By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bandai-Namco - Majority of today’s software will be forgotton

akuma587 said:
I am sorry, but I have always thought that the Tales RPG's were kind of second-string RPG's. The Xenosaga series is way better.

*facepalm* that's the worst comment and most ignorant ever. 2nd string?!! I'm sorry but as an avid Tales fan i must disagree and completely prove you wrong. First is that TALES HAS BEEN OUT FOR DAYS compared to Xenosaga. It is a huge series in Japan and only now has it started to become popular in the last 5 years. Tales CAN NOT BE second string because the Tales series has been partying in SNES since 1995 and still is and the Xenogears series came at PS1.

More proof would be the fact that Tales games are STILL being made since SNES and went to PS1, PS2, 360, eventually Wii, PSP and DS. Now where is the latest xenogears/saga game? How can a second string RPG outlast a first string? Also how can a second string RPG be on more systems. 

Next topic, Namco has remade Tales games! Yes they have taken their Tales games and remade them because they were so effing good. I don't see any Xenogears/saga remakes coming along ever.

I believe Xenosaga has a anime dedicated to it. Guess what Tales does too! Tales of Eternia based off the US Tales of Destiny 2. So there we go Tales does more than Xenosaga has been out longer than xeno, has more games than xeno. Now say it again Akuma say tales is second string I dare you! (btw please don't take any offense to my post I am not angry at you but it's the fact that Tales is my favorite series, the same way as you love Disgaea, or at least is seems you do since it's your avatar.)

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

The basic premise of Namco's statements is that like much of popular entertainment, games have become too tied to their time periods, too tempo-centric. They are servicable but don't age well.

It's like TV shows. Everyone remembers the shows from the 1950s (the good ones). But what is like when you turn on Nick at Nite now and see 1980s and 1990s sitcoms -- you go "Ugh."

Games are the same way. A few will stand the test of time. Many of those classics have been sited. One thing both SMG and MGS4 have in common is that neither takes place in the here-and-now. By not locking the games into the present, they are much more memorable.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Shadowblind said:
akuma587 said:
I am sorry, but I have always thought that the Tales RPG's were kind of second-string RPG's. The Xenosaga series is way better.

Tell me which Tales games you have played.

Well, they are. Over 10 years, they've only put out three (arguably four) good Tales RPGs. And I played every one except Destiny (the first), Legendia, and Tempest.

Or was he talking second string as far as Namco Bandai? I am talking about quality.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

3 to 4 good tales? Ok we have Tales of Phantasia, than we have Tales of Eternia which imo is the pinnacle of 2d Tales. Than Symphonia well recieved, Abyss I felt was even better, and now Tales of Vesperia. Not to mention there is the sequel to Phantasia that was never released in America so I can't even make an opinion on it but it arguably coudl've been good. So more like 5 good tales arguably 6. Almost all tales games on consoles have been golden except Legendia.

The people who remember SMG may be the same people who remember SM3, are you saying that a chunk of people will forget SM3? Do you want to kill off Super Mario 3!?

Actually good games will be remembered and regardless of what people are defining as good games the "real" good games will be remembred. I know I'll always remember PS0 and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Tales > Xenosaga

This isn't really up for debate. There are opinions and then there are facts. Tales is better than Xenosaga in everyway. It is simply impossible for the franchise to be second-string to another franchise it not only predates but is far above the level of in both longevity in the industry and overall quality.

I like Xenosaga but it's quite a few tiers below Tales.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

outlawauron said:

Well, they are. Over 10 years, they've only put out three (arguably four) good Tales RPGs. And I played every one except Destiny (the first), Legendia, and Tempest.

Or was he talking second string as far as Namco Bandai? I am talking about quality.

I mean just second-string period, and I am glad someone can step back from the fact that two Tales games are being released right now and acknowledge that the franchise is relatively mediocre. 

There are just a lot of other RPG franchises out there that are way better.  Namco-Bandai even has better RPG franchises, although Xenosaga is probably toast...

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

What better franchise does namco have besides Tales and Xeno? Baten Kaitos is the only one that could be argued to be as good. Culdcept Saga doesn't look appealing to me at all.

I think we can probably count all of the Tales games except for the original and maybe Symphonia as those that are ironically destined to be among the forgotten in twenty years.

I think they are right. It doesn't mean that WE will forget MGS4, Tales or SMG. I don't think kids in 20 years will play those games. Perhaps only those that are simple like Wii Sports.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...