By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star Ocean 4 detailed.

mrstickball said:

Eh. I don't know. Both sides of the ocean and landmasses have done good and bad jobs at fantasy and sci-fi based storytelling and game areas.

The West has Mass Effect, KOTOR and Fallout. The East has Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei (at least the old ones were futuristic) and Phantasy Star.

Fantasy-wise, the East has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, while the West has The Witcher, and Oblivion.

Honestly, I don't think, in classic settings, either side has a real advantage in terms of storytelling. Most of my favorite RPGs are all futuristic in someone way: Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Phantasy Star, Fallout, and the like all have various elements of sci-fi, as opposed to the traditional "Magical/Industrial" theme that Final Fantasy overplayed, and many adopted (as well as the classical LOTR worlds of Western design).

Having said that, I do agree that the East excells at sci-fi writing. Looking at even the quentessential classic Final Fantasy, contained an endgame (spoliers).........That involved time travel. Even in J-pop culture via movies, they prefer their sci-fi more than what a Western observer would consider "tradtional" fantasy storytelling. Movies like Akira hopefully don't steriotype Japanese storywriting, but define where they excell at as such a technologically advanced culture.

Ultima, Planescape: Torment, Space Quest, The Dig...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Exactly my thoughts.....I will happily support a "Epic space Opera" JRPG more than a "medievel" JRPG anyday.

Medievel is for WRPJ's (Fable, Oblivion, witcher)....I think JRPG's are done best as Space ones....or Mixed ones (all our post FF6 FF's except for FF9)

There are obviously exceptions such as the best WRPJ is actually a space one (SW:KOTOR) & the best JRPG's are medievel (FF6, Chrono Trigger)

Maybe the 360 exclusive to turn me over is finally arriving

Eh. I don't know. Both sides of the ocean and landmasses have done good and bad jobs at fantasy and sci-fi based storytelling and game areas.

The West has Mass Effect, KOTOR and Fallout. The East has Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei (at least the old ones were futuristic) and Phantasy Star.

Fantasy-wise, the East has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, while the West has The Witcher, and Oblivion.

Honestly, I don't think, in classic settings, either side has a real advantage in terms of storytelling. Most of my favorite RPGs are all futuristic in someone way: Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Phantasy Star, Fallout, and the like all have various elements of sci-fi, as opposed to the traditional "Magical/Industrial" theme that Final Fantasy overplayed, and many adopted (as well as the classical LOTR worlds of Western design).

Having said that, I do agree that the East excells at sci-fi writing. Looking at even the quentessential classic Final Fantasy, contained an endgame (spoliers).........That involved time travel. Even in J-pop culture via movies, they prefer their sci-fi more than what a Western observer would consider "tradtional" fantasy storytelling. Movies like Akira hopefully don't steriotype Japanese storywriting, but define where they excell at as such a technologically advanced culture.

Don't get your hopes too much. Star Ocean 3 was 75% medieval and 25% sci-fi. It was pretty good though but the Sci-Fi came way too late. Hopefully, this is better.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

I have read that the new leader for SO4 is a big Trekkie, so I am really hoping for some sci-fi, and also it is said that you can pilot your ship.... great news for me!

Godot said:
mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Exactly my thoughts.....I will happily support a "Epic space Opera" JRPG more than a "medievel" JRPG anyday.

Medievel is for WRPJ's (Fable, Oblivion, witcher)....I think JRPG's are done best as Space ones....or Mixed ones (all our post FF6 FF's except for FF9)

There are obviously exceptions such as the best WRPJ is actually a space one (SW:KOTOR) & the best JRPG's are medievel (FF6, Chrono Trigger)

Don't get your hopes too much. Star Ocean 3 was 75% medieval and 25% sci-fi. It was pretty good though but the Sci-Fi came way too late. Hopefully, this is better.

Tri-Ace said that while the game would still have medieval planets, you would be able to polit your own ship and that you wouldn't be stuck on one planet for a majority of the game.  SO3 was good but if they had cut out the medieval part and only kept the sci-fi part in the game, the game could have been something amazing.  Also, the plot twist wouldn't be as controversial.

Godot said:
mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Tri-Ace said that while the game would still have medieval planets, you would be able to polit your own ship and that you wouldn't be stuck on one planet for a majority of the game. SO3 was good but if they had cut out the medieval part and only kept the sci-fi part in the game, the game could have been something amazing. Also, the plot twist wouldn't be as controversial.

EDIT:Sorry about double post.  I had trouble post this and keep refreshing the site whcih resulted in the double post

Around the Network

Sounds good, can u hope that it will come to ps3 aswell.

Soriku said:
lol at the names. Faize Sheifa Beleth? Lymle Remli Phi? Wow.

Besides that, the game sounds awesome.

They are aliens.  Of course their names sound wierd.

@Munkeh111

That's not a big deal.  Yoshiharu Gotanda, the creator of the Star Ocean series, was also a big Trekkie.

I can't wait to play this game. Looks good.

Riachu said:
Soriku said:

They are aliens.  Of course their names sound wierd.

@Munkeh111

That's not a big deal.  Yoshiharu Gotanda, the creator of the Star Ocean series, was also a big Trekkie.

The human names aren't any better. Edge Maverick?

Granted, freaky names are Star Ocean tradition.

But more importantly is the enemy line of sight. It sounds cool, but knowing how crazy Star Ocean is I have to wonder how much use it's going to get. And swapping characters mid-battle goes back to SO1. From what I remember it wasn't that practical so I never really used it, hopefully it's integrated better in SO4.

HOUR ONE!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:

They are aliens. Of course their names sound wierd.

@Munkeh111

That's not a big deal. Yoshiharu Gotanda, the creator of the Star Ocean series, was also a big Trekkie.

The human names aren't any better. Edge Maverick?

Granted, freaky names are Star Ocean tradition.

But more importantly is the enemy line of sight. It sounds cool, but knowing how crazy Star Ocean is I have to wonder how much use it's going to get. And swapping characters mid-battle goes back to SO1. From what I remember it wasn't that practical so I never really used it, hopefully it's integrated better in SO4.

HOUR ONE!

When you mean character swapping, do you mean you can switch someone in and out of the party during battle or do you just mean that you can switch between the current party members?  If it is the latter, SO3 has mastered that and it was very intuitive since you could switch between Party Members with just the press of a button.