By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So come on then - who had the best conference??

1. Sony - surprise exclusive (Unreal Tournament 3), new Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer, showed lots of games, and actually showed some interesting new exclusives (I really like the look of Echochrome).

2. Nintendo & Microsoft (Tie) - Both had problems with their shows.

Nintendo didn't seem to show a lot of games which was their big problem, I expected tons of exclusives to be announced considering how popular the Wii is.  I do think their WiiBoard and Wii Fitness are going to be huge though.  Mario Kart was a surprise considering how soon next year it'll be here.

Microsoft did show a lot of games but almost all were for this year, people are more encouraged to buy a console when they know there's great stuff coming next year as well.  They also had no big surprises or new big exclusives to announce. The Halo themed Xbox 360 is ugly as hell and I think even Peter Moore knew it. Also why was Bill Gates not there?  And I couldn't stand the guy who showed off Madden 08 with Reggie Bush. His trash talking was cringe worthy and he was definately not a gamer, just a business suit trying to look cool but looking anything but.

So the big winner is Sony who did *a lot* better than last year and the big loser is Microsoft for seeming to not put a lot of effort into their show this year.

Around the Network

1. Sony B+/A-
2. Nintendo C+/B-
3. Microsoft C-

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

1. Sony
2. Nintendo (though very close)
3. Microsoft (way, way behind)

Nintendo delivered a nifty presentation, very interesting that they're taking online seriously, evolving motion control in new and fascinating ways. Some stupendous games on the way. Clear sailing on blue water.

Microsoft seemed to be delivering last year's presentation. OK, multiplatform titles are nice and all, a few interesting titles, Halo 3 shaping up nicely. But their lack of first-party titles is really beginning to show.

Sony unleashed the katyushas... KABOOOMMM. PSP redesign and more functions, networking stuff looks good. The exclusive deal with NCSoft, one of the titans of Korean gaming is a very, very smart move. Also some fine exclusives, those studios are paying off. But the trailers for MGS4 and Killzone 2 were jaw-dropping -- all in-game footage, no pre-rendering. Hideo Kojima quietly stole the show, as only Kojima can.

Sony won this. The PSP update is kinda "meh" but cool, home can blow off. What won it is the MGS4 and Killzone2 stuff.

Microsoft I'd say comes next, as I was happy to hear almost all the games I wanted were coming out before Christmas.

Nintendo was last, but barely. This is mostly due to the fact no one has described the balance board very well, and I'm stuck at work were all pictures from game related sites are blocked. Yeah, just the pictures. yeah, its really weird.

But overall, E3 keynotes were snorefests. Sony didn't have the blowout showing they needed to get the momentum to swing in their direction, MS announced good games and kept what momentum they had, and Nintendo didn't screw up enough to significantly affect their momentum. Indeed, with WiiFit, they may have gained momentum with the casual market, who is buying up all the consoles anyway.

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

Depends on who is the target, casual/nongamer Nintendo, Hardcore Sony, but since there are more casuals/nongamers, Nintendo wins overall

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

1 sony
2 nintendo
3 microsoft

I'm an xbox fan but sony did a great job, lots of very interesting games, nintendo and microsoft a big disappointment.

donovan517 - Hmm, maybe there are 'millions' of people watching it on g4, but the majoirty of people who are going to hear the news are going to hear about it from the press. And if 'millions' of people are watching the Sony conference on G4 you would think that they ARE listening to a balding guy

Gballzack - I asked this question to, but then I flash backed to last year where we had overlong periods of time of watching people play the games and boring us.

My opinion:

1st - Sony
2nd - Nintendo
3rd - Microsoft

1.Sony

2.Nintendo

3.Microsoft

For the hardcore genre. For the Mainstream crowd and non-gamers, Nintendo 1st. And it's going to show with WiiFit in sales.

Btw, MG4 looked very good but wasn't the fight a bit...stupid? I'm all for exxagerating things in martial arts, but that was a bit lame. (Personal opinion, i'm not trying to flame.) 

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

It's hard to say...

For sure, Microsoft was the worst, but for the other two it only depend of what you were expecting...

From Nintendo I wanted some infos on Smash, we have the release date and confirmation that there is alot of update on the game in the nexts days. We have the release date for Mario Galaxy and another interesting trailer. A full demo of Metroid that really show the capacity of the game, I can't wait to play this awesome game!!!! Mario Kart Wii with full online play and hint at a medal of honor playing up to 32 players online !!! That's already great from Nintendo, now it's to the third pqrties to show their stuff still friday. For the other first party like BWii, disaster or project HAMMER, maybe some hints at GC in leipzig or at some closed event tomorrow or friday.

For Sony, they had to show what they can do and they almost done it. Good presentation in overall, boring speach from Phil and jeff. What made the show was Kojima apperance and the Killzone 2 presentation. They had the occasion to create some hype over some new IP, but they pass most of their time talking about what Blu-Ray can do on their game and not about the games directly. They are going to release new IP to compete with already strong franchise like Halo, Smash Bros or Mario Galaxy. So I personnally think they miss the point there, they should have direct footage of these new IP and try to gave people the desire to buy the PS3 only for these games. And for the Home, I had the impression that they matched the Xbox Live service with The Sims, so nothing impressive for me.

Sony and Nintendo are even
Microsoft is third

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

Sony

Pros

-won the Hardcore audience
-Most titles debuted

Cons

-Terrible Presentation
-Killed off any interest I had in Home

Nintendo

Pros

-won the Casual audience
-best presentation
-Best upcoming game (great sales will lead to more games)

Cons

-almost no new exclusives shown (exception of Mario Kart Wii)
-Pretty much confirmed that Smash Bros wasn't getting online (E3 was the place to mention it)

Microsoft just sucked. They just showed some games that were coming up and didn't show anything new. Movies were kind of nice though.