By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mrstickball buys DS: Reccomend some games.

I took the plunge. I have to endure a very long flight to my company's HQ in Oregon early tommorow morning. This will be my 3rd or 4th trip over there. And if you've ever flown from the east coast to west coast...You know it's a horribly long trip.

At any rate, I got a DS late tonight on a semi spur of the moment deal. It's my birthday, and I figured that enduring the trip with a DS may be a bit more enjoyable.

Wal-Mart has the most atrocious section of DS games (they were the only DS retailer open that late)...80% of their stock is utter trash. Fortunately, they had Lock's Quest at $29.95, so I figured I couldn't go wrong there.

So suggest some good games for good ol' Mrstick.

I like:

• JRPGs
  • Simulation (Sim City, Capitalism)

And that's about it. I'm already considering (if I buy many games for the DS):

• Dragon Quest IV (almost got it instead of LC, but it was $50)
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2
  • The Worlds Ends With You
  • Chrono Trigger (should it release in NA)

Outside of that, I'm unsure what I want. You can go outside of the JRPG and Sim selection. Look at what games I own, and you may get a good idea on what I like. I enjoy "smart" games - strategy, sims, RPGs, and the like. And I only plan on buying a FEW games, so I want the cream of the crop.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Oh, and I will be traveling through Seattle. Do they happen to have any DS vendors at the airport? I know the DS has functionality at their airport via the WiFi connection...So one would assume there may be a vendor there.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Congrats to Mr. Stickball. Seriously, you have made a considerably wise investment.

As for games...

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=36367

Peruse, and enjoy.

get the world ends with you!!!!! (L)

and maybe kingdom hearts: 358/2 days later

Get Advance Wars Dual Strike, the best DS game in my opinion. Seems like you enjoy strategy games, you'll have a blast with it.  The World Ends With You is also very recommendable

Around the Network

Advance War Dual Strike and Advance War Day of Ruins.
Phoenix Wright series.
Rondo of Swords (REALLY TOUGH!)
Pokemon Pearl or D....just get Platinum when it comes out.
Rune Factory.

That should be a good start to the games you already listed.

mrstickball said:

I like:

• JRPGs

I enjoy "smart" games - strategy, sims, RPGs, and the like. And I only plan on buying a FEW games, so I want the cream of the crop.

You are in luck.

- Age of Empires
- Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
- Sid Meir's Civilization Revolution

You got Lock's Quest and you already listed most of the best JRPG's. You might also enjoy Etrian Odyssey (get the second one).

EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA EBA

Oh and Harvest Moon Rune Factory (cross between a sim and a rpg) and Advance Wars Dual Strike match your interests.

fkusumot said:
mrstickball said:

I like:

• JRPGs

I enjoy "smart" games - strategy, sims, RPGs, and the like. And I only plan on buying a FEW games, so I want the cream of the crop.

You are in luck.

- Age of Empires
- Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
- Sid Meir's Civilization Revolution

You got Lock's Quest and you already listed most of the best JRPG's. You might also enjoy Etrian Odyssey (get the second one).

Yes! Age of Empires is awesome, as are the Advance Wars games. Haven't played the others you mentioned though.

Anyways, let me just say there is nothing worse than a "I just got xxx system, recommend me some games"-threads, then clicking the thread to see the topic creator inform you that he/she only plays one of two types of games over and over.

By the way Stickball, there is a SimCity game for the DS. I have it and it's not so bad, but could and should have been a lot better. I'm keeping my eye on SimCity Creator also.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

I really liked the World Ends With You. Some people complained that the controls were too complicated, I think those people just suck. It's a little more difficult (battles) than most JRPGs.

The system is actually quite easy if you remember the Dpad combos and don't have to watch the top screen to do them (which you don't have to, and usually your eyes are free enough to watch the results and prepare positioning and timing).

Fun stuff. I made it sound un-fun, but it really is fun.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.