By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Australia Vs. Canada

Australia for sure.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I have an Uncle in Toronto, and have spent some time there.

Its a pretty close thing IMO. The main thing about Canada (Toronto?) I didn't like was the proximity to the US (it "felt" like the US to me - as much as it could, considering I had never been there).

Toronto had much better transport - and a more "wintery" climate (skiing/skating) - which I think is cool. Food also seemed pretty cheap there (not sure about much else).

I do love Melbourne (lived in Sydney for almost 20years, and wayyyy over it). Melbourne has a great culture IMO - sports, music, nightlife, etc.

In the end I think it depends WHERE in each country you would live. Have to live in CANBERRA, and I'll pick (just about?) anywhere in Canada anyday.

Pick Melbourne - and you'll be hard pressed to get me to live anywhere else in the world (although I'd love to live in Japan - if only I had paid more attention in Japanese classes :P).

So ATM Australia for me - but it only just edges out Canada. Need to spend more time there to make a stronger decision.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

BTW - what's up with Edmonton? I hear it has the biggest "mall" in the world, but that its also one huge hole ;) Can anyone here from Canada enlighten me further? (no offense to anyone who lives there - just stuff I have heard).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

shams said:

BTW - what's up with Edmonton? I hear it has the biggest "mall" in the world, but that its also one huge hole ;) Can anyone here from Canada enlighten me further? (no offense to anyone who lives there - just stuff I have heard).

Not biggest anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Edmonton_Mall 

stof said:
Must be a time zone thing. Not many Canadians want to post on message boards at 10 AM. I'm sure my canuck friends will flood this thread later in the evening.

And a question for the Aussies out there. What do you guys think of John Howard and his...um... "friendliness" with Bush?

Please - don't get me started.

The only reason Howard (i.e. Liberals) are still in power is because he is a really good politician. Never admits mistakes, good at arguing, is boring enough to not do anything "seedy" in life, etc.

In the 80's/90's, Labor pushed a "pro-Asia" policy. When the Liberals took back power, they instantly reversed this into a "Pro-US" policy - which has been around ever since.

Why it happened - I'm not so sure. There is a theory about the core of both leaderships being driven by ultra-conservative Christian policies - but there is probably more to it than this.

I do believe that Bush entered into Iraq on "false pretenses" (i.e. "Saddam tried to kill my Daddy") - and that probably Howard acted in good faith, and honestly tried to backup his "Friend & Ally" (Bush) by doing what seemed to be the right thing at the time (WMD = bad).

The problem has been that ever since all the dodgy Iraq evidence has come to light - nothing has changed. At the least Howard should have confronted Bush about what is going on. Its even possible that he might have, and knows exactly what is going on - but refuses to budge for political reasons.

The problem for Howard now, is the US is slowly starting to talk about a "phased withdrawal" from Iraq. Howard however remains completely stubborn, does not accept anything actually went wrong - and refuses to do anything about it.

Luckily all this coincides with our Federal elections (taking place around Oct? this year) - the Liberals will certainly lose power, Howard may even lose his seat - and will quite probably retire from politics completely (about time).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Around the Network

It always did seem odd that the largest mall in the world would be in Edmonton (the place even had an indoor lake with submarines!

But it's hardly a hole anymore. Alberta has been booming like crazy over the last decade, with Edmonton and Calgary growing at incredible speeds. There isn't enough labour or housing to go around. Of course its growing way too fast and is turning into an unplanned sprawl... Not sure if thats better than a hole or not. 

Shams. Go to Montreal. That's the kind of city you hope to live in one day.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

tonyb said:
shams said:

Not biggest anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Edmonton_Mall

Think you have another case of "space at the end of your link" there bud ;)

Found the Wiki page though - the place is huge. I don't know what is scarier - that it is so large, or that its NOT the biggest anymore.

Anyway - its bedtime for me ;) Goodnight all! (3:30am)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Aussie here, though I'm up very, very late (4:30 am )

Off topic
@shams - I share your sentiments about Howard to the letter. I also think liberal policies have hurt small business owners and “the little Aussie battler”. Living expenses have increased significantly over the last decade, but wages and salary have not increased in-line – and God help you if you’re shopping for a home in Sydney or Melbourne these days.

I only hope your foresight on the coming election holds true. Howard has recently gained some points back and tons of the surplus will be spent on advertising campaigns leading up to the election.

On topic
I should point out that Melbourne has been voted the world’s most liveable city on a number of occasions (other Aus cities also appear in the top ten). Vancouver consistently ties with Melbourne for top spot, and other Canadian cities are also highly rated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Most_Livable_Cities

Both are beautiful, liveable countries and I can’t wait to holiday and visit family in Canada later this year

But having grown up in Melbourne (and loving it), I could only agree with the print on our license plates: "Victoria – the place to be".

I have been to West Edmonton Mall before, it is massive. It has a theme park inside of it. I am not joking either. It is or was considered the best coaster on the planet. I was too afraid to go on it... It looked crazy insane man.

I live in Vancouver Canada, yea the climate rocks. I used to live in Winnipeg. That was a nightmare. Winter freezing cold, summer boiling hot, and mosquitos everywhere inbetween.

Vancouver isn't like that though. It is in competition for the #1 place in the world to live. We also have Universal Healthcare. Just stay away from East Vancouver, Wally, Surrey, and Gas Town. Those are the bad neighborhoods.

Canada

Vancouver consistently #2-#3 in best city to live in on the planet (Zurich i think consistently #1). so, Vancouver Canada FTW.

and the truth is, in practice, however much you hate the US, it's nice to have such a huge economy sitting right across the border. more opportunities.

the Wii is an epidemic.