the Wii doesnt have any of the things the HD consoles have. Why should they change that now? They will still sell millions of consoles because you guys wont show your displeasure with your buying dollars, and the world will still turn. All the while the HD consoles will continue to have 100 gig+ hard drives and none of these problems. :P

Seriously though, Nintendo really is showing you guys what they have done since the N64. They have one good idea, then lots and lots of bad ones to follow it up. 4 controller slots? Great idea. Cartridges still? Oops. Affordable Portables? Check. Make it MICRO!! oops.

Im sure this rumored Wii HD will have a hard drive, and you will all praise Nintendo for their genius. The world continues to turn.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

I'm really confused by all of this, why would they announce a solution that is the same situation we're in? The only change is I can transfer my old game to SD card then download my new one, with this new process I download to my SD card and transfer that to my Wii... THAT DOESN'T SOLVE ANYTHING... Now having an SD channel and being able to play straight from it would be a solution... I don't see how it could possibly make security a factor.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

|_emmiwinks said:
Hey, Nintendo is hell bent on making sure the Wii doesnt have any of the things the HD consoles have. Why should they change that now? They will still sell millions of consoles because you guys wont show your displeasure with your buying dollars, and the world will still turn. All the while the HD consoles will continue to have 100 gig+ hard drives and none of these problems. :P

Seriously though, Nintendo really is showing you guys what they have done since the N64. They have one good idea, then lots and lots of bad ones to follow it up. 4 controller slots? Great idea. Cartridges still? Oops. Affordable Portables? Check. Make it MICRO!! oops.

Im sure this rumored Wii HD will have a hard drive, and you will all praise Nintendo for their genius. The world continues to turn.

You continue to not contribute anything to any Nintendo thread you post in.  Stop trolling.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000