By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Mario Kart Wii become the nr 1 selling game in its first 12 months?

PredictSales1337 said:

Mario Kart Wii has been out for around six months and has sold about 7 million copies, which is very good. But;

Grand Theft Auto IV sold 10 million copies in less than four months.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the King, sold more than 12 million copies in five months.

So, Mario Kart Wii doesn't hold a candle to Grand Theft Auto.

Noob or troll? Either way, if you're not even going to bother reading the previous posts then you're time here will be limited.

Around the Network
PredictSales1337 said:

Mario Kart Wii has been out for around six months and has sold about 7 million copies, which is very good. But;

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the King, sold more than 12 million copies in five months.

You do know that both MKwii and GTA4 came out the same month right? And almost the same day in the US...

Former something....

Yes, what's your point?

FishyJoe said:
PredictSales1337 said:

Noob or troll? Either way, if you're not even going to bother reading the previous posts then you're time here will be limited.

Suddenly, I am noob when I'm telling the truth? What, no it can't be. Just accept the fact.

PredictSales1337 said:

Yes, what's your point?

You said there was over a 2 month diffrence between them.

Former something....

Around the Network

No! I just said that Mario Kart Wii has sold about 7 million to date, and that Grand Theft Auto IV sold more than 10 million copies in less than four months, but now, it has probably sold more! 

It's only at 10.35M at the moment...

Former something....

Blacksaber said:
It's only at 10.35M at the moment...

Yup, but San Andreas' 6 month sales probably will crush Mario Kart Wii's 12 month sales.

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Okay, this is a very short post, so that people are actually going to read it (unlike my normal threads, this is a bit of a test).

I think it has a shot (bundled game excluded of course).

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+San+Andreas+-+PS2&reg2=All&game2=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii&reg3=All&game3=Pokemon+Gold+%2F+Silver+-+GB&weeks=52

GTA:SA sold 12.15M in its first 12 months. It holds the record as of now.

Mario Kart Wii should be able to have sold 10M by the start of 09 (probably more).

That means that it is going to need ~ 2M sales over 4 months (15 weeks). Then it would need 133K/week sales to make it. A lot, but as it would probably have sold more than 10M by the end of the year.

So, what do you think?

Oh, and Wii Fit has no change. It has 10 weeks to sell 5M (due to the early Japan launch)

Grand Theft Auto games hold the record for 24 hour sales, 1 week sales, 1 month sales, and 6 month sales. But who holds 1 year sales?

^Seems you finally read the OP.

The 1 year record holder is currently GTA:SA (at least for single platform games)
However that will be broken by Mario Kart Wii before April.... which is what this thread was about.

Oh and you don't seem to have your facts straight either, GTA:SA did not sell 12 million in 5 months, it took just under 10 months to do that.