By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Finally... Some H3 footage we can actually judge the game by

naznatips said:

You know, because that trailer moved so fast I really couldn't tell how good the graphics were, but these excede Killzone's.  Some comparisons:

The foliage especially is impressive in Halo.  Greenery is one of the most difficult things to render, and it's gorgeous in that Halo 3 shot.  I also prefer the colorful art style of Halo.  Generic blacks and greys are overused in modern shooters.  I much prefer things like Metroid Prime and Halo with lots of vibrant colorful environments.  Both games look great, and I was certainly more impressed with Killzone at first, but looking back I'm stunned by Halo 3.

Well in motion its a completely different story isnt it naz? you act as if killzone has already shown how good it will look at the end, but lair in just a couple of months looked better than the cgi  trailors. And why do you compare a the best halo 3 image with the worst kilzone image? Well there arent really that much screenchots so its that makes it acceptable.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
naznatips said:

You know, because that trailer moved so fast I really couldn't tell how good the graphics were, but these excede Killzone's. Some comparisons:

The foliage especially is impressive in Halo. Greenery is one of the most difficult things to render, and it's gorgeous in that Halo 3 shot. I also prefer the colorful art style of Halo. Generic blacks and greys are overused in modern shooters. I much prefer things like Metroid Prime and Halo with lots of vibrant colorful environments. Both games look great, and I was certainly more impressed with Killzone at first, but looking back I'm stunned by Halo 3.

Well in motion its a completely different story isnt it naz? you act as if killzone has already shown how good it will look at the end, but lair in just a couple of months looked better than the cgi trailors. And why do you compare a the best halo 3 image with the worst kilzone image? Well there arent really that much screenchots so its that makes it acceptable.

Why are you attacking me for expressing my opinion? I never said Killzone 2 looked bad (or anything close). I got the Killzone pic of IGN and the Halo pic off this topic. I certainly don't have a preference for the 360 over the PS3, so I don't see why you would assume I'm trying to sabotage it. Anyone on this forum will tell you I don't own either of them yet. As far as in motion goes Halo 3's trailer was a horribly made assortment of 2-3 second scenes, never letting you get a feel for how it looked in motion. I just said IMO I currently prefer Halo 3's graphics to Killzones. Also, the lighting effects in Killzone 2 remain the best I've ever seen. I'm not knocking the game, just expressing my opinion. Don't get so defensive, not everyone shares your preferences. Why is it I'm suddenly being attacked for having an opinion about the visuals of a couple of games...

Anyway, you are probably right ckmlb, my preferences are probably mostly weighed by the bright and colorful artwork of Halo more than individual effects. 

The killzone shot looks like it was just taken off one those small Flash video's they have on youtube or something, while the Halo shot looks like it was taken at a crazy high resoulution and improved using some Photo tools, But the KZ shot does look really bad, the textures are just god awful compared to the halo shot, lets hope they fix that up in the next 8months before the game comes out.

ckmlb said:
Call of Duty looks so much better than Halo 3. So do Gears, Unreal, Killzone, Mass Effect and so on...

Still looks great.

I think Mass Effect may look nicer, but otherwise I disagree. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Call of Duty looks so much better than Halo 3. So do Gears, Unreal, Killzone, Mass Effect and so on...

Still looks great.

I think Mass Effect may look nicer, but otherwise I disagree. 

Heres some in-game of Mass Effect, which reminds me of some space RPG's on the PC years ago. I'm a graphics whore, but this does absolutely nothing for me.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21499.html

The graphics aren't bad, just nothing special. Either this has a low budget, unskilled devs, or it's in a very very early stage of development.

Perhaps I'm missing some other video that has impressed upon some of you it's amazing graphics, if so please direct me to it, becuase I'm at a loss as to why you would list this game as having great graphics.

Around the Network

I have to say halo 3 is a visually impressive game. I agree with naz in that I think it looks better than killzone. I really don't like the dirty brown look of killzone. Of course that doesn't take away the fact that the first two halo games were slow and uninteresting, but the trailer definitely looked pretty.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

ckmlb said:
naznatips said:

You know, because that trailer moved so fast I really couldn't tell how good the graphics were, but these excede Killzone's. Some comparisons:

The foliage especially is impressive in Halo. Greenery is one of the most difficult things to render, and it's gorgeous in that Halo 3 shot. I also prefer the colorful art style of Halo. Generic blacks and greys are overused in modern shooters. I much prefer things like Metroid Prime and Halo with lots of vibrant colorful environments. Both games look great, and I was certainly more impressed with Killzone at first, but looking back I'm stunned by Halo 3.

All your preferences were based on the art direction not the graphics.

Graphically Killzone looks better and it's still far away from release.

So far every single gaming reporter has made a bigger deal out of Killzone than Halo 3 this E3.

Isn't that what determines great graphics? If the artist isn't that good the graphics won't look like much. Halo is a fantasy/sci-fi shooter while Killzone is a military shooter. I think we should compare Killzone to something like COD4 more than Halo. 

Also as far as Mass Effect goes I think people goggle over the graphics because of the scale of the game. That game is supposed to be huge and if they can keep the game running smooth with those graphics that is a great feat.

All in all I think Halo 3 will move units like it was free and Killzone will match or surpass the CG demo. The thing is it won't be a big deal because that's what's expected of them. Anything less will be failure.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

naznatips said:

The foliage especially is impressive in Halo.  Greenery is one of the most difficult things to render, and it's gorgeous in that Halo 3 shot.  I also prefer the colorful art style of Halo.  Generic blacks and greys are overused in modern shooters.  I much prefer things like Metroid Prime and Halo with lots of vibrant colorful environments.  Both games look great, and I was certainly more impressed with Killzone at first, but looking back I'm stunned by Halo 3.

A lot of you don't seem to realize that it's far easier to make something dark, dreary, and full of greys look better than the same image in crisp lines and full of color. The darks draw your eyes around make a dynamic look where there really isn't anything. It's much tougher to utilize color and wide-open shots and make them look just as good. As an illustrator for years, I used this trick so many times it's ridiculous.

Halo 3, by nature, is not going to stack up as well visually to games like Killzone, Gears, and CoD4 because those games basically "cheat" by muddling backgrounds with greys and blacks, which look dynamic to the eye until you really examine them closely. Then look at Halo 3's greenery. That is a graphical feat by itself that none of the other games are using (though CoD4 probably will and everything in that game is modelled wonderfully).

Though I do agree that H3's animations on the characters seem a little stiff. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

That trailer didn't impress me that much. I notice a couple of problems with it, one was when the human attacked the alien. The animation of that wasn't smooth at all and was actually kind of poor. The rest of the trailer didn't really show anything and was poorly put together.

PS3owner said:
The killzone shot looks like it was just taken off one those small Flash video's they have on youtube or something, while the Halo shot looks like it was taken at a crazy high resoulution and improved using some Photo tools, But the KZ shot does look really bad, the textures are just god awful compared to the halo shot, lets hope they fix that up in the next 8months before the game comes out.

Bungie claimed that the original screenie they released hadn't been touched one bit. These look about the same.

Got any evidence to show they 'chopped these images?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/