By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii "inhospitable platform for third-party publishers"

noname2200 said:
Ragnarsson said:
ToastyJaguar said:

While most HD games need to sell over a million copies to break even, Wii games have smaller budgets, so they don't need to sell as much. "Great Sales" is not a synonym for "Great Success". For example, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (the movie) made more than 400 million dollars worldwide, while Saw made approximately 100 million dollars worldwide. If you think "oh, so Prince Caspian was much more successful", you are definitely wrong: PC had a 200 million $ budget (not including advertising), and it needed more than double of that to start turning in some profit; Saw cost slightly over a million dollars to make... now do the math. 

Just a quick note: while you're right about most of your post, the average HD game only needs to sell 500k or so to break even. Of course, almost all of the HD games that people are interested in have a larger budget than average, and thus need to sell over a million, but that does not apply to the many small and mid-sized HD games (which, again, "only" have to crack 500k).

I was only thinking of the "supah-tera-big-budget" (but not always) AAA games, I should have made it clear. My bad...

N-Portugal.com - A Portuguese gaming site. Check the latest N-ews!

Around the Network

So much trolls in this thread. It's no wonder with a thread title like that. :(

Sometimes, I think it would be better if we would not put the most recently posted thread on the frontpage. It could discourage trolls like that kukarasa or something to come here.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

So, what is the point... is he saying what I think he's saying?

"Don't invest in companies that make Wii games, because they wont sell, stop investing in Madden All-Play."

Oh well, I just noticed the Wii market share went up another .2%, wasn't someone doing a.. count-up to 50%?
^_^

This is kind of off topic but; everyone seems to hate Wii Music, no one was comfortable with Wiifit, everyone mocked Wii play and just about everyone thought Wii Sports was a gimmick and that the Wii is nothing more than a fad. So I've come to the conclusion - the paradigm shift has already happened, the alleged casuals aren't buying into the games that don't have what they want.

I'm sorry but their is a difference between Mario Galaxy and Rachet and Clank, while R&C was fun it's not MG type of fun, the game types are very different in how they exude fun, Mario Galaxy seems like a Wii game but with the mario feel

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I just don't really get it.....Still the same old rite that 3rd parties don't sell on wii. There no point on arguing on that matter anymore it is been proven that 3rd parties sell just fine on wii.

But there are other issues with the 3rd parties on wii, most of the 3rd parties see nintendo as an antagonist on the videogame market, is the most profitable company on the business,the best developer so it's logical to other developers to see them as rivals. So the lack of support of quality 3rd party titles for the wii is not for this arguement that they don't sell it's because of the market share nintendo owns on the videogame market as a publisher.

Look every week at the chartz how many games nintendo sells both on Wii and DS its over 1 million gams every week in every territory,now check who comes second and their numbers of game...Thats right they sell like 200k best case if they are having a big established ip release.

Just do the math and focus on the goal that every publisher have in mind to monopolize the market. Nintendo fights in two fronts.The first is to convinse the other publisher that they don't see them competively(which is big fat lie) on software business and the other is on hardware market share with Microsoft and Sony which is the life and blood for nintendo games.

I don't really give a shit about if my console of choice gets support from Capcom,Konami,Epic because i bought my console because i play Nintendo games. The same thing can be said by someone who likes Capcom and bought a Ps3 or someone else that bought a 360 because he likes Epic and Bungie and every other software company that every gamer enjoys playing their games.

The fact is that 3rd parties was caught of guard with the success of the wii major publisher houses invested major amounts of money on technology complitely ignoring the wii and focus on Xbox and Playstation houses. It back fired with the success nintendo games had on the market(wii sports,wii fit,Super Mario,The legend of Zelda).

Now we see a turn of major focus shift on every major publisher like EA,Activision,SEGA,Namco/Bandai on the wii because it has the largest market share.Rebember what Riccitiello said about A "LOST" BET on the HD focus of his company.

This gentlemen ARE HARD COLD FACTS about the industry get used to it there is no point on arguing if 3rd party games sell on wii or not it's the market leader and it get the most attention for now on that everyone including Microsoft admitted the winner of this gen.

So trolls or fanboys of ps3 or xbox or nintendo please stop this silly debate and enjoy gaming.

Thank you, Dodece, for writing such long posts. If they were short I might actually read them, and then my head would be filled with nonsense.

P.S. I did read them. They were nonsense.

Around the Network

Resident Evil 4 and UC called. They demand a recount. =p

Show me a 3rd party game, that was good, and had decent advertising that didn't sell, then come complain.

ph4nt said:
Show me a 3rd party game, that was good, and had decent advertising that didn't sell, then come complain.

@dodece: Thank you for that post. I think it spoke for itself quite nicely.

I cannot believe this issue still stands. 3rd parties have so far thrown crap at the Wii and have been getting money in return. Name another console that has done this in the past.