By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Mario Kart Wii become the nr 1 selling game in its first 12 months?

I will also remind people that in the poll for which game would sell most this year Mario Kart Wii finished a distant last. Many more people expected MGS4, GTAIV 360 and GTAIV PS3 to outsell it. To see it likely to end up outselling GTAIV PS360 combined is quite incredible.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I think the "online" feature of Mario Kart is the greatest thing that happened in the gaming world this year!
Deserves all the sales it can get and even more.

Master Mii Artisan 

bdbdbd said:
PredictSales1337 said:
TWRoO said:
PredictSales1337 said:
TWRoO said:

^Seems you finally read the OP.

The 1 year record holder is currently GTA:SA (at least for single platform games)
However that will be broken by Mario Kart Wii before April.... which is what this thread was about.

Oh and you don't seem to have your facts straight either, GTA:SA did not sell 12 million in 5 months, it took just under 10 months to do that.

No, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas DID sell more than 12 million units in five months, and that's a record Mario Kart Wii won't beat. And even if Mario Kart Wii miraculary hits 12 million in 12 months, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas mighty 12 million sales in 5 months will put it to shame.

You are wrong.

Check the link in the OP (as Oyv has said)

Perhaps it shipped 12 million in 5 months, but that would mean you are comparing shipped numbers to the sales figures of Mario Kart and GTAIV.

No, fact is that VGChartz is wrong, and GTA SA did not sell 12 million in one year. That’s dead wrong.

So it sold less then?

No, it sold 12 million copies in less than half a year, that crushes every game but GTA IV.

@PredictSales: But in that case it did sell 12M in a year.

Anyway, could you provide a source for your six months claim?

Now that you look at what the topic is about, you'll notice that it's about the first 12 months sales. First day/week/month/3 months/4 months/5 months/6 months sales are irrelevant for the topic.
Look, if the topic would be about which game will sell more lifetime, i don't the first six months sales would be relevant to it, and if they would, why Nintendogs have sold better than San Andreas.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:

Now that you look at what the topic is about, you'll notice that it's about the first 12 months sales. First day/week/month/3 months/4 months/5 months/6 months sales are irrelevant for the topic.
Look, if the topic would be about which game will sell more lifetime, i don't the first six months sales would be relevant to it, and if they would, why Nintendogs have sold better than San Andreas.

Nintendoogs has sold 18 million copies.

GTA Sa has sold at least 21.5. Fail.

Around the Network

@PredictSales: Let us see the sources then.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

PredictSales1337 said:
bdbdbd said:

What in the hell are you talking about?

PredictSales1337 said:
bdbdbd said:

@everyone..... predictsales is correct on one part.. GTA:SA has (across PS2+XB+PC) shipped over 21 million (and as the game is so old it has probably sold close to what it has shipped)

@PredictSales.... However you don't seem to be providing any kind of source for you 12 million in 5 months claim, although I am sure as soon as you do provide a source (preferably the original source, not some random blog) we will be able to point out how it means it shipped 12 million in 5 months (Take2 sold to retail), not sold (retail to gamers).

So as it stands, I still call bullshit on your claim.

PredictSales1337 said:
bdbdbd said:

Okay, listen up.

You can't just come in here, say lots of stupid things, and have no proof to back it up. What TWRoO has done, is to come up with some facts, and draw conclusions from those. What is appears you have done, is draw a conclusion, and then make numbers to back those up. That's just stupid.

I could just say

GTA sold 21M copies

Pokemon Gold/Red sold 33M + copies.

Fail.

But that doesn't make any sense, why would I draw those sales into a thread about the first 12 months of sales?

Also, bdbdbd is correct - Nintendogs is likely to beat GTA:SA's total sales across all platforms - heck, it's only 2M behind (19.6M, not your 18M).  

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS