By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - rumor ps4 might use ps3 cell chip

As mentioned I think it'll be multiple Cells, when they released the PS4, it could possibly be up to 4 16 nm Cells there, also as SSJ12 pointed out the PSP 2 will likely launch with a 22nm cell.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
.... Sony announced this in 2005 as their plans... really... this is old news... people are just realizing this is what they are planning... they also plan on using a micro-cell for the PSP2...

oh...we all must of missed that news :p

sigh please read the article

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

"They speculate that while Sony would like to distance themselves from the Cell in the long run..."

this makes me think this is pure rumor and nothing more. i highly doubt sony would ever distance themselves from the cell. unless they make something that is x10 better than the cell and instead of calling it the cell3 calling it uberprocessor

I did, and I fail to believe that Sony will go with just one cell and barely make any progress on the technological front like Nintendo did with the GC-Wii...However, if this is what's gonna happen then I'll just buy a X720.

Around the Network
FilaBrasileiro said:
I did, and I fail to believe that Sony will go with just one cell and barely make any progress on the technological front like Nintendo did with the GC-Wii...However, if this is what's gonna happen then I'll just buy a X720.

720 will likely go the same game multi core cpu.

quadcore (likely)or octacore (probable)

Sony did a real future plan this time, because it's the first time they do a console that is potentially more powerful than the other ones, so next time they do not need to reinvent the wheel...

While more time passes, the software companies learn more about "Power of teh Cell", and developers like Insomniac are sharing info about this CPU... So next console, they only need to do a more powerful Cell, increase the RAM dramatically and get a RSX2 or something like that from nVidia or ATI... With this, the devs won't have to do drastic changes to their engines, the PS4 will get "next-gen" power (jejeje) and the costs will be down... Sony should think about that...

There won't be a Ps4, Sony just can't compete with ninty.

Double the memory both CPU and GPU and double the Cell processors from 8 to 16 and you have the PS4- Cell 2.0 in 2012.

This appears to be pure speculation. Also, doesn't the article say something about "only 10 cores" in the PS4? The PS3 doesn't have that, so you're wrong about it being the same exact thing.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!