By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stof delves in to survival horror.

Moving to South Korea in a few days with my partner, I decided that I should pick up a game or two (as we're bringing the Wii and DS's). 

I'd decided upon the following games, the Resident Evil remake, F-Zero GX. Somehow, the first place I went to had neither game, but the second place had not only the REmake, but ETERNAL DARKNESS! for.... 5 bucks!

So I happily leave the store with two epic survival horror games. But there's more. Arriving at my girlfriend's house, I find that she had purchased Cake Mania. And if she gets a new DS game, I should have a DS game for the flight too. My choice? Wario Ware Twisted. But somehow, two EB games in a row don't have the game. So what do I end up with? Dementium: The Ward! (she got Cooking Mama).

So here I am, a man whose only survival horror credentials to this point consist of Umbrella Chronicles and about 5 hours of Silent Hill, looking at 3 top notch horror games. I've started Dementium, and I'm already blown away by what Renegade Kid has pulled off on the DS. I was skeptical that a handheld could be scary, but this game is high on the creep factor. It will be enjoyed.

I can't wait to be terrified and then terrified again, and then again after that!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

I thought delve meant like rips into, and I was excited. Seeing your joy was a major disappointment. Boooo.

Bad graphics make great horror games for the same reason poor production values make great horror films, the more dirty and gritty you can make it the better. I loved RE on the DS even though it wasn't really anything new.

I still need to pick up Dementium it looks really good.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I got the Cube Resident Evil, not the DS one. I heard the DS one actually wasn't that good. Is that incorrect?

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Congrats on the great purchases Stof, I'm glad you're already enjoying them.

Remember: REmake is only to be played at night with the lights off. My friends and I had many a great time screaming in terror whenever we could hear the shuffles of zombies approaching.

Oh, and with Eternal Darkness, be sure to get your sanity meter as low as possible. Less sanity = More fun.

Have fun.

Around the Network

Wut? I bought RE Deadly Silence on DS it was great, it was a faithful port of the original game with all the cut scenes and bad voice acting. I mean RE1 was like the best game that could have been a B movie. It was a lot of fun just you had to deal with the whole fixed camera issues of the original game of course. But it also had knife fights and such which were just fun little interruptions in the game.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

IMO, best survival horror games are in this order, from best to worst.

1. REmake(Gamecube)
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Fatal Frame 2: Director's Cut
4. Eternal Darkness: SR
5. System Shock 2
6. Clock Tower
7. Alien Verses Predator 2
8. Resident Evil(Playstation 1)
9. Silent Hill
10. Resident Evil 2

The top 2 in most lists are usually some version of Resident Evil 1 and some version of Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill 1 is sometimes substituted for SH2, simply for props, but 2 is the better game. Similarly, REmake is a better game than the original, simply due to the awesome mounds of extra content and very loving and comprehensive graphical upgrades. Who can ever forget the shark scene?

Resident Evil 4 is not a survival horror game.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

REmake, mmm, mmm good.

So Dementium is really that good?

(Off topic: When your in Pyongyang say "Hi!" to my buddy.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

KylieDog said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Resident Evil 4 is not a survival horror game.

I agree with that, though neither is Alien Verses Predator 2.

Did you play the Marine campaign, cause that capaign single handedly made AVP2 the scaries game I have ever played. Also as a marine it counts very much as a survival game as well.

Then again this is just me and I've found FEAR to be the scariest game to come out in the past few years.This is about to go off-topic and there'll be FEAR spoilers...

The very last time you have a hallucinatino of the lobby/hallway/hospita where adult Alama is present and you have to shoot her for her not to kill was probably the part that had the most impact on me. I got to that door of where she's giving birth and the guy explodes and coers the window, so I'm just standing there wonder "wtf do i do now?" and then the screen makes that effect when Alma "teleports" and then I keep staring a bit longer and decide to turn around just as Alma takes her last step and I had time to get in one shot, by reflex or just a twitch as I jumped back into my chair, but she lunged at me and killed me in 1 hit. That was the scariest moment of any game for me so far.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

steven787 said:
REmake, mmm, mmm good.

So Dementium is really that good?

(Off topic: When your in Pyongyang say "Hi!" to my buddy.)

We'll probably be spending most of our time in the south, but yeah sure.

I've only played a small portion of Dementium, but so far I'm quite impressed. I had no idea the DS could produce a game that looks so good. And it really is scary. So what more do you need?