By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Washington Post: Nintendo Is Star of E3 Show as Rivals Scramble to Catch Up

Nintendo Star of E3. Game of The Show, Wii Fit.

Around the Network

As someone who only saw the three main conferences and only really got bad news from Nintendo, it doesn't really seem that way to me. Then again, the people who wrote that article are probably the type who would take Wii Fit over Killzone 2 and Halo 3 any day of the week.

I thought Nintendo's was better myself, I think everyone is just feeling a little sorry for Sony.

Opps, Double Post.

If you go to google news right now the three main headlines in the Sci/Tech section are

1. Where the Xbox 360 went wrong
2. New Wii controller turns your video game into workout
3. Sony to offer slimmer PSP to take on DS

I would assume that most people would be interested in reading number 2.

Around the Network

I'm glad to see people praising the Wii, I just wonder what exactly captivates them about it so as to make such judgements.

It comes down to personal perspectives ...

Sony's show executed the standard strategy Nintendo used during the N64 and Gamecube generations which was to target Core gamers and Fans of you platform; their show didn't offer much which would excite people who didn't own (or intend to own) a PS3.

As I've said before, E3 is the only time that the mainstream media pays much attention to upcomming products in the Gaming industry and Nintendo heavily targeted them. For someone who has little or no interest in gaming everything except for Wii Fit was remarkably boring and not really noteworthy...

The Mainstream press is picking Nintendo as the winner of the E3 press conference's. Each one talks about the fact that Nintendo knew investors were there listening to what they had to say and investors like to hear things that mean big dollar signs. Nintendo convinced them to invest in them and this is showing in the press. Most of the article's I read stated that Sony and Microsoft's conference's were boring as they only showed kids games(I read this exact quote on 2 press sites). The press didn't care to see this as it didn't speak to them, Wii Fit was something for everyone. The mainstream press recognized it as such and saw the potential and will now start the hype train.

As far as I'm concerned, no one had a great E3 for gamers. If you are a FPS nut... then you were well served.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

This is what Nintendo has realized ahead of its competitors -- that the general public sees even hardcore traditional videogames as kids' games. Something like Brain Age or Wii Fit is much more relevant to most peoples' lives and ambitions. Even when it comes to fun fantasy entertainment, accessible sports and music games have a broader appeal than attractive-hero-with-incredible-weaponry and RTS games. It doesn't make them better games as such, and there is still room for hardcore games on the Wii, but the Nintendo strategy is to aim at EVERYONE this generation and it seems to be working.

*waits patiently for news coverage on how WiiBoard impales people's floors*