By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Well I think I'm going to buy Disgaea 3 today.

What new mechanics were added in the third one?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

From what I read, the major additions were that geo symbols are now geo cubes and can be stacked. I'm not exactly sure how that fits into gameplay, but I'm sure it will rewrite your Disgaea strategies in some way. Some new classes were added also, including the Prism Rangers.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

The_vagabond7 said:

I wasn't really sold on it, figured I'd just wait because there are so many awesome games coming out. But then I saw a penguin dual weilding swords. Ill get my coat. EB opens at 10:00.

The penguins always duel wield.

Disgaea games are pretty decent.  Story rules.  Gameplay... is ok.  Can get a little grind intensive.

There is no permanent penalty for chars dieing unless they all die.  Infact the Penguins are most effective sometimes when you throw them!

Soriku said:
darthdevidem01 said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Wow, it kicks more ass than I expected. I've only been through the first three tutorial stages fighting that hispanic goblin things, and it's showing quite a bit of depth. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this. I love games that are so micromanagement intensive that you spend just as much time in menus setting up your characters as you do fighting. Anybody remember Ogre Battle 64? That kicked ass, somebody needs to make a new one of those. But till then I will be putting alot into this. It will definately hold me over until LBP and the onslaught of holiday titles.

glad to see you enjoying the SONY Playstation 3 Computer Entertainment System...

lol?

Disgaea 3 looks like the best PS3 game out (in NA, otherwise I would've said Valkyria) right now. I think I should (really) get into the Disgaea series. The DS is gettng a remake of the first one...should I invest in it?

As someone who has to wait on their parents to get them games and often needs to replay them.  There are few better games to invest in.

The replay value is huuuge.  Well.... play value actually.  The characters go up to level 9999.

pearljammer said:
akuma587 said:
Grrrr, I am still playing Disgaea 2. It will be a bit longer before I get Disgaea 3. But the game is absolutely worth it based on my experiences with the first two. Disgaea is arguably the best SRPG series out there.

I think so. It's my favourite series anyhow.

I would definately recommend playing Disgaea 1 as well. It's THE best SRPG out there.

IMHO, best srpg series is Fire Emblem. The best srpg is Final Fantasy Tactics, and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is the second best srpg ever made.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
pearljammer said:
akuma587 said:
Grrrr, I am still playing Disgaea 2. It will be a bit longer before I get Disgaea 3. But the game is absolutely worth it based on my experiences with the first two. Disgaea is arguably the best SRPG series out there.

I think so. It's my favourite series anyhow.

I would definately recommend playing Disgaea 1 as well. It's THE best SRPG out there.

IMHO, best srpg series is Fire Emblem. The best srpg is Final Fantasy Tactics, and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is the second best srpg ever made.

To be honest, I'd find it very difficult to disagree with you. So I won't. All of those games/series are fantastic. I guess it's just the humour/story that gets me with this game.

Have you played Jeanne D'Arc? If so, how do you find it ranks with the rest?

Onyxmeth said:
akuma587 said:

From what I read, the major additions were that geo symbols are now geo cubes and can be stacked. I'm not exactly sure how that fits into gameplay, but I'm sure it will rewrite your Disgaea strategies in some way. Some new classes were added also, including the Prism Rangers.

Read the review on VGC, dood. It explains the geo machanics to some extent.

I'm going Ogre series for best SRPG series for what it's worth.

Tactics Ogre is the formula in which games like Disgaea and FFT are based off of. and I still thing TO did it better gameplay wise. (The orginal not the GBA game.)

While the Ogre Battle games just do things in a great and unconventional way.

The Fire Emblem games will be hard to beat, but I have ordered disgaea 3 and the DS version of 1.

@ Soriku
30-40 hours is what I remember for the series on average.