By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Mario Kart Wii become the nr 1 selling game in its first 12 months?

Killergran said:

I really think that Mario Kart Wii has a chance.

I cannot really decide whether or not it's fair to include both versions of Grand Theft Auto IV in this discussion. On the one hand, it IS virtually the same game on both consoles, and equally viable on both. On the other hand, you have to draw the line somewhere, right? And where exactly is that? Seems in this case that the line goes between Play Station 3+Xbox 360 and Any Other Platforms... Tricky.

Thinking

Ah, nevermind, I'm fine with it.

I don't really see the point either since Guitar Hero III beat GTAIV by a country mile in combined sales. GHIII sold over 12 million in less than a year so that is really the measuring stick for combined sales and that's not even including the Aerosmith edition. Add on top of that all the DLC, merchandise and instrument sales, and it's a monster.

Of course with the releast of GH:WT, GHIII sales will fall off a cliff.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

I don't really see the point either since Guitar Hero III beat GTAIV by a country mile in combined sales. GHIII sold over 12 million in less than a year so that is really the measuring stick for combined sales and that's not even including the Aerosmith edition. Add on top of that all the DLC, merchandise and instrument sales, and it's a monster.

Of course with the releast of GH:WT, GHIII sales will fall off a cliff.

Ah good point.  If you are going to combine PS360 GTAIV sales you would also have to combine PS2/PS360/Wii Guitar Hero 3 sales. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Combined Guitar Hero III sales are at 12.41m, with one month to go.

But if we looked at that we'd have to look at GTA:SA's total first year sales. Since the xbox version would then bump up numbers, that would put it over the 12.41m. Maybe around 13m.

This is invisible text!

Killergran said:

Combined Guitar Hero III sales are at 12.41m, with one month to go.

But if we looked at that we'd have to look at GTA:SA's total first year sales. Since the xbox version would then bump up numbers, that would put it over the 12.41m. Maybe around 13m.

This is why including multiplats messes up things. Should you count first 12 months from first launch? First 12 months in each area on each console? First 12 months in each area since original launch there, regardless of console?

It just makes it impossible to be objective, as you would (subconciously) fix the way of doing it in favour of your favoured result.

And just wow, MKWii increased this week again in Others.  http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Others&reg2=Others&reg3=Others

Edit: Oh crap, I revived it. That wasn't on purpose, I thought someone else had, as it was red for me on the far left thingy.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Okay, this is a very short post, so that people are actually going to read it (unlike my normal threads, this is a bit of a test).

I think it has a shot (bundled game excluded of course).

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+San+Andreas+-+PS2®2=All&game2=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii®3=All&game3=Pokemon+Gold+%2F+Silver+-+GB&weeks=52

GTA:SA sold 12.15M in its first 12 months. It holds the record as of now.

Mario Kart Wii should be able to have sold 10M by the start of 09 (probably more).

That means that it is going to need ~ 2M sales over 4 months (15 weeks). Then it would need 133K/week sales to make it. A lot, but as it would probably have sold more than 10M by the end of the year.

So, what do you think?

Oh, and Wii Fit has no change. It has 10 weeks to sell 5M (due to the early Japan launch)

Yes Mario Kart Wii can!

Think for yourself, question authority