By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official August NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 pm EST, 3.5 hours from post 1)

Soriku said:
CrazzyMan said:
PS3 had shortages.
x360 had pricecut for 20GB model.

x360 did ONLY 10k better? This is the end for x360. =)

p.s. Wii is dying by a little.))

lol first damage control by Crazzy! =))

I can spin that... The X360 outsold the PS3 even with a leaked price-cut coming next months. That is the end for PS3. :D

Nahhh just kidding. Both consoles are pretty even. Next month will be nice to see after the pricecut.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
FreeTalkLive said:
psrock said:
FreeTalkLive said:
colonelstubbs said:
Kenology said:
colonelstubbs said:
Lets face it, the only sports game wii fans like is in fact....wii sports.

How do you know that?

Because multiplatform sports games always sell far less on the wii than on the HD consoles. Despite the huge userbase difference

Unless they are tennis, golf, or football games.

Footbal?

Football as in Madden 08.

I never knew Madden 08 wii outsold the HD version. I'd bet it didnt even outsell the ps2 version.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Viper1 said:
Chrizum said:
How big are the chances NPD got the Madden sales wrong and VGChartz got them right?

Big. NPD doesn't track Wal-Mart or Toys R Us which have a far larger sales portion of Wii and Wii games sales than the HD consoles do.

I've seen advertisements for huge Toys R Us Wii console shipments and VGC would show a visibly sizable effect on the sales while NPD looked as though it wasn't accounted for at all.

I disagree.
Also, let's remember that if VGChartz numbers are right and if VGChartz tracks walmart and TRU and vgchartz Wiii Madden is actually the correct number, then how do you explain PS2, PS3 and 360 being undertracked by VGChartz when compared to NPD?

Also Walmart has just a large section for the Wii as they do for the PS3, PS2 and 360, I don't know about TRU but I assume they have a nice sizeable section for all other consoles as well.

Xbox 360 vs PS3 reversal... Confirmed.

Tease.

Saying the Wii won't be like the PS2 is a valid enough prediction. However basing that off of Madden sales is not. The Wii demographic isn't the key target for Madden fans and most Madden enthusiasts that play every year competitively will keep sticking to the HD consoles instead of going to the Wii SKU which has a completely different control scheme they'd have to get used to.

The PS2 was dominant but not all genres thrived best there. It was the console of choice for Madden gamers last generation but shooter games still reigned supreme on Xbox. Likewise this generation even if other gamers flock to the Wii Madden will never be as popular on the Wii as it is on the HD consoles, at least not to the traditional Madden gamers you see on Madden Nation.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

Xbox 360 vs PS3 reversal... Confirmed.

Vin Diesel looks godawful with hair....omg that is scary

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

MARIO KART UNDERTRACKED!111!11...Unbelievably.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Overall Console:

01 NE [360] MADDEN NFL 09: 1.00m (NEW)
02 NE [PS3] MADDEN NFL 09: 643,000 (NEW)
03 NE [PS2] MADDEN NFL 09: 424,500 (NEW)
04 02 [WII] WII FIT: 394,900 (1.82m)
05 07 [WII] MARIO KART: 328,700 (2.74m)
06 04 [WII] WII PLAY: 200,200 (6.60m)
07 06 [360] SOUL CALIBUR IV: 174,000 (393,000)
08 NE [360] TOO HUMAN: 168,200 (NEW)
09 NE [WII] MADDEN NFL 09: 115,800 (NEW)
10 03 [NDS] GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR: 111,200 (843,000)

LTD: [ALL] GRAND THEFT AUTO IV: 4.8m
LTD: [ALL] MADDEN NFL 09: 2.3m

BKK2 said:

Overall Console:

01 NE [360] MADDEN NFL 09: 1.00m (NEW)
02 NE [PS3] MADDEN NFL 09: 643,000 (NEW)
03 NE [PS2] MADDEN NFL 09: 424,500 (NEW)
04 02 [WII] WII FIT: 394,900 (1.82m)
05 07 [WII] MARIO KART: 328,700 (2.74m)
06 04 [WII] WII PLAY: 200,200 (6.60m)
07 06 [360] SOUL CALIBUR IV: 174,000 (393,000)
08 NE [360] TOO HUMAN: 168,200 (NEW)
09 NE [WII] MADDEN NFL 09: 115,800 (NEW)
10 03 [NDS] GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR: 111,200 (843,000)

LTD: [ALL] GRAND THEFT AUTO IV: 4.8m
LTD: [ALL] MADDEN NFL 09: 2.3m

PS3 not too well represented. In the top alone its 2:1 ratio 360:PS3 (sales wise)

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

azrm2k said:
Saying the Wii won't be like the PS2 is a valid enough prediction. However basing that off of Madden sales is not. The Wii demographic isn't the key target for Madden fans and most Madden enthusiasts that play every year competitively will keep sticking to the HD consoles instead of going to the Wii SKU which has a completely different control scheme they'd have to get used to.

The PS2 was dominant but not all genres thrived best there. It was the console of choice for Madden gamers last generation but shooter games still reigned supreme on Xbox. Likewise this generation even if other gamers flock to the Wii Madden will never be as popular on the Wii as it is on the HD consoles, at least not to the traditional Madden gamers you see on Madden Nation.

But it proves the Wii demographic is nothing like the PS2's. It's not entirely about sticking to HD consoles. If that was the case, the PS2 version wouldn't of sold 4 times that of the Wii. I don't buy the "they won't buy it for the Wii due to new control scheme" - Have you played Madden? Control schemes are different each year, as EA adds a bunch of stuff, and mixes up a decent bit of controls for each Madden.

The PS2 *was* dominant in every category - Go back and look at shooters - Just because the Xbox excelled there doesn't mean the Playstation 2 did bad there.

http://vgchartz.com/ayearly.php?year=2004&console=&maker=

What does VGC say the top PS2 games of 2004 were? Grand Theft: SA (Shooter), MGS3 (shooter), Call of Duty (shooter) and so on. There are quite a few PS2 shooters on that list that did fairly well.

The fact is, the Playstation 2 had virtually every demographic. The Wii does not. The Wii doesn't have the hardcore/core demographic of males ages 16-30 like the PS2 had that buy shooters, sports games, and the like. The Wii still has the time and chance to either grow up their users into buying games like Madden, and/or acquire said players due to it's North American dominance, but Madden and it's ilk continue to show that the Wii's target demo is similar to the DS, at least in NOrth America.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.