By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: Why Wii Music is Genius

noname2200 said:

tuoyo said:

Read the whole article (I am real bored at work so need to pass away time till 5.30). Wii Music is not Genius. This chap is talking crap. He's talking about as much crap as Wii Music is. Having said that it is a sales Genius given that it will sell well over 5 million copies even though it only deserves to sell 2 copies. But in terms of the actual game/toy being Genius the answer is NO! NO! NO! NO!

Care to rebut his points? I'm being seriou here, mind you. Explain what you think he was saying, what support he was offering, and then rebut.

Okay I am bored but not that bored as to explain what he is saying and then rebut.  What I know is that putting a Wii Remote near your mouth and imagining it is a trumpet or flute or whatever, with your actions making very little difference to what music comes out of your tv can in no way be genious.  It is just imagination land.  You might as well put on a cd, grab your dvd remote and wave it around while imagining you are the one creating the music coming out of your speakers. 

Wii Sports was genuis cause it was a simulation which was very simple while at the same time close to the real thing.  Your swings and timing determined what happens in Wii Tennis.  With Wii Music Nintendo determines what happens.  You just have to imagine.  The game should have been developed by Ubisoft and called Imagine Music.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
tuoyo said:

Okay I am bored but not that bored as to explain what he is saying and then rebut.  What I know is that putting a Wii Remote near your mouth and imagining it is a trumpet or flute or whatever, with your actions making very little difference to what music comes out of your tv can in no way be genious.  It is just imagination land.  You might as well put on a cd, grab your dvd remote and wave it around while imagining you are the one creating the music coming out of your speakers. 

Wii Sports was genuis cause it was a simulation which was very simple while at the same time close to the real thing.  Your swings and timing determined what happens in Wii Tennis.  With Wii Music Nintendo determines what happens.  You just have to imagine.  The game should have been developed by Ubisoft and called Imagine Music.

You know, you should not bash this great game just because it is not targeted to you. I bet there are a lot of wii owners who will enjoy this masterpiece for years.

@Tuoyo: But the speed and timing are key issues in Wii Music anyway.
Think about the drums and guitar.

@Rol: Better late than ever. I actually read the Megaman post just before this thread was posted. Hey, it's not an article, shame on you.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Wii Music still tastes like a rice cake with even less taste.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

lolx.

Malstrom is so annoying.

He finds ways to make a simiple statement in research paper format.

I'd read this for real, but I've already read a few of his articles, and aside from contradicting himself on numerous occasions, it seems to me that he is such a deluded fanboy, that giving his site any hits, or reading any of his posts are just feuling the fire.

Around the Network

there is no such thing as ‘video game’

LOL.

He's too funny.

RolStoppable said:
I feel offended by this game's existence.

I know, I am kinda late, but I was reading the Mega Man article on his website.

Well it's about damn time, you were making me look bad. =P
So we got Rol, check.

tuoyo said:
Read the whole article (I am real bored at work so need to pass away time till 5.30). Wii Music is not Genius. This chap is talking crap. He's talking about as much crap as Wii Music is. Having said that it is a sales Genius given that it will sell well over 5 million copies even though it only deserves to sell 2 copies. But in terms of the actual game/toy being Genius the answer is NO! NO! NO! NO!

Tuoyo's closed-minded dribble about how he hates Wii Music yet can never stop posting in threads about it. Check.
Also, nice touch with the no, no, no's at the end. You sound like a spoiled child whose parents have asked you to share a toy with a sibling.

--OkeyDokey-- said:

The Wii games aren't terrible (except for Wii Play, but that's really just a $5 controller demo).
Wii Sports and espescially Wii Fit are great for what they are.

But this... this will be E.T. times a million!

Plenty of Wii Haters, but they don't count since they'd hate almost anything Wii related. OkeyDokey doesn't hate the Wii, just Wii Music. So check for Wii Music Hater.

Played_Out said:

Me: Why Malstrom is a Fucking Moron

Read any of his articles. If you still don't understand why, it is because you are a fucking moron too.
Congratulations! Knuckle-dragging degenerates like you are the reason Sarah Palin can increase McCain's poll rating, despite being one of the most profoundly stupid and ignorant people ever to (dis)grace the Earth.

And there's a big ole check for Malstrom Hater. And for bonus points we've got Kurakasa pulling some weird ass reverse psychology crap, trying to act like he likes Wii Music now. Probably because he'll think it makes people look bad when they agree with him.

I declare this thread...

At the Orginal Topic, I think this is one of Malstrom's better pieces. He sets aside melodrama to talk frankly about something that has been generated tons of hyperbole and hate.

I'm glad somebody else spotted the reality of it. Some of us don't like getting caught up in the rote memorization and learning aspect; that's not the meat of any experience. Sure, you can have fun when learning, but let's be honest: what was more fun, learning to ride a bike, or actually riding the bike on your own?

Wii Music is genius because it breaks away from the critical flaw of the game industry: the focus on teaching how to play instead of giving the experience sans training. Actually, all of the Wii series of games are good about that. You don't have to know how to play any of the sports on Wii Sports, the minigames in Wii Play need only 1 sentence each to describe how to play them, Wii Fit is perfectly intuitive, and even Mario Kart Wii is easy to play and requires no knowledge of how actual driving works to enjoy.

It's easy to make a complex experience that requires a lot of training to fully appreciate. That just requires time, energy, and no real creativity. But to make a simple experience that requires no training to appreciate, yet is intuitively fun... That is not so easy to pull off, though I'm sure many would argue it is. And to them, I say this: try and replicate the success of the Wii series with the same "simplify and perfect" mentality on something the Wii series has not touched on, and get back to us on how easy it actually was.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

@BrainBoxLtd

What? I really think this game is genious. It is not the game for me, but I can see it has potential to be a big seller. In fact, I want it to be succesful. What is your problem with that?

well, we'll see....but it can turn to be true. I mean, just look at wii sports, wii play and wii fit....nintendo knows it, they did something really amazing with the wii-series, and i expect wii music to be in that line. Nintendo is breaking that barrier that gave such a bad look to gamers in the past, that is unbelievable. Nintendo has done something important in this generation, and apparently a lot of people dont even bother to realize it.

I dont know if wii music is gonna sell a ton of copies, or if it is going to flop in sales. I dont find the game appealing to me, but still its a great idea, and could turn out to be something great. And of course...miyamoto is the really master piece here.