By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (PS3) Fanboyism growing stronger ?

I think this moves very much along with current trends in the market place. Sony support on these (and other) forums is so vociferous lately because the PS3 has recently gained a lot of momentum.

However it wasn't so long ago, when the PS3 wasn't doing so hot, that these (and other...) forums were full of "the PS3 is d00med!"

That being said, I think currently the loudest group (IMO) is the PS3 fan, hands down. Which is why I often comment on the 360 forums, to show the box some love. I don't hate the PS3, it just doesn't need any more advocates here.

Around the Network
Sardauk said:

Ok guys, this a touchy thread I'm trying to set here. I'm posting daily answer to the forum and my feeling is that Fanboyism is getting stronger (and stupid) every time I come.

Question is ? By wich community (PS3/360/WII) and why is that so ? 

To avoid being a troll or considere an agitator these are some observations that I have made.

In the 'hot topic section', the splits seems like follow:

- PS3 Fanboys propaganda goes first

- 360 Fanboyism agressivity goes second

- Pratically no WII fanboyism execpt when they have to fight back.

Before being moderated (or worst banned ? ) I will do the couting in the coming days.

Your opinion ? Facts and why ?

Nothing personal here.  So I'm just pointing out that this post really fails because it makes so many pressumptions setting up a false picture.  First of all, there are fanboys in all camps in worst case scenarios.  Second fanboys boys are fanboys because of insecurities as a general, blanket statement.  But third, fanboys can still be truthful, correct because the truth is the truth regardless of its source.  During the PSOne days, N64 fanboys acted the worst.  During the PS2 days, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox fanboys acted the worst.  Go figure why because it was the insecurities of those fanboys while PSOne/PS2 fanboys can easily hide behind the runaway sales and software selection of the PSOne/PS2.  But now, we have the Wii with runaway sales and a fair selection of quality software.  So it's easy for Wii fanboys to hide behind that.  You have the PS3 being in third, but it's no doubt that it's a thorn in the side/threat to the 360's 2nd place lead.  This is why it seems that PS3 and 360 fanboys are seemingly at each others throats.  And I just want to clarify that I'm only referring to the fanboys of those consoles and not to the actual gamers.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Garcian Smith said:
The entire reason why "Wii fanboys" exist is precisely because we have to fight back.

The Wii is all about bringing all gamers - "core" and "casual," young and old, male and female, and so on - together. We're like the hippies of the gaming world - peace, love, and all that. However, sometimes even hippies have to fight back when attacked from all sides.

This almost makes me laugh as much as people who believe the whole "we won't do anything that goes against people smiling" BS that I think Iwata (my memory with names sucks.....but it's hte Nintendo CEO) said.

There are definitely Wii fanboys, and some of them are vicious just like the other fanboys......they just like to be more subtle.  Plausible deniability is the mantra of the Wii fanboy.  And no they are not as a rule all about love and peace.

Even though Nintendo is 1st this gen, there are still alot of fanboys cause...

1. Nintendo was last with the Gamecube and N64, so fans are glad now to rub in their #1 place in everyones faces.

2. Hardcore gamers that can afford an HD system (such as PC, 360, and PS3) dont care about the Wii, so Wii fanboys need to troll to get attention.

3. The Wii is marketed towards kids, families, the elderly, and casual players. And we all know how those 4 demographics like to talk trash! (j/k!)

Garcian Smith said:
The entire reason why "Wii fanboys" exist is precisely because we have to fight back.

The Wii is all about bringing all gamers - "core" and "casual," young and old, male and female, and so on - together. We're like the hippies of the gaming world - peace, love, and all that. However, sometimes even hippies have to fight back when attacked from all sides.

The Wii doesn't allow for me to play games like Ratchet & Clank Future, Ace Combat 6, Siren: Blood Curse, Beautiful Katamari, The Elder Scrolls IV, Uncharted, Blue Dragon, Folklore, etc.  Please do not get so self-righteous because this too is a sign of fanboyism.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

Fanboys are all the same be it from the sony microsoft or nintendo side all they see is there side
in my opinion they all suck, they are one of the reasons this industry is not taken very serious by the general public and i never take them serious

Sardauk said:

- Pratically no WII fanboyism execpt when they have to fight back.

????

Are you serious?

r3av3r2k1 said:
Fanboys are all the same be it from the sony microsoft or nintendo side all they see is there side
in my opinion they all suck, they are one of the reasons this industry is not taken very serious by the general public and i never take them serious

You sure about that? As one of the only industries thriving throug the US recession, I think most investors, especially, beg to differ.

Also, relentless fanboy bickering is what keeps gaming sites thriving. This is what causes most to visit the site thus helping them attract advertising dollars. Want proof? Why do you think gametrailers.com compares the 360 and ps3 versions of almost every multiplat game? Answer (if you didn't know): to attract the fanboys in droves.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

TRios_Zen said:
I think this moves very much along with current trends in the market place. Sony support on these (and other) forums is so vociferous lately because the PS3 has recently gained a lot of momentum.

However it wasn't so long ago, when the PS3 wasn't doing so hot, that these (and other...) forums were full of "the PS3 is d00med!"

That being said, I think currently the loudest group (IMO) is the PS3 fan, hands down. Which is why I often comment on the 360 forums, to show the box some love. I don't hate the PS3, it just doesn't need any more advocates here.

man, is that the truth. I think the reason PS3 fanboyism is so bad right now is because PS3 fans were getting slammed, and I mean SLAMMED for a solid year-and-a-half, and now they have something to brag about. I'm sure the ball will swing back to the 360 fanboys after sales for that console take off in the next few weeks. Wii fanboys are annoying, but they're so few and far between (like PS2 fanboys last gen) that they don't end up being as noticable.

As far as fanboy behavior goes, here are the last and current-gen corrolations from what I have seen:

PS2->Wii

GCN-->PS3

XB-->360.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

jankazimierz said:
Even though Nintendo is 1st this gen, there are still alot of fanboys cause...

1. Nintendo was last with the Gamecube and N64, so fans are glad now to rub in their #1 place in everyones faces.

2. Hardcore gamers that can afford an HD system (such as PC, 360, and PS3) dont care about the Wii, so Wii fanboys need to troll to get attention.

3. The Wii is marketed towards kids, families, the elderly, and casual players. And we all know how those 4 demographics like to talk trash! (j/k!)

1.) The N64 was second, the Saturn was last.  The Gamecube was third, The Dreamcast was last.

2.) If you're implying that there isn't hardcore gaming to be had on the Wii, ask some Wii owners on this site.  I believe they would know more than someone who doesn't own one.

3.) It's marketed toward everyone, that's the reason why it's called "Wii" or "We."  It just seems to appeal MORE to those demographics.

Pixel Art can be fun.