By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN Rock Band 2 Review 9.0!?

Whoever said that GHIII didn't bring much to the table:

-I loved the amount of master tracks in the game, and lack of crappy covers in 1+2+80's. There were WAAAAY More master tracks.

Of course, after GH1&2 the music genre really blew up.  You went from a relatively low budget low profile developer in Harmonix to mega-giants Neversoft & Activision.  If anything this should have gave them more insentive to do even more with the game.

-Real-Life Guitar Heroes (Slash & Tom Morello) as playable characters are awesome.

For a game titled "legends of rock" I would argue that having 1 very good and 1 good guitarist in the game is pretty lacking.

-Boss battles were actually pretty fun, even though Morello was too easy...

Actually I didn't enjoy this feature at all.

Just saying, It's not like it was an expansion...

I already said maybe I was being a little harsh on the game but nowhere did I call it an "expansion".  I already explained why I said the things I did.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
|_emmiwinks said:

[...]

To your post, Its critically flawed. You compair GHWT to RB2 saying that things in RB2 were announced after GHWT announced them, completely ignoring obviously the fact that a vast majority of the things announced in GHWT were already in a game before it was announced, that game is called Rock Band.

What is going to be in Rock Band 2 that wasnt in Rock Band that was announced by GHWT first? Pressure Sensitive drums is the only thing I can think of. Harmonix stated before Rock Band came out they wanted to have a music creator, they stated before Rock Band came out they wanted Online Bands, they stated before Rock Band came out they wanted to have online band duels.

Everything, and I mean everything in GHWT was either already in RB or announced as a feature Harmonix wanted in the Rock Band platform before GHIII was released typically.

Now do something for me, promise me you will. Watch a video on Youtube of GHWT with a full band playing a song, there are at least a couple. Then watch a full band video of Rock Band 2 (plenty up now). Tell me which one is cleaner, easier to follow and easier to tell when notes are hit.

The two games are different, and frankly Rock Band is so far still the far superior game. Im sorry to the Wii owners that are so bent out of shape that their version of the first one was bad, but thats no reason to come here and try to crap on the people that bought it on HD consoles, or to smear the name of an amazing game.

I'd seriously like to have a link which specifies every single extra features from these new games and at which time each of them were announced for both games. I'm sure Neversoft Entertainment thought about the Song Creator before Harmonix did (you know, maybe the Harmonix guy lied just so he couldn't lose his face!)... Sorry man, I'm a bit suspicious on all that.

Also, full guitar customization, face, body, etc. (it doesn't seem like it, but it's pretty neat): http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36737.html?type=

And as long as I didn't see both games on my HDTV with my Home Theater system, I can't judge the UI and stuff. All I know is this: 60 FPS > 30 FPS.

GHWT wasnt announced till after Rock Band came out. During the run up to its release Harmonix announced they were going to have online bands, band duels and around that time they said they wanted to release a music creator. Im ok if you dont believe me only because I really dont want to go hunting for all the previews and interviews leading up to Rock Bands release, Im sure IGN or Game Informer or Gamespot would be good places to look.

The Guitar customization is kind of neat, but was in GHIII so not a new feature of GHWT.

I agree with 60 fps being higher then 30 fps, but for a game like these, as long as the notes dont lag (like GHIII) theres not uch use for those extra 30 fps.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

|_emmiwinks said:
SHMUPGurus said:
|_emmiwinks said:

[...]

To your post, Its critically flawed. You compair GHWT to RB2 saying that things in RB2 were announced after GHWT announced them, completely ignoring obviously the fact that a vast majority of the things announced in GHWT were already in a game before it was announced, that game is called Rock Band.

What is going to be in Rock Band 2 that wasnt in Rock Band that was announced by GHWT first? Pressure Sensitive drums is the only thing I can think of. Harmonix stated before Rock Band came out they wanted to have a music creator, they stated before Rock Band came out they wanted Online Bands, they stated before Rock Band came out they wanted to have online band duels.

Everything, and I mean everything in GHWT was either already in RB or announced as a feature Harmonix wanted in the Rock Band platform before GHIII was released typically.

Now do something for me, promise me you will. Watch a video on Youtube of GHWT with a full band playing a song, there are at least a couple. Then watch a full band video of Rock Band 2 (plenty up now). Tell me which one is cleaner, easier to follow and easier to tell when notes are hit.

The two games are different, and frankly Rock Band is so far still the far superior game. Im sorry to the Wii owners that are so bent out of shape that their version of the first one was bad, but thats no reason to come here and try to crap on the people that bought it on HD consoles, or to smear the name of an amazing game.

I'd seriously like to have a link which specifies every single extra features from these new games and at which time each of them were announced for both games. I'm sure Neversoft Entertainment thought about the Song Creator before Harmonix did (you know, maybe the Harmonix guy lied just so he couldn't lose his face!)... Sorry man, I'm a bit suspicious on all that.

Also, full guitar customization, face, body, etc. (it doesn't seem like it, but it's pretty neat): http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36737.html?type=

And as long as I didn't see both games on my HDTV with my Home Theater system, I can't judge the UI and stuff. All I know is this: 60 FPS > 30 FPS.

GHWT wasnt announced till after Rock Band came out. During the run up to its release Harmonix announced they were going to have online bands, band duels and around that time they said they wanted to release a music creator. Im ok if you dont believe me only because I really dont want to go hunting for all the previews and interviews leading up to Rock Bands release, Im sure IGN or Game Informer or Gamespot would be good places to look.

The Guitar customization is kind of neat, but was in GHIII so not a new feature of GHWT.

I agree with 60 fps being higher then 30 fps, but for a game like these, as long as the notes dont lag (like GHIII) theres not uch use for those extra 30 fps.

Uh.... dude, the instrument Customization in this game is 100x better than in GH3, and 1000x better than the ones in RB (I only have stock knowledge as of yet, as my cousin who owns rockband wasn't a DLC'er.) You get to cut your own guitar shape out and customize everything down to the knobs, decals, paints, strings (Stainless or Nickel?), finishes, and more. It's basically like making your own fantasy guitar.

Linking threads...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=41802

SHMUPGurus said:
jalsonmi said:
SHMUPGurus said:
... Yep, watch RB 2 get a better Metacritic average score than GH:World Tour... Just because IGN and all the other big review sites know about the huge confrontation between RedOctane/Neversoft and Harmonix.

I mean, hey, Harmonix give free tickets to shows, make an expansion pack to Rock Band, and keep screwing Wii owners all the time! They're so cool! =P

Were they reviewing the Wii version? No they were not. So what does that have to do with anything?

Wait, you mean it shouldn't be the same product? Nice to know! =P

No, I meant what does the now bolded part have to do with anything? The XBox reviewer reviewed an XBox 360 game. A very good XBox 360 game. The fact that the Wii version is treated like an afterthought and not given downloadable content has nothing whatsoever to do with a review for the XBox version. The Wii version's review will likely suffer for any shortcomings found in that version, but that's neither here nor there for the topic at hand.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

Around the Network
L.C.E.C. said:
|_emmiwinks said:
SHMUPGurus said:
|_emmiwinks said:

[...]

Uh.... dude, the instrument Customization in this game is 100x better than in GH3, and 1000x better than the ones in RB (I only have stock knowledge as of yet, as my cousin who owns rockband wasn't a DLC'er.) You get to cut your own guitar shape out and customize everything down to the knobs, decals, paints, strings (Stainless or Nickel?), finishes, and more. It's basically like making your own fantasy guitar.

First off I think me and SHMUPS were talking about the physical plastic guitar customization, not in game. Different pick guards and the such.

Second off, as far as I remember ( I played GHIII for a week and returned the whole thing, so didnt get very far into it so I could be very wrong here) there is no in game customization in GHIII of your guitars besides different pre-set paint schemes, so Rock Band was the first to do that too. Even it its not as in depth as what GHWT will offer.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

I don't understand the hate for Rock Band at all. I bet if Rock Band came out before Guitar Hero things would be different. Then again maybe it's because EA has a hand in RB, since people just love to hate on EA. Seriously do you people even know that GH:WT will be a different version on the Wii. There are going to be things you can do on the PS/360 versions that you can't do on that one so I fail to understand how a gimped Wii version makes Harmonix the devil.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

|_emmiwinks said:
L.C.E.C. said:
|_emmiwinks said:
SHMUPGurus said:
|_emmiwinks said:

[...]

First off I think me and SHMUPS were talking about the physical plastic guitar customization, not in game. Different pick guards and the such.

Second off, as far as I remember ( I played GHIII for a week and returned the whole thing, so didnt get very far into it so I could be very wrong here) there is no in game customization in GHIII of your guitars besides different pre-set paint schemes, so Rock Band was the first to do that too. Even it its not as in depth as what GHWT will offer.

Well, In GHIII , you bought Guitars, clothes, and finishes (like make guitar A color A, B, or C) and could just switch them out whenever you wanted.. It wasn't like "pick ANY color when you buy it" (Like in rock band, to my playing experience)", but it was at least there somewhat.