By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: Why Wii Music is Genius

I cant wait to get Wii Music, I dont know why but the more I hear about it the more hyped I get.

Gonna be a fine game.

Around the Network

Ah, good old Malstrom, Nintendo's best spokesman strikes again!

The article make sense. genius? *shrugs* maybe yes maybe not.

But the Hate gamers give to this game IS ABSURD.

Great read, and the sight of "hardcore gamers" freaking out about how this article calls wii music genius is priceless.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

--OkeyDokey-- said:

No... the real genius of Wii Music is - they gave a bunch of trainee game developers a few thousand bucks to throw together a game in the frame of two months, slapped "Wii" infront of the title and will make enough money out of it to end world hunger.

I can't believe I didn't think of it before them.

This is Miyamoto's idea and it's been in development for 3 years....

Around the Network
Phendrana said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

No... the real genius of Wii Music is - they gave a bunch of trainee game developers a few thousand bucks to throw together a game in the frame of two months, slapped "Wii" infront of the title and will make enough money out of it to end world hunger.

I can't believe I didn't think of it before them.

This is Miyamoto's idea and it's been in development for 3 years....

3 years of development or 3 years of Miyamoto having the idea in his head?

If you don't like it, don't buy it. ZOMG CRAZY THOUGHT I KNOW

I think this depends heavily upon what the final product of Wii Music turns out to be.

If it has some kind of challenge mode where the user is offered a game of timing or freestyling which awards points, then it could be fun.

But I've messed around with music simulators like Electroplankton before, and while they're fun for maybe 20 minutes, I'm basically done with the game after that. I just don't see what Wii Music is going to offer after that.

And even the most causal of gamers I know loves getting a high score and trying to beat their old one. Even Wii Sports and Wii Fit offer high scores and personal accolades which a player can then try to surpass later. I can attest to my mother's own attempts to beat her Wii Fit high scores.

If I gave her a game which was neat but offered no sense of purpose, then I doubt it would hold her interest. There are some games that can hold interest regardless of what they may or may not offer the player because they're so fun, but the bottom line is that Wii Music had better be at a "verging-on-carnal-pleasure" level of fun or else I couldn't imagine it being a worthwhile purchase.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

We will see... we will see.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Played_Out said:

Me: Why Malstrom is a Fucking Moron

Read any of his articles. If you still don't understand why, it is because you are a fucking moron too.
Congratulations! Knuckle-dragging degenerates like you are the reason Sarah Palin can increase McCain's poll rating, despite being one of the most profoundly stupid and ignorant people ever to (dis)grace the Earth.

The use of the terms "genius" and "art" in relation to Wii Music is an insult to aesthetes and intellectuals everywhere, as are the references to Shakespeare and Philip Glass. His video comparison makes no sense either, as he claims a reproduction is more accurate than the original!

"Why on Earth would anyone want to emulate the mechanical robot way of the latter when the former lets the player use his or her soul?"

Does he not realise that Wii Music uses MIDI tunes? Could there be anything more robotic or sterile than that? Incidentally, I can only think of one game that incorporates the music of Philip Glass and it really is as close as videogames have ever come to being art. Backlash or no backlash.

Lot's of popular music on the radio today uses MIDI.  I don't see why that would make it robotic or sterile.  It's all about composition.  One doesn't need real instruments to create music anymore. 

While this definitely isn't something that would make me purchase a Wii from what i've seen, I would like to try it. I'm not terribly musically inclined which leads me to believe the experience might frustrate me more than be enjoyable.  Maybe I can talk one of my Wii owning friends into renting it.