By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mrstickball buys DS: Reccomend some games.

quigontcb said:
fkusumot said:
mrstickball said:

I enjoy "smart" games - strategy, sims, RPGs, and the like. And I only plan on buying a FEW games, so I want the cream of the crop.

You are in luck.

- Age of Empires
- Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
- Sid Meir's Civilization Revolution

You got Lock's Quest and you already listed most of the best JRPG's. You might also enjoy Etrian Odyssey (get the second one).

Yes! Age of Empires is awesome, as are the Advance Wars games. Haven't played the others you mentioned though.

Anyways, let me just say there is nothing worse than a "I just got xxx system, recommend me some games"-threads, then clicking the thread to see the topic creator inform you that he/she only plays one of two types of games over and over.

By the way Stickball, there is a SimCity game for the DS. I have it and it's not so bad, but could and should have been a lot better. I'm keeping my eye on SimCity Creator also.

Quigon, if you thought SimCity was not so bad then... oh wait, you said it should have been a lot better. Oh yeah, it shoulda been. I couldn't in good conscience recommend it because it leaves so much to be desired.

OTOH, Populous is on the DS and I do recommend that but it's import only. Despite being in Japanese it's easy to play without knowing any Japanese whatsoever.

And yeah, Age of Empires is superb if you like strategy turn-based stuff (like Advance Wars). Despite some shortcomings (slightly clunky interface, bugged if you pick a 3-letter name) it is a worthy effort and a lot of fun to play. For me it was like playing "Ancient Art of War" all updated and spiffified for the DS (and I mean that in the most awesome way).

Around the Network
Acevil said:

Rondo of Swords (REALLY TOUGH!)

It's really not that tough. You just have to maximize the xp gained every battle since there's no grinding.

Although, you ended up having a few strong characters and many weak characters that you hardly use.

Gameplay is certainly unique for tactics style.

That also opens up to exploit. Upping the Movement makes your character too strong. Then again, this is the only tactics game that makes it possible to hit 11 enemies (max?) with your physical attack in 1 turn.

Most people couldn't get passed the last tutorial level, lol.

I highly recommend TWEWY, it's the kind of game that is only possible on the DS. Unique gameplay that actually doesn't suck for being the first of its kind.

Also, your first puzzler should be Picross.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to get a good bearing on what everyone "else" thought outside of the typical recommendations.

Somehow, I got a nice new copy of DQIV on the cheap at O'Hare airport in Chicago, so I already have a good library :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Well, other than what you have listed, I would say:
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Tetris DS
Geometry Wars Galaxies

Oh, and if you have friends with a DS get any of the Bombermab DS games (they're all like $10 new). You only need one cart for everybody and it's just a blast (heheh) playing with all your friends in one room.

I think the most fun game type is where you have to yell at your DS to make the bombs explode.

Around the Network

I think Advance Wars: Days or Ruin will be more up your alley than Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

As for other games,

SimCity Creator just got released yesterday, and it looks like a lot of fun, but I haven't read anything about it.

Theme Park (I owned it on PC) is a direct port of the PC game and is a fun them park/business simulator. It goes fairly in depth.

EDIT: and if you like puzzle games at all Professor Layton is a must buy.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Went to Seattle this summer they did have few vendors if I remember right ...

Former something....

If you like adventure game maybe you can try Phoenix Wright games and Hotel Dusk ( and the upcoming Flower Sun and Rain by Suda51).
Obviously many Nintendo games are top notch however I cite only an often forgotten one : Kirby Canvas Curse.

Too many good games for this system.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Get Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Trust me.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

World Ends With You and Hotel Dusk

Oh yeah and to keep naznatips happy: Phoenix Wright