By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii "inhospitable platform for third-party publishers"

Million said:
c0rd said:
Million said:

Quality doesn't tend to be a huge factor in the performance of Wii games Carnival Games anyone ? the demographic is largley different from that of the traditional consoles they don't neccaserily go the the internet to look at the review scores before purchasing the game , they probably just look at the game with the most enticing box art.

I think there is a genuine problem with 3rd party success on the Wii with Nintendo's stronghold it's difficult for a 3rd party to reach the top 10 unless they have a game that really apeals to the demographic.

Really good games quality games like No more Heroes (0.34M) ,Bloom Blox (0.46M) and Okami (0.12) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like Carnival Games (2.04M) ,Mario & Sony at the Oylmpics (5.44) and Wii play(14.65M !!!). They key to selling well on the Wii is not really making intensley quality games like MGS4 or Mass Effect but simply making games which are fun and enjoyable to play , it's obvious looking at historical data that the demographic doesn't really care about review scores and quality development but are more interested than popping the disc in their Wii's and playing.

Didn't we have a problem like this for the PS2?

Really good games quality games like Viewtiful Joe(<0.2M?) ,Psychonauts (<0.1M?) and Okami (0.15) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like 50 Cent: Bulletproof (1.59M) ,Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (4.97) and Eye Toy: Play(3.86M !!!).

Just stop to think for a second, seriously.

Well I actualy have been thinking , Crash Bandicoot was actualy a pretty good game BTW. And there are plenty of quality PS2 games that have sold excellently you were just looking for examples to proove your point.

And there are no good wii games that sell well?

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:
Million said:
c0rd said:
Million said:

Quality doesn't tend to be a huge factor in the performance of Wii games Carnival Games anyone ? the demographic is largley different from that of the traditional consoles they don't neccaserily go the the internet to look at the review scores before purchasing the game , they probably just look at the game with the most enticing box art.

I think there is a genuine problem with 3rd party success on the Wii with Nintendo's stronghold it's difficult for a 3rd party to reach the top 10 unless they have a game that really apeals to the demographic.

Really good games quality games like No more Heroes (0.34M) ,Bloom Blox (0.46M) and Okami (0.12) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like Carnival Games (2.04M) ,Mario & Sony at the Oylmpics (5.44) and Wii play(14.65M !!!). They key to selling well on the Wii is not really making intensley quality games like MGS4 or Mass Effect but simply making games which are fun and enjoyable to play , it's obvious looking at historical data that the demographic doesn't really care about review scores and quality development but are more interested than popping the disc in their Wii's and playing.

Didn't we have a problem like this for the PS2?

Really good games quality games like Viewtiful Joe(<0.2M?) ,Psychonauts (<0.1M?) and Okami (0.15) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like 50 Cent: Bulletproof (1.59M) ,Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (4.97) and Eye Toy: Play(3.86M !!!).

Just stop to think for a second, seriously.

Well I actualy have been thinking , Crash Bandicoot was actualy a pretty good game BTW. And there are plenty of quality PS2 games that have sold excellently you were just looking for examples to proove your point.

And there are no good wii games that sell well?

I didn't say anything like that , if you read my post you mario boys would understand that I'm not attacking the Wii or putting it down in anyway it definetley has the potential for any developer to make alot of money from it.

Please ready my analysis properly on the last page and then get back to me.

It seems that this "analyst" looked only at opening week sales. Let's see...

OPENING WEEK

360: 709,955
PS3: 426,724
Wii: 159,235 (22.4% of 360 sales; 37.3% of PS3 sales)

WEEK 2

360: 169,679
PS3: 123,323
WII: 69,904 (41.2% of 360 sales; 56.7% of PS3 sales)

WEEK 3

360: 89,502
PS3: 48,101
WII: 40,254 (45.0% of 360 sales; 83.7% of PS3 sales)

See a trend here? The Wii numbers are showing less of a percentage drop-off than the HD console numbers each week. Therefore, hypothesis: The Wii version will continue having great legs, and likely eventually outsell the PS3 version (and maybe the 360 version) based upon higher weekly sales numbers over a long period of time.

I should get paid as much as these lazy-as-hell analysts do...

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Anyone still claiming that third-party games don't sell on the Wii is either incredibly stupid and misinformed, or deliberately spreading lies and half-truths. It's a waste of time to argue with these people. Just roll your eyes and move on.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Million said:

Crash was good?  Well according to metacritic (since we just love using metacritic), Mario & Sonic is better.

Yes, there are plenty of quality PS2 games that sold well.  Take a look at the examples you listed - MGS, FF, KH... do we see any big franchises like this on the Wii?  Actually, Resident Evil 4 (a remake) on the Wii did 1.5M.  Shouldn't that be some proof Wii users will buy games from an established IP?

The problem is, when you single out niche games (often with no advertising) like NMH, Okami, or Zack & Wiki, the fact is they would not have sold any better on any other system.  If the new Tales of Symphonia flops (it won't), or some other established IP flops, then you might have a point.  The issue is, 3rd parties haven't even been trying on the Wii.  It has nothing to do with Wii users being stupid and uneducated, they're just as "stupid" as PS2 users were.

Also, 3rd parties reaching the top 10 is meaningless.  The DS is dominated by Nintendo games, but you don't see 3rd parties whining constantly about it.

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:
I don't know how it can change really, how do you get Wii users to start buying good games in higher numbers and stop buying crap games? Almost every company looks at their release slate and their dev teams then tries to maximize profit. They look at the PS3 and 360 and see Call of Duty 2, 3, and 4 selling millions of copies between the two systems so you get Battlefield Bad Company, Army of Two, Mercenaries 2 (insert the million other FPS war games here), ect ect. They look at the sales of Assassin's Creed and GTA4 and now there are a ton of "sandbox" action games coming out in the near future for the PS3 and 360. Good sales for AAA HD games lead to more AAA HD games since its clear that the big sellers for the 360 and PS3 are almost always....AAA HD games with very few exceptions. There have been at most a handful of games that aren't AAA action games which have gone over a million sales on either the PS3 or the 360.

On the other hand when EA and the like are trying to figure out what to have their Wii teams work on, they look at the sales charts and see a different reality. In the Wiiality even AAA games like Boom Blox sell relatively little, decent selling PS2 games sell almost nothing even with great ratings (Okami) and pretty much every big seller comes from the big N. When trying to find a Wii Niche there is of course a big fat bright spot, what is that spot? Hyper casual games. They see Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Carnivale games and others with millions of sales. Those games are the AAA HD games of the Wii for 3rd parties more or less. If you want to know why the Wii wall is filled with My Poniez 2, Imagine Babiez, mini game collections and assorted other crap its the way the market is going.

This is compounded by the Wii requiring separate development. Even in the N64 days they could still port PS1 games. You could still take Resident Evil 1 and 2 and port it over to the N64 relatively easily since the N64 and PS1 were pretty close in terms of graphics and power (Nintendo had more power, Sony had more space, but it was very doable anyway). Instead today you can't just port AAA HD games from Sony and MS over to the Wii, if you want a Wii version a separate team has to make it, at best you can combine Wii production with PS2 production (ala Manhunt 2, another big selling PS series which didn't deliver on the Wii), but that doesn't bring you the same kinds of games.

The Xbox didn't sell well but it still got a lot more ports from the PS2 then the Wii, which has sold very well, is getting from the 360/PS3 because of the ease or porting. On one hand its great the Wii went the cost effective low tech route, but on the other it shuts them out of multi platform titles which means it has to prove it can sell AAA games not made by Nintendo too, or be doomed to shovelware+great Nintendo 1st party games.

Maybe the Wii fans can buy the Conduit and get everyone the know to buy the conduit to prove finally that a AAA game not made by Nintendo can sell on the platform.

As a quick asside, this lack of non Nintendo performance is exactly why Nintendo was stupid to let Rare go when they already had a 10% stake. It would have been easier for Nintendo to scoop up Rare then for MS to do it. Remember Conkers bad fur day, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo and TONS of other Rare games on the N64? Rare and its great 2nd party support really helped mitigate the problems with 3rd parties Nintendo had on the N64, Nintendo really needs a stabe of solid 2nd party developers to get the ball rolling, but they sold their best one down the river.

Imagine if instead of Wii Music being the next big thing from the Wii Nintendo had Viva Pinata and Banjo nuts and bolts coming down the pike, I think Rare alone would have greatly helped in mitigating the 3rd party problem (and unlike most 3rd party games on N64 and later Nintendo consoles, Rare games sell millions while maintaining quality).

Why do you sum up PS3 + 360 numbers here? HD fans always use this lame excuse, more so PS3 fans. I've seen many of those PS3 games being flops while 360 games being the ones to report amazing sales. If you use this logic then Madden Wii is not a flop because it is a multiplat release.

Also why name only the great hits and not the great flops, like Too Human, Lair, Haze, Stranglehold, Nascar, Bourne Conspiracy, Alone in the Dark, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Ridge Racer 6 and 7, Dead or Alive Extreme, Moto GP 06 and 07, The Club, Virtua Fighter 5, Final Fantasy XI, Conflict: Denied Ops, Amped 3, Enchanted Arms, Top Spin 2 and 3, Sega Superstar Tennis, Blacksite: Area 51, Viva Piñata: Party Animals, Eye of Judgement, Far Cry Instincts: Predator, Dinasty Warriors 6 (360), Battlestations: Midway, Call of Juarez, Gun, Chromehounds, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Overlord, Two Worlds, The Godfather, Medal of Honour Airbone, Shadowrun, Viking: Battle for Asgard, Beijing 2008, Hitman Blood Money, The Outfit, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Beautiful Katamari, Bowulf, Def Jam Icon, Tenchu Z, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Quake 4, Eternal Sonata, Clive Barker's Jericho, NHL 06 07 08, NHL 2K7 2K8, The Bigs, NBA 2K6 2K7, NBA Live 06 07, NBA Street Homecourt, The Golden Compass, Iron Man, Conan, Culdcept Saga, Fatal Inertia, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Project Sylpheed, Blazing Angels 2, Sega Rally Revo.... I can go on forever.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

@Jaos

Interested in proving my point not terribly to be honest. Mostly thanks to the reason that nobody actually listens to proof. Which begs the question why spend four hours collating data when the majority of deluded fanatics ardently ignore anything that does not match their twisted reality. You must understand a gaming zealot will never compromise their vision by one iota. When presented with hard data they will try many idiotic things to escape the grasp of reality.

Often enough they run away and hide. Try to spin semantics. Call for reinforcements. Spam the thread. Change the subject. Change who they are conversing with. Even reply with a cryptic sentence, or pretend to heartily laugh. Yes it is usually a good sign when someone quotes a fifteen paragraph post and then for a reply follows that up with a single sentence that somehow reduces that entire post to meaninglessness.

The point really is that it is wasted time. More importantly it would be my wasted time, and frankly your not worth it with all of your ninety posts. Now were you a poster with fifteen hundred posts, and not generally regarded as the village idiot. Then yes it might be a different story, because there might be a reputation I can obliterate. When you chop a giant down even if the giant pretends it did not happen dozens perhaps even hundreds of posters will take note. Not to mention use it themselves against the giant.

Anyway if you want the proof this is how I would go about obtaining it. First I would obtain a complete release list for the console. Then I would compare that list to this sites sales data. When data is not present the variable should be twenty five thousand. That is actually at the high end of what this site cannot apparently track.

Take those sales, and work out how many are under a quarter of a million units sold. Those that have sold less then a quarter million units would be flops the degree of difference represents the scale of the flop. Anything less the fifty thousand units sold is a bomb. Anything above a quarter million is a success, and anything over half a million is a major success.

The math is basic enough its just collecting all the data needed is time consuming and utterly dull. I am thinking your going to need to run over three hundred games through the system. I would also say your probably looking at a flop rate for third parties closer to eighty five to ninety percent of titles. With very few major or mass successes. With quite a resume of bombs.

This guy has it backwards. The Wii isn't hospitable to third parties; they aren't hospitable to the Wii. Put some serious effort into your Wii game development, and you will do well, and no, the "All-Play" line does not count as serious effort.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Dodece said:
@Jaos

Interested in proving my point not terribly to be honest. Mostly thanks to the reason that nobody actually listens to proof. Which begs the question why spend four hours collating data when the majority of deluded fanatics ardently ignore anything that does not match their twisted reality. You must understand a gaming zealot will never compromise their vision by one iota. When presented with hard data they will try many idiotic things to escape the grasp of reality.

You are describing yourself here.

Often enough they run away and hide. Try to spin semantics. Call for reinforcements. Spam the thread. Change the subject. Change who they are conversing with. Even reply with a cryptic sentence, or pretend to heartily laugh. Yes it is usually a good sign when someone quotes a fifteen paragraph post and then for a reply follows that up with a single sentence that somehow reduces that entire post to meaninglessness.

The point really is that it is wasted time. More importantly it would be my wasted time, and frankly your not worth it with all of your ninety posts. Now were you a poster with fifteen hundred posts, and not generally regarded as the village idiot. Then yes it might be a different story, because there might be a reputation I can obliterate. When you chop a giant down even if the giant pretends it did not happen dozens perhaps even hundreds of posters will take note. Not to mention use it themselves against the giant.

Anyway if you want the proof this is how I would go about obtaining it. First I would obtain a complete release list for the console. Then I would compare that list to this sites sales data. When data is not present the variable should be twenty five thousand. That is actually at the high end of what this site cannot apparently track.

Take those sales, and work out how many are under a quarter of a million units sold. Those that have sold less then a quarter million units would be flops the degree of difference represents the scale of the flop. Anything less the fifty thousand units sold is a bomb. Anything above a quarter million is a success, and anything over half a million is a major success.  This is the biggest amount of bullshit ever written on a forum. Maybe true for the HD's, but you would have to raise the bar for success, taking into account the massive production and advertizing costs.

The math is basic enough its just collecting all the data needed is time consuming and utterly dull. I am thinking your going to need to run over three hundred games through the system. I would also say your probably looking at a flop rate for third parties closer to eighty five to ninety percent of titles. With very few major or mass successes. With quite a resume of bombs.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Using absolute numbers to determine success or failure is a failure. Without considering the marketing and development budget or the company's expectations, you simply cannot call it a failure based on some arbitrary sales number.

For example, GTAIV selling less than 10 million might be considered a failure. Darts selling 150k might be considered a smashing success.