By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disaster : Day of Crisis (Wii) first pic

Hmm.... http://forums.gametrailers.com/showpost.php?p=1644149&postcount=110

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

I think it looks very promising. I can't wait to see a clip that closer to a finalized version.

sieanr said: Diomedes1976 said: Well ....it seems a disaster yes ...those graphics would be at home on a Dreamcast or PS2 at best . I guess it's a good thing no one cares about gameplay, becuase we all know graphics never improve as a game's development advances.
This one is great. Gameplay? What are you trying to say? It sounds like this - "good-looking game has no gameplay, only crap like this can be fun". We all know.... ? Who are we. When I play racing game I like to feel the machine instead of moving some kind of block on the screen. When I play FPP shooter I'd like to feel the bullets flying around instead of watching some pixelised sprites. When I play horror game I'd like to be scared. I want graphic to be real. Look at lava and the columns - what is this? It is much more difficult to create great graphic than gameplay. When I have to pay for a game (especially when games on PS3, X360 and Wii cost almost the same) I expect great gameplay and graphic - Wii can't provide both of this.

So by your own definition, the first BioHazard and every one of them after that except the GC one, weren't scary ?

ookaze said: So by your own definition, the first BioHazard and every one of them after that except the GC one, weren't scary ?
It was scary, Silent Hill on PS, even Alone in the dark was also damn scary because of great graphic (as for 90). Hardware is also changing right now and something damn real in 90 today looks awful. That is the way it goes.

Around the Network

While this doesn't look like my type of game, if they're putting more money into gameplay than graphics I think that's an excellent idea. I'd rather have a game that played well and didn't look that great than vice versa. I've seen far too many games that look amazing, but fall apart when you try to actually play them. Most of the games that I have been able to get into for extended periods of time haven't been terribly graphically intense titles. Typically strategy and RPG games, although I do enjoy a good racer every now and then. I've found that I also really enjoy games which promote activity of some sort outside of cramping your thumbs on the controller's buttons and joysticks. Games such as DDR, the Guitar Hero series, several Wii titles (particularly Wii Sports and Wario Ware: Smooth Moves) and the like have really made gaming more enjoyable, for both my wife and myself. Action games get beaten and then set aside with few exceptions, and FPS games are a big yawner for me unless there's a good amount of puzzle action involved. The original Doom was great IMO, it had very fast action and level design that challenged you to find all the secrets. The series degenerated over time into what we now know as Doom 3, basically a lot of monsters thrown into what might as well be a side scroller for all the ways you have to play through the game. I probably won't get the next title if they don't do something dramatically different with the game play. The point of all this is that not everyone is a hard-core gamer. A number of people are going to enjoy games that you would consider "crap", and these people would probably never play half of the games you enjoy the most. Most women for example, and probably most people outside of the early teen to 20s range. I'd also be willing to bet that there are more of these people than hard-core gamers. The Sims and Bejeweled sold extremely well, and I'm guessing it's not hard-core gamers that are buying them.

It is much more difficult to create great graphic than gameplay.
I couldn't disagree more. Great gameplay, particularly of the innovative variety, is rarer by far than great graphics; it's just not something that throwing in more CPU power will get you.

kber81 said: This one is great. Gameplay? What are you trying to say? It sounds like this - "good-looking game has no gameplay, only crap like this can be fun". We all know.... ? Who are we. When I play racing game I like to feel the machine instead of moving some kind of block on the screen. When I play FPP shooter I'd like to feel the bullets flying around instead of watching some pixelised sprites. When I play horror game I'd like to be scared. I want graphic to be real. Look at lava and the columns - what is this? It is much more difficult to create great graphic than gameplay. When I have to pay for a game (especially when games on PS3, X360 and Wii cost almost the same) I expect great gameplay and graphic - Wii can't provide both of this.
Please. Some of the best games ever didn't have the best graphics. You don't remember it that way, because you remember a great game for the experience you had...this "immersion" you seem to like in your games. Halo's graphics suck, and everyone seems to like it. You like the feel of racing? That's called gameplay. A racing game sucks if it doesn't drive well...if you turn the corner and the car doesn't behave like it should. Graphics come second. Visuals are important in a game...it's very important to feel immersed in your game...but HD and the latest shaders are not what make graphics good. Art style, design, these make the good game look good too. If you can't appreciate anything unless you can see bullets whizzing past your head with particle effects, HDR, and loads of anti-aliasing, then you should just stick to your FPS's and leave the real gamers alone.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

May the force be with you on this one, Obi-wan. Reminds me of when a buddy got his first PC, about 4-5 years ago. He wanted games, so I ftp'd him some (back then) state-of-the-art games (HL, Undying, etc). He thought the graphics were the shiznit. Then I told him to download one more game I uploaded, a 6mb file. He said, "You're joking, right? Can a 6mb game be any good?" Six months later, he was STILL raving about the game - discussing strategies and tactics with me almost daily. Graphics sucked elephant 'nads - try VGA 320x200. No voice-overs. Even the MIDI sounds were craptastic, even back then. However, the gameplay rocked him so hard he didn't even play any "graphics-whore" games until he passed this 6mb game three times. This game is being revamped by indie developers/fans even today, to try to bring the graphics to today's standards while keeping the gameplay intact. I believe you can download it for free. The game? It's called X-Com. Man, some of the best games ever (for me at least) are turn-based strategy games. I don't care how you dress one of these games up, but if you've ever played X-Com, or Civilization for that matter, you can see while graphics do make the game look nice, the gameplay is what makes these games seriously rock. You want fancy-schmancy immersive graphics that cross the uncanny valley and look hot-shit? Rent a movie. LOTR is highly recommended. Otherwise, gameplay will, at least for me, ALWAYS come first.

your mother said: May the force be with you on this one, Obi-wan. Reminds me of when a buddy got his first PC, about 4-5 years ago. He wanted games, so I ftp'd him some (back then) state-of-the-art games (HL, Undying, etc). He thought the graphics were the shiznit. Then I told him to download one more game I uploaded, a 6mb file. He said, "You're joking, right? Can a 6mb game be any good?" Six months later, he was STILL raving about the game - discussing strategies and tactics with me almost daily. Graphics sucked elephant 'nads - try VGA 320x200. No voice-overs. Even the MIDI sounds were craptastic, even back then. However, the gameplay rocked him so hard he didn't even play any "graphics-whore" games until he passed this 6mb game three times. This game is being revamped by indie developers/fans even today, to try to bring the graphics to today's standards while keeping the gameplay intact. I believe you can download it for free. The game? It's called X-Com. Man, some of the best games ever (for me at least) are turn-based strategy games. I don't care how you dress one of these games up, but if you've ever played X-Com, or Civilization for that matter, you can see while graphics do make the game look nice, the gameplay is what makes these games seriously rock. You want fancy-schmancy immersive graphics that cross the uncanny valley and look hot-shit? Rent a movie. LOTR is highly recommended. Otherwise, gameplay will, at least for me, ALWAYS come first.
Damn that sounds like me and civ 1, I played that game (and only that game) for years no other number have gotten the same love :)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

The texture and lava are alright, but the pillar, platform and the guy sucks ass. I heard these were really early shots?