By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official August NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 pm EST, 3.5 hours from post 1)

DMeisterJ said:
So where are all the "Madden Wii will outsell Madden 360" people?

The same place all the PS3>360 people are. Trying to come up with damage control and excuses.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
PS3 had shortages.
x360 had pricecut for 20GB model.

x360 did ONLY 10k better? This is the end for x360. =)

p.s. Wii is dying by a little.))

The 360 had a price cut coming, so people held off from buying it. The PS3 had supply shortages? Comments?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Top10:
01.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.000.000 [1.000.000]
02.) PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643.000 [643.000]
03.) PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 424.500 [424.500]
04.) WII WII FIT 394.900 [1.827.900]
05.) WII MARIO KART 328.700 [2.737.700]
06.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 200.200 [6.608.700]
07.) 360 SOUL CALIBUR IV 174.000 [392.900]
08.) 360 TOO HUMAN 168.200 [168.200]
09.) WII MADDEN NFL 09 115.800 [115.800]
10.) NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR 111.200 [843.200]
-
xx.) PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV 107.200 [107.200]
xx.) PSP MADDEN NFL 09 32.500 [32.500]

All Format:
Madden NFL 09: 2.300.000 [84.200 NDS + XBX]
Soul Calibur IV: 281.200
GTA IV: 89.000

It will be interesting to see if Wii Fit can pass GTAIV 360 before the end of the year in the US. I think it's possible if they stockpile enough for the holidays.

mrstickball said:
azrm2k said:
Saying the Wii won't be like the PS2 is a valid enough prediction. However basing that off of Madden sales is not. The Wii demographic isn't the key target for Madden fans and most Madden enthusiasts that play every year competitively will keep sticking to the HD consoles instead of going to the Wii SKU which has a completely different control scheme they'd have to get used to.

The PS2 was dominant but not all genres thrived best there. It was the console of choice for Madden gamers last generation but shooter games still reigned supreme on Xbox. Likewise this generation even if other gamers flock to the Wii Madden will never be as popular on the Wii as it is on the HD consoles, at least not to the traditional Madden gamers you see on Madden Nation.

But it proves the Wii demographic is nothing like the PS2's. It's not entirely about sticking to HD consoles. If that was the case, the PS2 version wouldn't of sold 4 times that of the Wii. I don't buy the "they won't buy it for the Wii due to new control scheme" - Have you played Madden? Control schemes are different each year, as EA adds a bunch of stuff, and mixes up a decent bit of controls for each Madden.

The PS2 *was* dominant in every category - Go back and look at shooters - Just because the Xbox excelled there doesn't mean the Playstation 2 did bad there.

http://vgchartz.com/ayearly.php?year=2004&console=&maker=

What does VGC say the top PS2 games of 2004 were? Grand Theft: SA (Shooter), MGS3 (shooter), Call of Duty (shooter) and so on. There are quite a few PS2 shooters on that list that did fairly well.

The fact is, the Playstation 2 had virtually every demographic. The Wii does not. The Wii doesn't have the hardcore/core demographic of males ages 16-30 like the PS2 had that buy shooters, sports games, and the like. The Wii still has the time and chance to either grow up their users into buying games like Madden, and/or acquire said players due to it's North American dominance, but Madden and it's ilk continue to show that the Wii's target demo is similar to the DS, at least in NOrth America.

The PS2 has every demographic... when all was said and done.  It's first year was horrid.  It took a long time to build up that library and it wasn't always rosy.  Madden 09's inability to sell on Wii (at least in it's first month) stems from two problems, both from EA.

1. The "All-Play" Purpose branding, effectively making the game out to be some kind of "Sub-Game" or at the very least "different" from "Regular" Madden.

2. EA's decision to basically only market the 360 version via Walmart and such.

This would be a problem for Nintendo... if Nintendo weren't ahead of everybody and making cash hand over fist.  If EA wants to cater to the 360 and PS3 owners and the HD press, even while they post losses or miniscule profits, that's their choice.

I think what's gone unnoticed here is that Madden, once the champion of the casual gamer, the beating, straight-laced heart of the PS2, has become a hardcore game, what with Midnight launches and super special deluxe 20th anniversary editions, and the commercials showing dumpy fat white guys. (target market, eh?)

To say that Madden's sales "show the demographics" of the Wii is slipshod logic that can easily be disproven with the DS.  Madden sells terribly there too.  But I'm not about to challenge the DS's "demographics" and say they don't have any 16-30 males who own it.  (This number range gets smaller each time, which is weird.  Apparently once you turn 30 you turn in your gamer credentials and any gameplaying after that is considered "uncool" for you to do.)  And Because of this, you cannot make the same assertion about the Wii, because 16-30 males do own it and when the Wii just contines to barn-burn it's way through a historical third mostly sold-out holiday straight, the potential market for 16-30 males on the Wii will become larger than MS's.  Just like how the PSP is directly advertised to 16-30 males, despite the DS actually having more of them and everybody else too.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
DMeisterJ said:
So where are all the "Madden Wii will outsell Madden 360" people?

The same place all the PS3>360 people are. Trying to come up with damage control and excuses.

Clever comeback. Now if you could actually cite posts of people who claimed that, I would have a small shred of respect for that post (proven joke fanboys don't count, by the way).

Madden has kind of pigeon holed itself into no growth, because it only serves a very specific audience. Even though the Wii sales weren't great, something has to be done to get new people onboard otherwise the sales will remain the same year after year. I'm not saying that's horrible, but some growth is better than no growth.

Kenology said:
colonelstubbs said:
Lets face it, the only sports game wii fans like is in fact....wii sports.

How do you know that?

I'd say we know the opposite... afterall the Olympics are sports.

DMeisterJ said:
Viper1 said:
Chrizum said:
How big are the chances NPD got the Madden sales wrong and VGChartz got them right?

Big.  NPD doesn't track Wal-Mart or Toys R Us which have a far larger sales portion of Wii and Wii games sales than the HD consoles do.

I've seen advertisements for huge Toys R Us Wii console shipments and VGC would show a visibly sizable effect on the sales while NPD looked as though it wasn't accounted for at all.

Does VGC track Wal-Mart/ TRU?

To my knowledge, yes.

FilaBrasileiro said:

I disagree.
Also, let's remember that if VGChartz numbers are right and if VGChartz tracks walmart and TRU and vgchartz Wiii Madden is actually the correct number, then how do you explain PS2, PS3 and 360 being undertracked by VGChartz when compared to NPD?

Also Walmart has just a large section for the Wii as they do for the PS3, PS2 and 360, I don't know about TRU but I assume they have a nice sizeable section for all other consoles as well.

A. Being undertrackd by 3-11% is not the same as an overtrack of 133%.   5% alone is typical range for margin of error.

B. Fila, it's not about how large the shelf space is but the volume they sell overall as a percentage compared to the NPD tracked stores like Gamestop.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Wow.... so much over some sports games.... I love reading these kind of debates.....

4 ≈ One