By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 & Xbox 360 - Are They Living Up To Expectations?

Why is anyone looking at sales in this thread? How about the consoles themselves?

"YouR opinion is WronG!!!"

Around the Network

Starcraft weren't you the one that said the PS3 would win June and July, but that once August started the 360 would win every week? Well, August is over. Quite a few of those vaunted 360 games -- Too Human (awful reviews), Infinite Undiscovery (awful reviews), Tales of Vesperia (certainly wasn't the best reviews ever for a Tales game and the highest they've ever gotten at IGN was an 8.5 to begin with), and the PS3 is still thrashing the 360. Having outsold the 360 according to VGChartz' charts by almost 120,000 units worldwide during the last two weeks of August with no big PS3 game being released since June 12th and even though the 360 has already had one price cut in the mean time. What do you think of that?

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Paul_Warren said:
Starcraft weren't you the one that said the PS3 would win June and July, but that once August started the 360 would win every week? Well, August is over. Quite a few of those vaunted 360 games -- Too Human (awful reviews), Infinite Undiscovery (awful reviews), Tales of Vesperia (certainly wasn't the best reviews ever for a Tales game and the highest they've ever gotten at IGN was an 8.5 to begin with), and the PS3 is still thrashing the 360. Having outsold the 360 according to VGChartz' charts by almost 120,000 units worldwide during the last two weeks of August with no big PS3 game being released since June 12th and even though the 360 has already had one price cut in the mean time. What do you think of that?

If you find my thread (I cannot), you'll find I specified that my theory hinged on and early August price cut.

As the cut will now come in September, my model would have to be adjusted accordingly.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Well my 360 is living up to my expectations.

"If you find my thread (I cannot), you'll find I specified that my theory hinged on and early August price cut.

As the cut will now come in September, my model would have to be adjusted accordingly."

I haven't looked it up, but I think it also said something about how it also hinged on Too Human being a good game.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Around the Network

Depends on your expectations.

If you wanted Wii to sell a lot and be fun its met expectations. If you also wanted it to have higher specs it hasn't fully.

If you wanted 360 to outperform Xbox and deliver decent graphics (compared to PCs at the time) and a strong online experience it's delivered. If you also wanted it to be quiet and reliable it missed those expectations.

If you wanted PS3 to deliver decent graphics (compared to PCs at the time), decent online and HD media capabilities like BR then its delivered. If you wanted it to outsell 360/Wii and cost a lot less then it hasn't delivered.

Given I had pretty neutral expectations all around I'd say each console has delivered very well for what they are and the games they have, but each has some flaws from my perspective (only the 360s and PS3s have hurt their sales though):

360 - too unreliable, paid for online, too damn hot and noisy and the ugliest powerbrick I've ever seen (although improvements have been made over time)

PS3 - too few games for too long, lack of full BC in a consistent manner, too slow to mature online capabilities (although getting their now)

Wii - not enough power... what can I say, I come from PC gaming background and I only think 360/PS3 graphics are acceptable and laughed at PS1/PS2 graphics (for the most part, although some games did amaze me what they got out of the console) so the Wii, while I like the art direction, etc. in many games like SMG, etc. just doesn't look good enough for my tastes (nor does it sit well with the fact I'm replacing all my TVs with HD TVs

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

For me both have exceeded. Mostly given the fact that I didn't think that software would have caught up...brb work

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Years ago, I coudn't even think of buying an XBOX products and was waiting for the PS3 to come out. Then the price was announced (gloups), .... Couples of friends bought the XBOX360 and allowed me for a test drive. I found it amazing, but I wanted to wait for the PS3...then came the delay (re-gloups)... and I was so P*SSED by that, that I abandonned my anti-Microsoft philosophy to buy a 360 (it was the GRAW2 package + 360 PRO).

Aside from the terrible noise (...) and a ROD problem (fixed in a matter of 4 days so that is ok), I'm very pleased by the machine, and especially the online multiplayer experience. As an ex-PC-FANATIC, I appreciate that a lot of PC games are ported on the 360 with excellent quality (Orange Box, the Command and Conquer series ...).

As a hardcore player, I'm not saying I won't turned on the PS3 one day... but so far, there is nothing for me to justify that churn... And as said in this post, my ex-pc-flavor is a strong advantage to the 360. I'm pretty sure that this shameful start of SONY gave the advantage to Microsoft (The launching event in France and Belgium were pathetic ... ).

So YES !! My console is living up to expectations ! :)

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

The Fury said:
What i expected of the PS3 is pretty much as I desired from the one I have. so yes. Wii and 360 never did offer me what I desired.

Which is ?

The biggest problem I have with PS3 fanboys is the lack of verified facts.

It is always : "I think, I feel, I say ...". They never come up with a good story.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

The 360 has surpassed my expectations. The PSWii, I have no comment on either way. Don't take that for what you will, take it for what it is. No comment, I care not to formulate an opinion on those subjects.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.