By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN Rock Band 2 Review 9.0!?

yay, perfect 10 in lasting appeal. thats all that matters to me.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

RedOctane/Neversoft, on the other hand, is having a COMPLETE change to their engine, creates a completely new guitar and drum kit (with 6 buttons). Sure, you might say it's ''copied'' and shit, but look at Harmonix trying to make their drum ''touch-sensitive'' right after that Guitar Hero: World Tour presentation this last E3, or other things like that (Beginner mode comes in mind as well). I have to say though, competition is a good thing in this market, and it seems to me that World Tour is trying to give us more of what we like here: A music editor that can double, even quadruple (and even give us the whole Rock Band 2 soundtrack while we're at it), the current number of songs available on the disk, the same Battle of the Bands style of multiplayer, some better controller-compatibility for Wii/360 (maybe PS3) owners at some extent (huge selling point here), NO TIMED-EXCLUSIVITY, etc. Too bad reviewers might not see it that way though, since it's not Harmonix. >_>

Harmonix might have recreated the whole genre, but never forget that without RedOctane, there wouldn't have been Guitar Hero in the first place. Harmonix doesn't seem to know where they want to go with all this rythm game genre. I have to admit though, I'll be playing Rock Band 2 one way or the other because my brother is getting both games anyway...! o_o

.....Do you realize that Harmonix was the company that made Guitar Hero, and the underlying games that led to Guitar Hero (Amplitude & Frequency)?I know RedOctane came to them to pitch parts of the idea, but Harmonix was still the spearhead of GH.

Harmonix knows exactly where they want this to go. They sold the rights to Neversoft which whored out the series thanks to Activision. GH3 sucked and had nothing new in it, whereas Rock Band was the next logical step in where rhytmn games needed to go - Why didn't RedOctane/Neversoft do the whole World Tour thing with #3 instead of wait another year?

Either way, Rock Band is the superior series. This is like comparing Saints Row to Grand Theft Auto when we're talking about full band implementation - Rock Band has #2 out before Guitar Hero even does #1. RB is a phenominal game, and I don't "get" why people would be upset at a 9.0 rating (however, it is Goldstien, which I can understand the hatred of).

Once I get RB 2, I will have around 175 songs available to play on my X360. That's all the while Activision/Neversoft screw Guitar Hero >3 owners by allowing almost 0% cross-compatability. Outside of the guitars, all that cash was flushed down the toilet, while 100% of every dollar I spent on Rock Band 1 works with Rock Band 2 products.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Ok this guys give this game a 9.0 when it hasnt done much else than the 1st.
Yet hes the type of guy who bashes Wii games for being too similiar to GC games. I mainly have a problem with Hilarys reviews.

I dont think this game deserves a 9.0 thats all I said. Some of you here wanna argue the your asses off for no damn reason.

When it comes to the games alot of the announcements including the gameplay and instruments was announced for GH:WT before RB2 was even officially announced.
Im against RB and Harmonix because of the BS port they gave to Wii. They release RB1 on Wii and 2 weeks later they annouce a sequel. wtf!? And GH:WT was announced before RB2 yet RB2 still comes out before GH:WT and adds alot of the stuff Gh:Wt said they had before it. RB2 is more like RB 1.5 and was quick to come out in fear of GH:WT. At the very least that what I think.

This thread got completly off track. I just simply gave my opinion and some of you wanted to argue with me which is why I havent posted till now and pretty soon I'll ask a Mod to lock this damn thread if it goes on.

jasonnc80 said:
SHMUPGurus said:
jasonnc80 said:

A lot of the arguments you use against Harmonix SHMUP you can turn around you and say the exact same thing to Activision.  You derided Harmonix for needing a "kick in the pants" but I would say Neversoft needed one just as badly after the lazy cash-ins of the Guitar Hero franchise that were both GH:3 and GH:Aerosmith.  You condemn Harmonix for "copying" the GH:WT drums and DLC for the Wii, but write-off any similarities that Activision has taken with their product.  You play up the "music generator" but totally ignore the continuing weekly commitment to bring worthwhile content to RB owners.  Content that is priced the most competitive on the market thus far.  This isn't a personal attack but it seems your argument rests more on emotion of the developer than the content that it brings.

Well, seriously here, how can you say Guitar Hero 3 was a quick cash-in? It was the next-gen sequel to the Guitar Hero series, meaning it was much needed to bring another one out during the beginning of the generation. I have to agree though, Aerosmith was money made easily, but I'd rather pay $60 for 41 songs than 41 songs ranging from an average $2 each. Besides, you know what you're getting into with Aerosmith, Aerosmith songs, and if you don't like the band, don't buy the game. o_o

Also, about your second point, I did say that competition was much needed, and also said that it seems to me that World Tour is going to offer as much as Rock Band, but with a little bit more things that I prefer compared to the RB games. First thing to point out is the difficulty with the Guitar (Bass is even worse), which is definitely not up there in Rock Band. Second thing to point out, the song creator, which is a cool little extra that can upgrade your playtime up a superior notch. Don't forget to add as well exclusive FULL albums for World Tour.

And yes, I seriously have a grudge against Harmonix for their insolence toward their ''other'' customers, and this guy needs to die FAST:

Stupid arrogant b@stard! >_<

*EDIT: To say something about your edit, please refer to my second paragraph. It was much needed.

I was maybe harsh about Guitar Hero 3 being a cash-in but in all fairness it didn't seem to bring a lot to the table as far as innovation over the "last gen" games.  That was mainly my point....that both parties to some extent could be guilty of the same thing.  Trying to criticise one while ignoring the other just seemed a little unfair to me. I don't unjustly hate one or the other (check my gamerscore I've played them all quite a bit including GH1 at my brother-in-laws) I was just trying to stick up a little for what I felt was some unworthy criticism.  It wasn't totally directed at you either, it seems a lot of people in the thread just wanted to jump to conclusions before getting a hands-on themselves.

Oh man, don't get me wrong. I might be a bit too critical here myself, but once I'll get to play both games, my judgment on which ''version'' is better is going to be pretty obvious (avatar and sig change maybe, hehe).

But hey, we're on the Interwebs, and this is a video game forums, so we can expect things like that (and some unneccessary discussions if you want my opinion!!). =P

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Valkyria00 said:
Ok this guys give this game a 9.0 when it hasnt done much else than the 1st.
Yet hes the type of guy who bashes Wii games for being too similiar to GC games. I mainly have a problem with Hilarys reviews.

I dont think this game deserves a 9.0 thats all I said. Some of you here wanna argue the your asses off for no damn reason.

When it comes to the games alot of the announcements including the gameplay and instruments was announced for GH:WT before RB2 was even officially announced.
Im against RB and Harmonix because of the BS port they gave to Wii. They release RB1 on Wii and 2 weeks later they annouce a sequel. wtf!? And GH:WT was announced before RB2 yet RB2 still comes out before GH:WT and adds alot of the stuff Gh:Wt said they had before it. RB2 is more like RB 1.5 and was quick to come out in fear of GH:WT. At the very least that what I think.

This thread got completly off track. I just simply gave my opinion and some of you wanted to argue with me which is why I havent posted till now and pretty soon I'll ask a Mod to lock this damn thread if it goes on.

So we're just supposed to take your opinion and move on?  Glad I could get this straight

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

The lack of vocals is definitely a point we can argue about here. It is obvious that if Harmonix comes out with a song creator, both developers will definitely be fighting to find a way to make it possible in their future games. When you think about it though, you wouldn't want to listen to a 10 years old girl singing in a mic with breath sounds all the time, would you? ;)

What I meant with Harmonix doesn't know where to go with the rythm game genre is that they needed a serious threat to move their act together, especially with the Wii DLC (yes, again, because there are Wii-only owners on the planet). I wonder what Rock Band 2 would have been if RedOctane/Neversoft would have just shut up the whole time until a month before the release. I'm sure it would have been quite a show...!

I wouldn't want to even download a track made by a 10 year old girl.  The potential is limited without vocals.  Gonna be neat, but gonna be limited.  Indie bands could have really gotten their stuff out there.

SHMUPGurus said:
jasonnc80 said:
SHMUPGurus said:
jasonnc80 said:

A lot of the arguments you use against Harmonix SHMUP you can turn around you and say the exact same thing to Activision.  You derided Harmonix for needing a "kick in the pants" but I would say Neversoft needed one just as badly after the lazy cash-ins of the Guitar Hero franchise that were both GH:3 and GH:Aerosmith.  You condemn Harmonix for "copying" the GH:WT drums and DLC for the Wii, but write-off any similarities that Activision has taken with their product.  You play up the "music generator" but totally ignore the continuing weekly commitment to bring worthwhile content to RB owners.  Content that is priced the most competitive on the market thus far.  This isn't a personal attack but it seems your argument rests more on emotion of the developer than the content that it brings.

Well, seriously here, how can you say Guitar Hero 3 was a quick cash-in? It was the next-gen sequel to the Guitar Hero series, meaning it was much needed to bring another one out during the beginning of the generation. I have to agree though, Aerosmith was money made easily, but I'd rather pay $60 for 41 songs than 41 songs ranging from an average $2 each. Besides, you know what you're getting into with Aerosmith, Aerosmith songs, and if you don't like the band, don't buy the game. o_o

Also, about your second point, I did say that competition was much needed, and also said that it seems to me that World Tour is going to offer as much as Rock Band, but with a little bit more things that I prefer compared to the RB games. First thing to point out is the difficulty with the Guitar (Bass is even worse), which is definitely not up there in Rock Band. Second thing to point out, the song creator, which is a cool little extra that can upgrade your playtime up a superior notch. Don't forget to add as well exclusive FULL albums for World Tour.

And yes, I seriously have a grudge against Harmonix for their insolence toward their ''other'' customers, and this guy needs to die FAST:

Stupid arrogant b@stard! >_<

*EDIT: To say something about your edit, please refer to my second paragraph. It was much needed.

I was maybe harsh about Guitar Hero 3 being a cash-in but in all fairness it didn't seem to bring a lot to the table as far as innovation over the "last gen" games.  That was mainly my point....that both parties to some extent could be guilty of the same thing.  Trying to criticise one while ignoring the other just seemed a little unfair to me. I don't unjustly hate one or the other (check my gamerscore I've played them all quite a bit including GH1 at my brother-in-laws) I was just trying to stick up a little for what I felt was some unworthy criticism.  It wasn't totally directed at you either, it seems a lot of people in the thread just wanted to jump to conclusions before getting a hands-on themselves.

Oh man, don't get me wrong. I might be a bit too critical here myself, but once I'll get to play both games, my judgment on which ''version'' is better is going to be pretty obvious (avatar and sig change maybe, hehe).

But hey, were on the Interwebs, and this is a video game forums, so we can expect things like that (and some unneccessary discussions if you want my opinion!!). =P

Haha, opinons are all well and good.  I like discussing and hearing opinions of others here on games.  It's caused me to buy a few games I normally wouldn't have....like Too Human for instance.  I look forward to hearing yours and others thoughts on the games when they come out. 

The only time it's annoying (again not directed at you) is when people like to just crap on something without having a real basis behind it.  Or to do so just because of insecurities because of the platform it's on. But you gotta expect that from multiplatform forums which is usually why I tend to stay away from them =/

Completed X360:
JaggedSac said:
SHMUPGurus said:

The lack of vocals is definitely a point we can argue about here. It is obvious that if Harmonix comes out with a song creator, both developers will definitely be fighting to find a way to make it possible in their future games. When you think about it though, you wouldn't want to listen to a 10 years old girl singing in a mic with breath sounds all the time, would you? ;)

What I meant with Harmonix doesn't know where to go with the rythm game genre is that they needed a serious threat to move their act together, especially with the Wii DLC (yes, again, because there are Wii-only owners on the planet). I wonder what Rock Band 2 would have been if RedOctane/Neversoft would have just shut up the whole time until a month before the release. I'm sure it would have been quite a show...!

I wouldn't want to even download a track made by a 10 year old girl.  The potential is limited without vocals.  Gonna be neat, but gonna be limited.  Indie bands could have really gotten their stuff out there.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Like I said before, I'm for the competition here, and I hope Harmonix is going to try to come up with a song creator as well so Neversoft Entertainment can get a ''kick in the butt'' and can try to innovate even more on the idea (same for Harmonix).

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:
JaggedSac said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Like I said before, I'm for the competition here, and I hope Harmonix is going to try to come up with a song creator as well so Neversoft Entertainment can get a ''kick in the butt'' and can try to innovate even more on the idea (same for Harmonix).

I remember somebody from Harmonix said they would like to go the song creation route but wouldn't have it in this game because in their words "wanted to do it right".  Of course this came after Neversoft revealed one would be shipping with GH:WT

Completed X360:

Guitar Hero 3 did feel more soulless to me than Guitar Hero 2 and especially Guitar Hero 1.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson