By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star Ocean 4 detailed.

great addition to the RPG titles on 360

Around the Network

Day 1 when it comes to the US. Looking forward to finally buying a Star Ocean game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Story seems nice....its been my dream to do what the main characters are doing in Star Ocean 4

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Story seems nice....its been my dream to do what the main characters are doing in Star Ocean 4

Same here.

I've always thought that RPGs with really "grand" universes, such as SO4 and the Phantasy Star series did a great job of making their games feel epic, since you got to travel to incredible locations.

The few scenes from SO4 have really looked "epic" in the fact they are diverse, and give a sense of awe in the making you feel like you are indeed one of the first travelers into the Star Ocean.

mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Same here.

I've always thought that RPGs with really "grand" universes, such as SO4 and the Phantasy Star series did a great job of making their games feel epic, since you got to travel to incredible locations.

The few scenes from SO4 have really looked "epic" in the fact they are diverse, and give a sense of awe in the making you feel like you are indeed one of the first travelers into the Star Ocean.

Exactly my thoughts.....I will happily support a "Epic space Opera" JRPG more than a "medievel" JRPG anyday.

Medievel is for WRPJ's (Fable, Oblivion, witcher)....I think JRPG's are done best as Space ones....or Mixed ones (all our post FF6 FF's except for FF9)

There are obviously exceptions such as the best WRPJ is actually a space one (SW:KOTOR) & the best JRPG's are medievel (FF6, Chrono Trigger)

Maybe the 360 exclusive to turn me over is finally arriving

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I cant wait, I just really hope that there is a quick EU release... especially as I cant import from America, though it would give me a chance to finish the 1st games

I really hope they actually make a sci-fi RPG. Mass Effect was great, but SO3 was said to a sci-fi one, and then you get stuck in medieval equivalent times.... really annoying, but screens so far have been awesome

darthdevidem01 said:

Exactly my thoughts.....I will happily support a "Epic space Opera" JRPG more than a "medievel" JRPG anyday.

Medievel is for WRPJ's (Fable, Oblivion, witcher)....I think JRPG's are done best as Space ones....or Mixed ones (all our post FF6 FF's except for FF9)

There are obviously exceptions such as the best WRPJ is actually a space one (SW:KOTOR) & the best JRPG's are medievel (FF6, Chrono Trigger)

Eh. I don't know. Both sides of the ocean and landmasses have done good and bad jobs at fantasy and sci-fi based storytelling and game areas.

The West has Mass Effect, KOTOR and Fallout. The East has Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei (at least the old ones were futuristic) and Phantasy Star.

Fantasy-wise, the East has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, while the West has The Witcher, and Oblivion.

Honestly, I don't think, in classic settings, either side has a real advantage in terms of storytelling. Most of my favorite RPGs are all futuristic in someone way: Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Phantasy Star, Fallout, and the like all have various elements of sci-fi, as opposed to the traditional "Magical/Industrial" theme that Final Fantasy overplayed, and many adopted (as well as the classical LOTR worlds of Western design).

Having said that, I do agree that the East excells at sci-fi writing. Looking at even the quentessential classic Final Fantasy, contained an endgame (spoliers).........That involved time travel. Even in J-pop culture via movies, they prefer their sci-fi more than what a Western observer would consider "tradtional" fantasy storytelling. Movies like Akira hopefully don't steriotype Japanese storywriting, but define where they excell at as such a technologically advanced culture.

mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Eh. I don't know. Both sides of the ocean and landmasses have done good and bad jobs at fantasy and sci-fi based storytelling and game areas.

The West has Mass Effect, KOTOR and Fallout. The East has Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei (at least the old ones were futuristic) and Phantasy Star.

Fantasy-wise, the East has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, while the West has The Witcher, and Oblivion.

Honestly, I don't think, in classic settings, either side has a real advantage in terms of storytelling. Most of my favorite RPGs are all futuristic in someone way: Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Phantasy Star, Fallout, and the like all have various elements of sci-fi, as opposed to the traditional "Magical/Industrial" theme that Final Fantasy overplayed, and many adopted (as well as the classical LOTR worlds of Western design).

Having said that, I do agree that the East excells at sci-fi writing. Looking at even the quentessential classic Final Fantasy, contained an endgame (spoliers).........That involved time travel. Even in J-pop culture via movies, they prefer their sci-fi more than what a Western observer would consider "tradtional" fantasy storytelling. Movies like Akira hopefully don't steriotype Japanese storywriting, but define where they excell at as such a technologically advanced culture.

Sci-fi writing tends to be a lot more interesting than fantasy writing since fantasy depends on stereotypes most of the time(Sci-fi does have its share of stereotypes too though).

SO4 looks like something to look forward to.  Story sounds interesting, gameplay is an update of the already (mostly)excellent gameplay of SO3, and nice visuals on top of that.

Another reason to get a 360 in '09... which I'll probably do.

This game looks great, a must-own for any RPG lover! I will be reserving my copy in January hopefully.