By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii "inhospitable platform for third-party publishers"

BTW, I noticed the first week for 09 Wii on this site is 40k ahead of the NPD figure, but the Wii version is still selling more than that first week, and is still making money for EA, so that developer is not likely thinking the Wii is bad for them. They are still making money off the game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

@dodece: So, you interested in proving any of your claims? What are the big 3rd party failures on Wii you are talking about? I've read you bitching about that several times on vgc, but I don't think you ever proved your points.

It seems quite stupid to deem Madden Wii bombing after the first week, because everyone with a brain should know by now that Wii games tend to have longer legs than the other two current gen consoles, so judge the sales after a few months, maybe even after a year.

@impulsivity: So Boom Blox is an AAA title now? That's great to know... And Okami sold decent on PS2? I've heard otherwise. o.O

Impulsivity said:
I don't know how it can change really, how do you get Wii users to start buying good games in higher numbers and stop buying crap games? Almost every company looks at their release slate and their dev teams then tries to maximize profit. They look at the PS3 and 360 and see Call of Duty 2, 3, and 4 selling millions of copies between the two systems so you get Battlefield Bad Company, Army of Two, Mercenaries 2 (insert the million other FPS war games here), ect ect. They look at the sales of Assassin's Creed and GTA4 and now there are a ton of "sandbox" action games coming out in the near future for the PS3 and 360. Good sales for AAA HD games lead to more AAA HD games since its clear that the big sellers for the 360 and PS3 are almost always....AAA HD games with very few exceptions. There have been at most a handful of games that aren't AAA action games which have gone over a million sales on either the PS3 or the 360.

On the other hand when EA and the like are trying to figure out what to have their Wii teams work on, they look at the sales charts and see a different reality. In the Wiiality even AAA games like Boom Blox sell relatively little, decent selling PS2 games sell almost nothing even with great ratings (Okami) and pretty much every big seller comes from the big N. When trying to find a Wii Niche there is of course a big fat bright spot, what is that spot? Hyper casual games. They see Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Carnivale games and others with millions of sales. Those games are the AAA HD games of the Wii for 3rd parties more or less. If you want to know why the Wii wall is filled with My Poniez 2, Imagine Babiez, mini game collections and assorted other crap its the way the market is going.

I agree on this, it is just the way free market works. Casual sells on wii -> more casual titles on wii. Good games won't sell... well, you know.

peetee said:
I don't know whether to trust NPD or VGchartz about Madden Wii Sales. VGC numbers are really good for the game, and they cover more stores. Let's wait for EA's shipment numbers before saying Madden is doing bad on Wii.

Uhm, other way around.  I like VGChartz, but ioi can't really compare market coverage with NPD.... -_-;;

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

ClaudeLv250 said:
Am I the only one that sees the irony in one troll claiming that there are "more failures than successes" on the Wii followed up by someone complaining about the success of the supposed "non-quality" Wii games? It's like every anti-Wii argument from the past two years all rolled into one thread, and the people making them don't seem to be too concerned that they are directly contradicting each other in their desperate race.

So true.

They also ignore the CEO's of companies who state that they are funding their "hd" games off of the money they have made on the Wii.

Ignorance is bliss, though.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network
Shanobi said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Am I the only one that sees the irony in one troll claiming that there are "more failures than successes" on the Wii followed up by someone complaining about the success of the supposed "non-quality" Wii games? It's like every anti-Wii argument from the past two years all rolled into one thread, and the people making them don't seem to be too concerned that they are directly contradicting each other in their desperate race.

So true.

They also ignore the CEO's of companies who state that they are funding their "hd" games off of the money they have made on the Wii.

Ignorance is bliss, though.

Noone is saying they can't make money off the Wii.  Take 2 made at least 100 million in retail sales off of Carnival games.  Given the production values 99.9 million of that was pure profit.  The point is not that noone makes money on the Wii, its that noone makes money off of good games on the Wii except Nintendo.

Don't think of "there are no successful good games on the Wii not made by Nintendo" as an insult, think of it as a call to action.  Unless the market changes and more people buy Boom Blox and less buy Carnival games, you're going to get a lot more mini games and a lot less quality titles.  

It's not about whether third parties can make money on the Wii, of course they can, its a question of HOW they will make that money.  I bet you anything take two doesn't care if it makes 100 million selling carinavle games or 100 million selling a Wii GTA, so if you want that Wii GTA buy games like it to show that the Wii will support the much higher production costs a GTA type game requires.

The power is yours!

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

7/10 HD games aren't profitable.

You didn't hear that from me....

*whistles*

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Ignorance of that guy is ridicilous, Madden 09 is the worst example , because that game will easily sell million due to the legs, i dont think he knows numbers for previous versions that started slowly but had amazing legs and this will continue with 09.

NMH (the best selling game my by Suda) and Boom Blox all sold well (thats what developers said).

Minigames, party games sell well at the Wii (but casual stuff sold insanely on PS2 as well) good games also sell and those figures will only rise.

Million said:

Quality doesn't tend to be a huge factor in the performance of Wii games Carnival Games anyone ? the demographic is largley different from that of the traditional consoles they don't neccaserily go the the internet to look at the review scores before purchasing the game , they probably just look at the game with the most enticing box art.

I think there is a genuine problem with 3rd party success on the Wii with Nintendo's stronghold it's difficult for a 3rd party to reach the top 10 unless they have a game that really apeals to the demographic.

Really good games quality games like No more Heroes (0.34M) ,Bloom Blox (0.46M) and Okami (0.12) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like Carnival Games (2.04M) ,Mario & Sony at the Oylmpics (5.44) and Wii play(14.65M !!!). They key to selling well on the Wii is not really making intensley quality games like MGS4 or Mass Effect but simply making games which are fun and enjoyable to play , it's obvious looking at historical data that the demographic doesn't really care about review scores and quality development but are more interested than popping the disc in their Wii's and playing.

Didn't we have a problem like this for the PS2?

Really good games quality games like Viewtiful Joe(<0.2M?) ,Psychonauts (<0.1M?) and Okami (0.15) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like 50 Cent: Bulletproof (1.59M) ,Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (4.97) and Eye Toy: Play(3.86M !!!).

Just stop to think for a second, seriously.

c0rd said:
Million said:

Quality doesn't tend to be a huge factor in the performance of Wii games Carnival Games anyone ? the demographic is largley different from that of the traditional consoles they don't neccaserily go the the internet to look at the review scores before purchasing the game , they probably just look at the game with the most enticing box art.

I think there is a genuine problem with 3rd party success on the Wii with Nintendo's stronghold it's difficult for a 3rd party to reach the top 10 unless they have a game that really apeals to the demographic.

Really good games quality games like No more Heroes (0.34M) ,Bloom Blox (0.46M) and Okami (0.12) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like Carnival Games (2.04M) ,Mario & Sony at the Oylmpics (5.44) and Wii play(14.65M !!!). They key to selling well on the Wii is not really making intensley quality games like MGS4 or Mass Effect but simply making games which are fun and enjoyable to play , it's obvious looking at historical data that the demographic doesn't really care about review scores and quality development but are more interested than popping the disc in their Wii's and playing.

Didn't we have a problem like this for the PS2?

Really good games quality games like Viewtiful Joe(<0.2M?) ,Psychonauts (<0.1M?) and Okami (0.15) haven't sold as well as games that realy apeal to the demographic like 50 Cent: Bulletproof (1.59M) ,Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (4.97) and Eye Toy: Play(3.86M !!!).

Just stop to think for a second, seriously.

Well I actualy have been thinking , Crash Bandicoot was actualy a pretty good game BTW. And there are plenty of quality PS2 games that have sold excellently you were just looking for examples to proove your point.