By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 US price cut is not about turning “profit today”

Tbone said:

Yes but how much money are they villing to lose to do that.

This is Microsoft we're talking about. They have practically infinite money to lose, and given their goal -extending the Windows monopoly to set-top boxes, using games as the vector- practically any expense is worth it if it succeeds.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
Jandre002 said:
I still think Microsoft has a huge demand issue. And the OP stating that Microsoft will drop price again in Europe is a bit ridiculous, unless they really do wanna start selling consoles for cheaper than they sell games lol.

Microsoft is about to have some huge losses coming up, and if Sony does follow suit and drop price as well this will all be in vein.

I just think MS are thinking long term more than anything.

Sony are already losing money on the ps3 so cuts is not an option short term anyway.

MS's back is agianst the wall so to speak, they are being outsold by the ps3 in every region despite the already signifigantly better price and more diverse gaming librairy. I think this move is desperation on their part but I also think this move will benifit them very much.

They are getting money from software... and not just XBOX 360 games....

4 ≈ One

kowenicki said:

I think it was actually a "pc in every home"  pretty much job done then in the western world.  think how much Microsoft are going to make on pc related stuff over the next 10 years.... russia, india and china! huge!

So much nonsense. MS is doomed with its console then.

Because despite people and Bill Gates wanting to rewrite history, some people just won't lose their minds because of lies.

MS is not the one that put a PC in every house, IBM is. That's the IBM PC that entered every house, MS provided the OS.

The IBM PC, having the name IBM on it, being cheap enough (Personal Computer is what PC means), outsold the MAC despite having an inferior OS, just because of IBM name at the time.

MS surely is not the one that put it in every house. Sometimes I have the feeling people believe PC are made by MS.

Around the Network

If Ms really cared about putting consoles in each house they would of went after Nintendo with a $299 pro last year and a $199 pro this year. But they wanted to make a profit and they did that last year, but they also expected to be beating the PS3 while still making money, but they could not do that.

So now they make price cuts across all of PaL in an attempt to beat Soy and they lost. Now they think they can get back in the game with this price cut, but it will fail. By the end of this year Sony will still be selling more PS3's then Ms with the 360.

reask said:
Remember what Bill Gates said many years ago about windows.

His goal was to have a PC in every living room.

Something he pretty much acheived.

Nobody should underestimate MS in my opinion.

They want to win at any cost.

Yeah, he over-paid for a device called Webtv.  This was going to give them the Living Room.  In hindsight it didn't work out too well.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

True, but WebTV was done wrong in many, many ways. I wouldn't be surprised to see them put IE (probably modulo ActiveX) in a future 360 update, and even if they never do it for the 360 they'll definitely do it for the successor system.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

ookaze said:
kowenicki said:

I think it was actually a "pc in every home"  pretty much job done then in the western world.  think how much Microsoft are going to make on pc related stuff over the next 10 years.... russia, india and china! huge!

So much nonsense. MS is doomed with its console then.

Because despite people and Bill Gates wanting to rewrite history, some people just won't lose their minds because of lies.

MS is not the one that put a PC in every house, IBM is. That's the IBM PC that entered every house, MS provided the OS.

The IBM PC, having the name IBM on it, being cheap enough (Personal Computer is what PC means), outsold the MAC despite having an inferior OS, just because of IBM name at the time.

MS surely is not the one that put it in every house. Sometimes I have the feeling people believe PC are made by MS.

I agree 100 % with this statment.

some people act if MS is a hardware company at heart. SONY, DELL, IBM, ACER, Toshiba, HP/compaq, and others are PC makers MS just has there grubby OS standardized in most of them.

Millennium said:

True, but WebTV was done wrong in many, many ways. I wouldn't be surprised to see them put IE (probably modulo ActiveX) in a future 360 update, and even if they never do it for the 360 they'll definitely do it for the successor system.

It's kind of wierd that the 360 doesn't have some form of IE already.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.