By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will happen first - PS3 @ 4 million, or Wii @ 10 million?

leo-j said:
Sqrl said:
leo-j said:
RolStoppable said:

The Wii will hit 22m sold to consumers before the PS3 hits 8m?

Absolutely.

No, it wont happen even if it sells better than it is monthly, it wont even get close to the half a year mark, maybe 18 or 17million but 22million is crazy, the ps3 will hit 8m while the wii is around 14million(my prediction)

Are you standing by this leo-j? Or are you going with your 16-17m vs 8m prediction?

Because honestly, there is a very good chance the Wii could be at 14m at the end of October.

No Im not standing by this. Im going with 16-17m vs 8m ps3.

Sounds like you were over your head.

Around the Network
grimygunz said:
WiteoutKing said:
The Wii stockpiling should make 22 million before PS3's 8 million quick work. The "Big Three" coming before the end of the year should be a big help.

THe big 3 can only help the big 3 in software sales. Even is nintendo is stock pilling that meants that months leading to christmas Aug, Sept, and OCt will have lower units in stores for the Nov, Dec stock pile sales.

according to alot of predictions Wii should sell another 5million WW this year and the PS3 should sell another 2.5 million.

I predict that the PS3 will sell 8 million by end of March when MGS, GTA4, LBP, DMC, Killzone 2, Infamose, Soul Calibure 4, Tekken, Fallout 3 are Marked in for releases.

I expect about 4 of these games to be delayed into spring and summer but these games justify a PS3 purchase after christmas unlike 07 jan - mar that only saw Virtua fighter 5 and Motorstorm.

During the Same time frame The Wii only has Wiifit and Mario Kart. not that it matters until they Meet Demand better than they are currently. the 2008 line up for Wii looks weak enough to slow demand Finally, then again even bad games sell on the Wii, so Who knows.

I still don't see how the Wii sells only 5 million more consoles for the rest of the year. 

There are 5 more months in the year. The Wii has already been selling at a rate of 1 million per month. This means that you're assuming that the Wii sells at exactly the same rate now as it will for the rest of the year, which means you are assuming that Nintendo is not stockpiling at all, and that there will be no Christmas increase of any kind.

Your estimate is the absolute lowest possible estimate for the year.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

I still don't see how the Wii sells only 5 million more consoles for the rest of the year. 

There are 5 more months in the year. The Wii has already been selling at a rate of 1 million per month. This means that you're assuming that the Wii sells at exactly the same rate now as it will for the rest of the year, which means you are assuming that Nintendo is not stockpiling at all, and that there will be no Christmas increase of any kind.

Ok, but come on... 22m is crazy high. There can't be any shortages at all! Every single thing has to be perfect. The Wii would need to go freakin' crazy to get. I mean, we're talking 12m in 5 month or so. That just doesn't seem likely to me.

grandmaster192 said:
Bodhesatva said:

Ok, but come on... 22m is crazy high. There can't be any shortages at all! Every single thing has to be perfect. The Wii would need to go freakin' crazy to get. I mean, we're talking 12m in 5 month or so. That just doesn't seem likely to me.

You do realize that 22 million is the projection for the fiscal year, correct?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
You do realize that 22 million is the projection for the fiscal year, correct?

Man, I'm thinkning you meant from today-Jan 1 08

Around the Network

To be clear, Nintendo's quarterly report said 16.5 million Wiis would be shipped from April 1 2007 to March 31 2008 (the fiscal year).

Through June 30, 9.27 million had been shipped already .

5.84 million had been shipped through March 31.

Originally, Nintendo projected 14.0 million to be shipped from April 07' to March 08'.

16.5+5.87 = 22.37 million Wiis shipped by March 31, 2008 if Nintendo meets projections. I think Nintendo will beat their projections slightly, which is why I have been saying ~ 20 million sold to gamers by December 31, 2007. I suspect the March 31 2008 total will end up near 24 million (remember Wii Fit is coming in Japan this year, and it is potentially the biggest thing in the history of the industry, and Mario Kart which has huge selling power is coming to the USA in Q1 2008).

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Bodhesatva said:
grimygunz said:
WiteoutKing said:
The Wii stockpiling should make 22 million before PS3's 8 million quick work. The "Big Three" coming before the end of the year should be a big help.

THe big 3 can only help the big 3 in software sales. Even is nintendo is stock pilling that meants that months leading to christmas Aug, Sept, and OCt will have lower units in stores for the Nov, Dec stock pile sales.

according to alot of predictions Wii should sell another 5million WW this year and the PS3 should sell another 2.5 million.

I predict that the PS3 will sell 8 million by end of March when MGS, GTA4, LBP, DMC, Killzone 2, Infamose, Soul Calibure 4, Tekken, Fallout 3 are Marked in for releases.

I expect about 4 of these games to be delayed into spring and summer but these games justify a PS3 purchase after christmas unlike 07 jan - mar that only saw Virtua fighter 5 and Motorstorm.

During the Same time frame The Wii only has Wiifit and Mario Kart. not that it matters until they Meet Demand better than they are currently. the 2008 line up for Wii looks weak enough to slow demand Finally, then again even bad games sell on the Wii, so Who knows.

sorry for being a realist but if the wii is selling during regular months of the year then its like its christmas all year round. How many Extra Wii's do you think they are gunna pop out with all of a sudden. just like when they stockpile for new releases It means that they cant send as many the weeks before. They can only Sells as many as they make. Thats why i still say 5 million. If they somehow get production levels higher then thats a different factor. When i say 5 million It not that im saying demand get any lower its that is how much they average making anyhow. to say they will sell another 10 million out of nowhere would make no sense. 2 million a month for the next 5 month is un heard of. Not that im say thats what you expect but I have seen some retarded prediction that people here agree with.

TheSource said:
To be clear, Nintendo's quarterly report said 16.5 million Wiis would be shipped from April 1 2007 to March 31 2008 (the fiscal year).

Through June 30, 9.27 million had been shipped already .

5.84 million had been shipped through March 31.

Originally, Nintendo projected 14.0 million to be shipped from April 07' to March 08'.

16.5+5.87 = 22.37 million Wiis shipped by March 31, 2008 if Nintendo meets projections. I think Nintendo will beat their projections slightly, which is why I have been saying ~ 20 million sold to gamers by December 31, 2007. I suspect the March 31 2008 total will end up near 24 million (remember Wii Fit is coming in Japan this year, and it is potentially the biggest thing in the history of the industry, and Mario Kart which has huge selling power is coming to the USA in Q1 2008).

sooo let me get this straight if this is what you belive to be true and you back up you projection with fiscal numbers. from Jan 1, 2008 to March 31 2008 only 2.37 million Wii's will be sold. Thats actually more insane than other projections. you prolly dont mean it that way but also that would mean that there is No Production Problems and Nintendo is intentially holding back 1 million Wii's a month to keep the demand high until november and then they will unleash 5 million wii's.

That kinda sounded like a conspiracy theory right there.

I say they can only Sell what they can make. They need more factories to produce Wii's and fast to accomidate the prjections. 

Huh? Reread what I wrote - I said I expect Nintendo to have shipped ~20 million by the end of 2007 and beat their shipment estimate for the fiscal year. That means I expect shipments of roughly ~ 4 million Jan-March 2008 since I expect to hit 24 million units shipped (total) by March 31, 2008.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

@grimygunz,

You have to really read carefully because of the differences in shipped/sold to retail/sold to consumer. It is very easy to get confused, although I will admit that post was hard to follow. Normally TheSource is better about keeping the different data sets separated but I think he was trying to make a point involving both sets of data.

To Each Man, Responsibility